nova scotia question?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by c munch, Jun 27, 2006.

1. c munch

c munch Destination unknown

Oddometer:
    Do you have a suggestion as to the best route to get from yarmouth to the cabot trail.we plan to take the 4pm boat out of B.H. 8/10 and hope to be off the island and in new brunswick by 11am 8/13 heading home.
  2. drnova

drnova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a tight schedule and does not leave a lot of time for side trips ...but you can avoid some of the 100 series roads... best not to hang in Yarmouth .... head up the road a bit and stay in the Shelburne to Liverpool area. The next morning head up to Halifax and cross over either bridge (75c toll, a token or three quarters will do) to Dartmouth and get on the #7 and head up the coast to get to the Canso Causeway then head for Baddeck. I would pre book two nights at Baddeck now and would dump my stuff there whilst exploring the trail and the area on Saturday. Get up early on Sunday and you can make the NB border by 11:00, if you start at 07:30 and use the 100 series highways..... our beer is stronger so if you normally drink 5 or 6 at supper, best only have 3 local beers for that early start.......
  3. c munch

Oddometer:
    Can I avoid halifax and head up the west coast or does that make the trip harder to do if I go counterclockwise.I planned on heading north as soon as we get off the ferry and ride until we got tired or found a place to stay.
    Thanks for the tip on the beer.What if your a lightweight an normally drink one:huh !!!!!!!!
  4. drnova

drnova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To avoid the Halifax/Dartmouth thing ......
    Head out of Yarmouth on the 101 ... there are places to stay at Digby, Annapolis and other towns just off the boring 101 all along the Valley (the look off at Blomidon is worth a side trip on a clear day) . ... after Windsor (269kms out from Yarmouth) you will see exit 5? for the #14. Take the #14 left (as in north east) towards Brooklyn & Rawdon.... stay on the 14 till you get to the 102. Take the 102 north towards Truro then get on the boring 104 that heads for Cape Breton..... boredom can be cured by taking any left off the 104 and heading north until you come to the Northumberland Strait or St Georges Bay then turn right before you hit the beach and keep the water on your left and eventually you will make it to the Canso Causeway .... then head to Baddeck on the not so boring 105. A Baddeck booking should be made in advance. One beer is never enough.... works for peanuts too
  5. c munch

Oddometer:
    Awsome,Thanks alot .....sounds like what I was looking at on the map.My plan was to try to make it to digby to spend the nite after the ferry.

Charlie
  6. drnova

drnova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Digby .... Kingfisher Motel ... an ok place and easy to find, its on the right as you head down town ... after the first set of lights but before the second ......1-800-401-1155
    For an expensive place - The Pines Resort
  7. Gregster

Gregster Been here awhile

Oddometer: