Nova Scotia...or CCR '07 (Carrot Cake Ride)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by EvilClown, Sep 10, 2007.

1. EvilClown

EvilClown Reality show stunt double Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    After g®eg's excellent NS ride report https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261371 this may be... [​IMG] ...but here goes. (BTW, pics are a combination of mine and Andrew's. His are the good ones.)

Not sure what it all means yet but my wife had suggested a ride up to Nova Scotia might be good. The concept was tossed around a bit back in May during the Hot Springs run. When FreeTheBeast came to his senses and cancelled his long drive out to Bonneville :huh and the opportunity for NS presented itself, I took her suggestion as a kitchen pass 'in hand' and began the 'planning'. Plan: new front tire, replace fork seal (time permitting) toss stuff in/on bike, and GO!

With Labor Day weekend already booked and a track day on Tuesday we had five days left for NS and back. We thought we could make it happen.

We set out at O-dark-thirty with our first stop being Betty's in North Hampton for breakfast. [​IMG] A quick scan of the menu reveals the early bird special: eggs, pork product of your choice and toast for $2.15. Can't beat it with a stick!

Unfortunately, we get so caught up in it all we forget the obligatory food shots! :doh Some nice looking eggs though! After a full belly we continue on our journey.

What no traveler wants to see after several cups-O-coffee.:jive [​IMG]
    The nice man who works here... [​IMG] ...saw the looks of concern and offers up the facilities - mainly because he didn't want anyone wandering in between the buildings to...well you know. Their commitment to clean facilities rivals even that of Irving's!
    [​IMG]
    (Before it starts - just happened to have the camera in my pocket...)

Trying to better understand Kevin's facination with bridges we also stop here.[​IMG] Reminded me of Boston's newest bridge. Some artsy shots...
    [​IMG]
    ...then it's off to lunch at the Riverside Cafe...
    [​IMG]
    ...in Ellsworth, Me...
    [​IMG]
    ...where they have the correct philosophy nailed. [​IMG]

This time we remind ourselves to get the necessary food shots. This is Dave's Israeli Delight...
    [​IMG]
    ...and some kind of burger.
    [​IMG]
    Mmmmmmmmm....4 thumbs up! With no desert we're back on the road.
    [​IMG]
    This is a nice welcome to the blueberry capital of the US.
    [​IMG]

We finally reach the NB border. Carefully avoiding the line with the random cavity searches, we slip into Canada having my passport stamped for the first time - only after asking for it.:deal Is there a downside to that?:ear

We stop for Andrew to study the 'micro' map I had and for me take a 2 minute power nap before continuing.
    [​IMG]
    Not too far down the road we spot this Welcome Centre... [​IMG]
    ...and swing back around to get a full-sized map and campground info. Nice place! Had to get a picture of this sign before leaving!
    [​IMG]
    Back on the road we see a cruise ship in the distance...
    [​IMG]
    ...the view from another bridge...
    [​IMG]
    ...speed limits that finally make sense...oh, they're kilometers:cry ...
    [​IMG]
    ...and some nice twisty roads!:clap
    [​IMG]

We end up in Fundy National Park our first night. The woman at the gate tries to scare us off with the forcast of low overnight temps. She has no idea we hang out on ADVRider.com.:lol3 She can't sway us. (Ok, she almost does but almost doesn't count in this instance.) We have our cold weather gear so we decide to go for it.
    [​IMG]
    First things first. We light a campfire.
    [​IMG]
    *In my best Sundance Kid/Paul Newman voice*
    "Think you used enough lighter fluid there, Andrew?":eek1

Actually, no fire. Just a very brief but impressive light show put on by Mother Nature while we set up camp.
    [​IMG]
    With camp all set up...
    [​IMG]
    ...it's off to find din-nah.

After the first stop announces the dinning room is now closed we get a little nervous. There are only two available to choose from in Alma tonight. Hopefully the other is still serving. Apparently the streets are rolled up rather early this time of year.

Thankfully, Soprano's is still open! The nice lady tells us about the back to school special. It's a 12" pizza with 2 litres of soda. After a day of kilometers I ask her, "What size is that in centimeters?" She points to the 12" pan and says with a smile, "That size." She was a pistol!:lol3 She not only kept us entertained but also set us up with a couple of chicken delicious Caesar salads and a tiny pizza. Just right!

So hungry now we could eat the south end of a north bound horse, we forget the food shots again! You'll have to trust me. It all looked good. The dishes are a dead give away. Presentation is everything.[​IMG] A quick stop at the store for desert and a coffee and we're back to camp for the night. Still full from supper we plan for tomorrow. Breakfast is at 7am...
  2. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast BDR ambassador Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. g®eg

g®eg Canadian living in exile

Oddometer:
    this is great!
    keep it coming
    :lurk

kevin: take note 7am :deal
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vroom Lane!! :super

:lurk :lurk
  5. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    I was awake at 7 every day. I just chose not to get up :D
  6. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    About time we had a ride report.... :D

As for the bridges...well I find the sides to be especially low for bikes. That and the fact I went over the Mackinac Bridge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Bridge a couple years ago on a trip to St Paul. Oh and I had to do it on a windy day on the metal grate side :eek1
  7. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    You didn't go to Bonneville? :cry Oh, well.

On with the report! :lurk
  8. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    Nope. I decided driving 5,000 miles in the pickup w/ trailer wouldn't be all that much fun. Riding 2,000 up to Nova Scotia and a track day on the 4th was a better plan. :clap
  9. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    But there's no wind in Canada.:dunno
  10. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    The overnight didn't seem as cold as she had warned so we decide we made the right choice. [​IMG]

We break camp and head into town for breakfast remembering the wild life we saw on the way in last night. [​IMG]
    We get there in time for 7 when they open...
    [​IMG]
    ...but the staff is still on their way in so we chat with some folks from Colorado while we wait. It strikes me that we are indeed in a whole nuther world when this ad on the bulletin board catches my eye.
    [​IMG]
    Just something you don't see in these parts.

After their 92k commute the rest of the staff arrives. All one of them. By now there is quite a crowd waiting for breakfast. We find a table. We expect this to take a while but it doesn't.
    [​IMG]
    Life is good!
    [​IMG]
    Andrew attempts to levitate his fork...
    [​IMG]
    ...and to my amazement he does! Show off!

We finish eating. Outside after breakfast we notice these across the street...
    [​IMG]

They are quite impressive. Respecting the signage "Please, no photography" we have no photos. Sorry.

Back on the road. Another beautiful day!
    [​IMG]

You can't follow Andrew and not find dirt.
    [​IMG]
    Where's my GSA?

Artsy shot...
    [​IMG]
    ...the classic picture in picture...
    [​IMG]
    ...back at ya...
    [​IMG]

We keep ourselves entertained. Along the way we see this antenna array. [​IMG]

As the miles roll by I wonder if they have made contact with the 'BB heads' yet.

We cross into Nova Scotia.
    [​IMG]

First stop is the Welcome Centre for new maps where we run into Tracy from NC and a silent HD rider from NH.

We also meet Doug, holder of the world record for balancing things like golf balls. Doug works in the Welcome Centre.
    [​IMG]
    Note the license plate. 'W RECORD'. Not sure how we even get on the subject but Doug announces he can balance anything. I immedately offer up my checkbook adding that there's $.34 I can't seem to find. He quickly declines, stating he too is not a financial expert. Oh well.

We continue on our trek.
    [​IMG]
    In the middle of no where we hit a toll 'section' which annoys Andrew to no end. EZ Pass doesn't work here.
    [​IMG]
    Later we agree if it were a bridge or a turnpike we'd understand it but just a 'toll section' in the middle of no where?? What the...?

Must be time for lunch! After doffing and donning our gear at a crowded Wendy's we cross the street and head into Smitty's.
    [​IMG]
    Still haven't figgered out why they serve salsa with the chicken Caesar wrap but it isn't a bad combo!

Andrew tops his lunch off with some rice pudding.
    [​IMG]
    Mmmmmmmm...

After lunch we cross into Cape Bretton...
    [​IMG]
    ....and take in more of the Canadian countryside...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ..."LUKE!"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Up until now we've vacillated between the plan of the Normaway Inn in Margaree Valley http://www.normaway.com/ as a destination for the day or pressing on to Meat Cove for the night. Using the saddle time to finally study the map and think about our itenerary and where we'd need to be by Friday night we're back to our original plan: we'd stay at the Normaway and hit the Cabot Trail tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
    Have I mentioned in the last five minutes the weather was perfect?

We arrive at the inn...
    [​IMG]
    ...and head up the tree lined driveway...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We check in. Andrew goes for a run.
    [​IMG]
    I don't.
    [​IMG]
    Not even a hint of guilt.:1drink

Not sure of the latin name of this spider...
    [​IMG]
    ...but native only to remote areas without cell service, it builds a fairly elaborate trap using wood and other building materials. Once constructed, it places a sign on the outside to lure humans into the trap.
    [​IMG]
    Once inside, the human is quickly disorientated by the lost art of using such an unusual device and finds himself at the mercy of the spider. Luckily I had my handy-dandy Swiss army knife with me and was able to cut my way out just in time!:yikes
    [​IMG]
    Wonder if that fence is electric?:lol3
    [​IMG]
    Scenes from the grounds...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With runs, calls home, unloading etc out of the way, dinner at the Normaway is 4 or 5 courses. I lost count. You can pick between 2-4 choices in each category. Once again we forget the food pics until the carrot cake comes out.
    [​IMG]
    Warm frosting, too! BTW, they made that carrot cake just for Andrew because he asked about it when he called. How can you beat that?

They also offer live entertainment at the Normaway. After dinner we head upstairs where Evette <SP?>is playing a selection of cover tunes as well as her own material.
    [​IMG]
    Pics a bit dark but it's a nice venue up in the sitting room. I find a comfy chair where I fight off sleep for several songs. The last several days have finally caught up. Would stay longer but think the snoring might offend others.

With a big day of riding Cape Bretton ahead I turn in relatively early. Tomorrow, breakfast will be at 7:30...
  11. GSGIRL

GSGIRL Neither here nor there

Oddometer:
    Uhhh. Andrew, take it from me. That is not a very flattering look. You won't meet many girls flaunting that look :lol3
    I LOVE the Normaway. Best damn place on that island.:clap
  12. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    Good report, so far, Mike! :clap

What do you mean, Grace? I was just enjoying some made-with-Splenda rice puddin'. It was yummy! :dg
  13. g®eg

Oddometer:
    one thing though.........

Carrot Cake? :huh
    WTF???????????

you're in Canada.....
    it's Butter tart country :thumb
    ask Merc......

[​IMG]
  14. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    Didn't see any butter tarts... :ddog Probably weren't looking for them. Sounds like a return trip is in order: Butter Tart Ride 2008!

:beer
  15. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    'BTR '08' has a nice ring to it! I'll go pack.
  16. g®eg

Oddometer:
    sign me up!
    you Beemer types need some Triumph guys along?

:D
  17. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    Ok, but breakfast is early.:deal

:lol3
  18. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Have a nice trip :wave
  19. g®eg

Oddometer:
    looks like someone is working too hard........
    is it Friday yet?

:freaky
  20. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Great report. I always wanted to see cape bretten. Got a friend there who kept telliing me how beautiful the place is. You pics pretty much confirmed that :)

thanks for sharing :thumb