Nova Scotia or Bust!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Keithag65, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Keithag65

Keithag65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a lot to see in Oregon. I didn't realize it until I moved back here. I'm from the Portland, OR area, southwest Washington, but haven't explored much of Oregon. Joseph, OR and Hell's Canyon are definitely worth visiting. I did them on a dirt bike earlier in 2018.
    I do Utah later in the trip. I really want to go back there and spend some time.
    interceptor1972 likes this.
  2. interceptor1972

interceptor1972 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've heard a lot about Oregon, both on the Pacific Coast side as well as near the Bachelor Mountains and the prairie of Bend and surrounding areas. I'll eventually make my way up that way. Also have another question to ask you where I noticed something you posted, but I'll message you that, if that's alright.
  3. Keithag65

Oddometer:
    Day 16
    August 23rd
    275 miles
    Near Danville, WV to Valley Pointe, WV

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 10.13.54 AM.png

Lots of great West Virginia riding today.
    IMG_E4875.JPG

I really love to get a beer, find a nice quiet place to sit back, and mess around on the phone while relaxing.
    IMG_E4877.JPG

IMG_4882.JPG
    Mane and interceptor1972 like this.
  4. Keithag65

Oddometer:
    Day 15 Cont'd

I covered a lot of ground today and it was some of the best riding ever. Now as evening approached, I was nearing the border of Pennsylvania. It was time to start targeting my next camp spot.

This looks interesting. I think I'll see what's behind it.
    IMG_4883.JPG

There was a trailer and some living quarters behind the church. I thought I'd ask to put a tent down on the grass. A gal opened the door, and when I asked she said, "No, but let me call my husband."
    Well her husband is the preacher and they live here. He was in the small town, and came back to talk to me. He said it would be no problem, just set up anywhere.
    Next thing you know he's offering me the bathroom and shower down in the church.
    The next morning he invites me up for coffee and wants to talk about all my gear and get advice about his camping gear.
    More great people willing to help out a traveler. Oh, and people just love motorcycles!!!
    IMG_E4885.JPG
  5. Keithag65

Oddometer:
    Day 17
    August 24th
    232 miles
    Valley Pointe, WV to Troxelville, PA

The back roads of Pennsylvania are really pretty this time of year.
    IMG_E4887.JPG

IMG_E4888.JPG

They have some funny road names back here.
    IMG_4890.JPG

IMG_E4891.JPG
    gs.08.15 and interceptor1972 like this.
  6. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Isn't Gobblers Nob the home of Punxatawny Phil?
  7. Keithag65

Oddometer:
    Day 17 Cont'd

My goal today was to see the Flight 93 memorial.
    IMG_4892.JPG

IMG_4894.JPG

Just to the left there is where the plane crashed.
    IMG_4895.JPG

I had to turn around and get a picture of this. Direct and to the point. Funny!
    IMG_4902.JPG
    Mane and interceptor1972 like this.
  8. Keithag65

Oddometer:
    Day 17 Cont'd

It was hot again and I was getting thirsty. I found a neat little store, rode to the back, and got my chair out. That shed is a cat pen with about 10 cats in it.
    As I sat there a fox was out in the field milling around. Very nice country out there.
    IMG_4903.JPG

Pennsylvania had been really good to me this day. Beautiful weather. Great roads, and nice people. The people were going to get even nicer later on.

It was getting late and I was passing through a little town called Troxelville.
    I seen a nice church with several people out back. It looked like a picnic or something.
    I thought I'd turn around and try my luck here.
    IMG_4906.JPG

They were having a picnic. I got off the bike and found someone to talk at. Here's how I do it.
    I say something like, "I've kind of got a strange thing to ask you. I'm traveling from Oregon to Nova Scotia and back, and I'm looking for a place to put a tent down for the night. What do you think the chances are that I might be able to stay the night here? I'll be gone in the morning."
    Once you talk to them a bit and they get comfortable with you, most will say yes. In Canada everyone said yes.
    IMG_4904.jpg

I was going to set up on the grass, however by later in the evening I set up under the cover.
    IMG_4907.jpg
    gs.08.15 and joenuclear like this.
  9. Keithag65

Oddometer:
    Day 17 Cont'd

They offered me some food. I learned how to make a mountain pie.
    IMG_4908.JPG

Turn it often so as not to burn. IMG_E4911.JPG

They thought my socks were rad. IMG_4917.JPG

After hanging out late by the fire getting to know folks, I settled in for the night. IMG_4921.JPG

There is a cemetery behind the church. A man and his daughter just saw a bear back there while walking around.
    Then a young girl approached me. They pulled in to tell me that they had seen a bear just cross the road nearby and to be careful.
    Great! More bears.

The next morning one of the ole boys came back to the church to check on me and make sure I was alright. He brought his son to meet me and talk about the trip.
  10. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    :thumb

I've never asked to camp in someone's yard .. think i'm going to try it next trip.
  11. Keithag65

Oddometer:
    They don't all say yes, but you meet some nice people that way.
  12. canadianshark74

canadianshark74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great RR. We love riding in WV and PA, people are really nice. No surprise the people in Canada always let you camp.
  13. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report. What was the reason for the license plate change? Noticed it went from yellow to white.
  14. Keithag65

Oddometer:
    The bike is registered in Tenn. I used another license plate to get me out there. I thought I'd license it one more year in Tenn since its about $150 cheaper than changing over to Oregon.
    RG1984 likes this.
  15. Keithag65

Oddometer:
    I don't think so.
  16. Keithag65

Oddometer:
    Day 18
    August 25th
    198 miles
    Troxelville, PA to Freeville, NY

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 10.40.51 PM.png

My timing turned out to be great to catch some of the Little League World Series in Williamsport, PA.
    Today would be the semifinal games.

I packed up and made the short ride in. I didn't really know what to expect traffic and parking wise. I was hoping I could find something safe and secure to put the bike with all my things. I wanted to be able to get out of my riding gear.

I found a little house close to the stadium that was offering yard parking and he had a shed I could hide my gear. It was real close and worked out perfectly.

I was able to get a good spot up on the bank in right field.
    IMG_4933.JPG

I watched a few innings of the International Semi Final before I got bored. The television time outs made it so long between innings. IMG_4945.JPG

I don't remember little league being like this when I was a kid. Pretty neat place.
    IMG_4931.JPG
    joenuclear and RedDogAlberta like this.
  17. Keithag65

Oddometer:
    Day 18 Cont'd

I got all packed up again and set out to find some food. I'd be riding into New York later and was looking forward to seeing Watkins Glen International.
    I was getting a terrible vibration while accelerating in 1st and 2nd gear. I was hoping a chain adjustment would help. It didn't. More on this later.
    IMG_4951.JPG

There it is. Another state marked off the list. I've been to every state except North Dakota on a motorcycle.
    IMG_4952.JPG

I was just a little late to be able to go in and explore.
    IMG_4954.JPG

A few years back I did make it on to Martinsville Speedway. The gate was open, nobody was around, so what the heck. I did a few laps and took a trip down pit lane. It was awesome.
    IMG_4622.jpg
  18. Keithag65

Oddometer:
    Day 18 Cont'd

More Martinsville from a few years ago.
    IMG_4617.jpg

IMG_4620.jpg

I made it through Watkins Glen, NY and kept heading north. I was soon looking for another place to camp
    I came across this gigantic mowed field, yard, or what ever. It would have made a great driving range.
    The owner just couldn't get over that I was asking to put a tent up out there. No ones ever asked him that before.
    Anyway, him and I got on good and he let me set up. Another perfect spot.

I set up where that grey dot is. This is very near to Dryden, NY.
    Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 11.22.49 PM.png
    The owner said he mows this lawn with a small zero turn mower. Takes him hours.
    IMG_4958.JPG
    interceptor1972 and joenuclear like this.
  19. Keithag65

Oddometer:
    Day 18 Cont'd

I cooked up some dinner, drank a couple beers, and fought off mosquitos as long as I could. It was a good nights sleep. Tomorrow Lake Placid.
    IMG_E4959.JPG

IMG_4960.JPG
  20. Keithag65

Oddometer:
    Day 19
    August 26th
    273 miles
    Freeville, NY to Lake Placid, NY

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 10.28.39 AM.png

I stopped to see how this guy was doing.
    IMG_4964.JPG

I think he's capturing it. IMG_E4963.JPG

It was a real nice ride north towards Lake Placid.
    Yesterday I was in Williamsport, PA watching the Little League World Series, and today I'm watching it on a tv in a little bar in Indidan Lake, NY.
    IMG_E4965.JPG