nova scotia question?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by c munch, Jun 27, 2006.

1. c munch

c munch Destination unknown

Oddometer:
    I will be going to n.s. on 8/13 landing in yarmouth and heading to the cabot trail.will i need to make hotel reservations or is it not to hard to find a room.Just seems like a p.i.t.a. to reserve a room when I am not sure where I will be. Also where is a cool place to see the bay of fundy tidal change ?
    Thanks boys & girls,I cant wait.

P.S. The happy trails panniers arrived today, :clap :D

Thank's
  2. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
    I'll be planning a trip out there in the end of July. If you go to the N.S. web site you can get a "Motorcycle Tour Guide Nova Scotia" book that's the perfect size for bikers.It has a lot of great info.Hope this helps you out.

Cheers C.
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    You should get a lot of help when posting this thread in Regional Forums Great White North.
  4. TA-Zappa

TA-Zappa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A tip for the Cabot trail is to go up on the west side and down on the east. Can't really tell if it's the right way to do it since I had great weather going up (eastcoast) and fog with less then 100m visability going down the westcoast. Had a few scary moments when you have to trust the GPS to tell you which way next curve will be...

But I guess the ride in nice weather might be one of the best in Canada (I've found another road which is very nice... ;) )

/Zappa
  5. rodmh

rodmh I'm crazy!

Oddometer:
    I live in Halifax and I think it's safe to say that you would not need a hotel on your trip.

Enjoy your ride
  6. TREE

TREE Interloper

Oddometer:
    I always go clockwise up the west coast from the Canso Causeway, better scenery much sooner than running thru Baddeck. Stay on the coast wherever possible, including side roads that are not dead ends. Chimney Corner is a good example of this that most people miss.

Rooms should not be hard to get, tourism took a hit with fuel prices and occupancy has been down in general last 2 yrs.
  7. madmanxwater

madmanxwater Just Ride It!

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading up to the Cabot Trail around that time myself. I'm leaving Windsor on August 11th for a 10 day trip out east. I'm still planning some details but should be up there around the same time as you. I'm not making any reservations but may stay at a B&B one night that a friend owns. Maybe I'll see you there. I can't wait for the 11th!
  8. c munch

Oddometer:
    Thanks,will do.
  9. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    I just got back from an atempt at Nova Scotia / Cabot Trail.
    Took the CAT ferry from Bar Harbor.

After a broken clutch cable, a screw up with the parts guys at Manhattan BMW, and 5 days of rain, I made it as far as Lunenburg / Halifax, and had to turn around head back home and ride back along the Trans Canada Highway. 2 Marathon enduarnce days (550+ miles) with over 2" of rain to get back home.
    So much rain the spedometer and ABS stopped working. (Less than great for 70 mph on the rainy Interstates.)
    I'll try to get the story, with pictures posted, by the weekend.

I hope your trip goes better than mine.
    (Bring an extra clutch and throttle cable.)

Q~
  10. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    If you are talking Cabot Trail I like to go counter clockwise so there isn't anything between me and the scenery. There are also a few sections that you will want to turn around and ride the other way. You'll know them when you see them.

I've never booked rooms when I've been to NS. The B&Bs aren't nearly as cheap as they used to be though :yikes
  11. Ken Ackerson

Ken Ackerson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from doing the loop from Florida, 7,054 miles in 18 days. We headed up the east coast (via back roads of West Virginia, Pennsylvania, NY, Vermont and Maine) to New Brunswick then on to NS and a day on Cape Breton then ferry to NF then up the west coast and ferry over to Quebec for a ride up to Cartwright and ferry up to Goose and then back down trans lab hiway to Baeu Comeau, then a long day down to my friends house in Waterbury Vermont. 2 1/2 days later home.

In NS, lots of rain and fog. In Maine and Vermont rain. In NF, 5 hours of rain. In Labrador getting to Cartright, rain and fog. Clear and sunny for the rest of trip.

No problem anywhere getting rooms except Baeu Comeau and we negotiated better prices always like 2 rooms at Bay of Fundy Highland park motel, $50 each total with great views.

My regret is the same one as always on these trips, time! I feel you could spend a week on each and definately go back to NF for a couple of weeks.

I will adding the photos to my web site soon at

www.kenackerson.com

enjoy your trip!
  12. c munch

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your ummm,interesting trip.What a bummer I hope your next trip makes up for it.

Charlie
  13. Big Nick

Big Nick Deep in SE Asia

Oddometer:
    I got back yesterday and only booked one night at a recommended place which ended up being the wrong place I needed to be. There are tourist information centres everywhere who can hook you up pretty quick. I pulled into one at St Stephen and had a room 40 miles away 2 minutes later at a price I was happy with.

It's a part for the adventure. Enjoy the ride/

Nick
  14. c munch

Oddometer:
    Nick,thanks for the ride report.Nice to see that I am not the only one trying to do this trip in 4 days,maybe 5.

Charlie
  15. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Lots safer when you wanna stop to take a pic. :nod
  16. kcallstate

kcallstate KCAllstate

Oddometer:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>A buddy and I will also be traveling to Cape Breton Island to run the Cabot Trail. We're leaving Rhode Island on Friday the 11th through Maine and New Brunswick and will be arriving at the causeway at Port Hasting linking the island with NS on Saturday night. Sunday to tour the entirety of the island and the Cabot Trail. Headed back along the southern coast of NS to Yarmouth catching the CatFerry back to Bar Harbor Maine then back to little Rhody. I look forward to seeing some of you there!</o:p>
  17. drnova

drnova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am fron NS and IMHO .... The Cabot Trail is best done counter clockwise. Best to join the Trail from the 105 at the South Gut St Ann's to take the St Anns loop rather than the English Town Ferry because the run along past North River Bridge has some nice bends. Don't forget to do the loop off from Neils Harbour, White Point & South Harbour and the side trip from Cape North to Bay St Lawrence and Meat Cove. When in NS..... start early, ride like the wind & stop when you want. .... somewhere to stay will not be an issue.
    The 100 series highways tend to be very boring in NS ..... if you want a list of good roads to run, just shoot me a pm.
  18. Caper

Caper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1
  19. DirtDOG

DirtDOG Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer:
    I never make any reservations exept the ferry. Just wing it.
  20. Gregster

Gregster Been here awhile

Oddometer: