Nova Scotia on a Shoestring

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by bgoodsoil, May 13, 2010.

1. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. ke4yyq

ke4yyq Ham

Oddometer:
    Yea, What he said. :clap
  3. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't know you were home? I rode the 2 R80G/S that Nathan has, and would've stopped by had I known. Will you please fix (not rig) that throttle!!!
  4. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it home Brad, though I'm sorry the RR is over. I love reading about your road side fixes.
  5. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
    got my money's worth outta that tire!

[​IMG]
    Oznay likes this.
  6. bgoodsoil

Oddometer:
    I just got home day before yesterday then I went up to a buddy's house for memorial day. I don't intend to fix or rig that throttle. I'm going to replace it! I won't destroy it though, much as I want to, so you can get the reservoir off it.
  7. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    You missed him didn't you.....Did you give Nate a big wet kiss??????:clap

What tire were you running and how many miles??
  8. TylerDurden

TylerDurden moto-slave

Oddometer:
    Brad,

This has been a fantastic ride report! I've never given much thought to riding past Maine, but your photos and stories of our northern neighbors has sold me. You are a master traveler...stealth camping, new friends along the way, numerous "field expedient" (read: MacGuyver) bike repairs, and MAN can you lay down the miles. I really like your motorcycle too. Handsome in the way an old beat up Jeep is handsome: personalized, modified, actually roadside fixable, go-anywhere, and rugged as hell. Can't wait for your next adventure.

TD
  9. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Hey Brad, I'm glad you made it home safe and in one piece but I'm going to miss reading about your ride. Having just retired after 25 years in a Firehouse, I'm planning to spend alot more time on my bike and your trip just gives me something to aim for.
    Thanks for sharing it with us, and reminding us all that life is for the living.

Take it easy, I'm going out riding,
  10. Zeekster

Zeekster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Brad,what did it cost ya(ballpark) how many miles? Loved yer kinda roadridin...:ear :huh :eek1 :lol3

Yeh! I know what a shoestring costs...I'm planning on a trip in August and it would help,I'm jus sayin...
  11. bgoodsoil

Oddometer:
    I'll need to check my credit card but the ride was 21 days(during which I wasn't paying rent!) , 5170 miles, ~$950.

~$450 for gas

$170 was wasted on a ferry to Newfoundland....where it rained for 3 days :bluduh For the rest of my life I'll tell people the picture of that moose cost me 170 bucks

another $65 for the one night I stayed in a hotel. The bike was dying, it was raining and they gave me a garage to work on the bike in but still...that hurts

probably $30 in tolls. I've never been to a part of the country where you had to pay to get on the interstate. $12 to ride i-90E. That's highway robbery! get it? harharhar! :lol3
  12. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Good riding, Brad. Glad you made it home ok, (I knew you would) and sorry the Rock turned out to be kind of a bust. But at least you made it there! Thats something.

Come back up here and play any time you take those NYC trips. I just got a new one of these on loan: :evil

[​IMG]
  13. BMW Kurt

BMW Kurt Philosopher

Oddometer:
    Brad,
    I will making this ride next month. I will be going to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Arches this month (in a car with a wife :cry). About three days after I get back I will head for Nova Scotia. I had planned on going to New Foundland but my school district has decided to open two weeks early this year. I will save that for another summer. I will be making the trip on my GS. If I have half the trouble you had with the airhead I will be sinking that pig in the Bay of Fundy!!!!!

We can swap stories at the Old's Cool Fall Rally.
  14. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    Kids these days. You buy them books, you send them to school, you give them fuel line.... you end up with burned books, unused fuel line, and weirdos left behind at some caves.

I'm so proud. We'll make a proper beer snob outta you yet!!
    I have a fabulous steenky Saison bottled right now. Quite fabulous. I might save one for ya if you make sure and bring me something good from the great white north!

And bring the kids a puffin.
  15. Bulleteer

Bulleteer Aimless Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Excuse me? Nada?

Well, OK. I'm kinda partial to your Dale's clone. :slurp

Let's hoist a few and plan Brad's next wiring repair. :rofl

Don't ride with Brad.
  16. bgoodsoil

Oddometer:
    oh hell...this is what got me in all that trouble in the first place!

I'm looking forward to the wiring. I got a fancy new torch that melts solder like butter. I'll try to come up in the next few weeks.
  17. fle

fle evil ninja knight

Oddometer:
    Amazing! The juiciest RR ever seen. It got it all, adventure, passion, discovery, and all kind of trouble:D

Keep on going man!:clap
  18. keystiger

keystiger rat on a roll

Oddometer:
    LOVE the "oil puking fix" to the sportster.....had the same problem myself on my 92. Every pair of jeans I owned had oil stains on the right inner leg.....took it to 2 Harley shops......was told "its deigned to do that" WTF?!?!?!?! Needless to say I no longer ride one of those........but damn, love the fix guys. :rofl

Might be a marketing/income opportunity in that.
  19. SportsGuy

SportsGuy icanhazdirt?

Oddometer:
    As a Cape Bretoner, who's crossed that bridge about 79,000 times, many on my old GS500E, I'd like to lend you a hand, Brad.

That is the Seal Island Bridge. It crossed one of the Bras D'or Lake. That lake are part of a system which is one of the largest inland salt water lake systems in the world. In fact, ...

Bras d'Or Lake (pronounced /brəˈdɔr/) is a large body of salt water dominating the centre of Cape Breton Island in the province of Nova Scotia, Canada. Bras d'Or Lake is sometimes referred to as the Bras d'Or Lakes or the Bras d'Or Lakes system, however its official geographic name is Bras d'Or Lake as it is a singular entity. Canadian author and yachtsman Silver Donald Cameron describes Bras d'Or Lake as "A basin ringed by indigo hills laced with marble. Islands within a sea inside an island."
    The first Europeans to discover and subsequently settle the area were French, naming the lake Bras d'Or meaning "arm of gold"; this likely referring to the sun's rays reflected upon its waters. The Mi'kmaq Nation named it Pitu'pok, roughly translated as "salt water".
    With an area of approximately 1,099 square kilometres<sup id="cite_ref-canatlas_0-0" class="reference">[1]</sup>, the extents of Bras d'Or Lake measures roughly 100 km in length and 50 km in width. Surrounded almost entirely by high hills and low mountains, the shape of the lake is dominated by the Washabuck Peninsula in the centre-west, Boularderie Island in the northeast, and a large peninsula extending from the centre-east dominated by the Boisdale Hills. The effect of the Washabuck Peninsula and Boisdale Hills divides the lake into northern and southern basins, linked by the 1 km wide Barra Strait. The maximum depth of Bras d'Or Lake of 287 metres is found in the St. Andrews Channel.

How DO I remember all that sh1t from my childhood? Oh, wait... clicky :)

VERY glad you got to experience typical Cape Breton hospitality, too! I spent much of my childhood not far from where you were, just up in the Highlands a bit more. ;)
  20. worthless nut

worthless nut chicken striped

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap

thanks