November issue of Two wheels magazine the last.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by gunnabuild1, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    I was gunna just click “ like”, but that’s too easy.
    You are 100% correct.

We rode what we had, with the clothes we had (much of it from Army Surplus stores) with old leather saddle bags, canvas bags, shitty tents or home made swags. . . and often on Jap roadies.
    “Adventure Riding” is a modern, bullshit term to sell products.

If you left a city or big town on your bike in Australia you were adventure riding.
  2. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Oh, surely you jest! :D

It is awful. Just awful.

I subscribe the the UK Bike mag on the ipad. Great pics and writing. Their market is big enough to sustain quality journalism.

Trev from MC News is the only Oz outlet I read. Oh, and of course, Boris.
  3. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  4. Kimi

Kimi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i used to read the bike mags that my brother bought - and then read them for free in the public library when my sons where getting some extra tutoring during high school pre exam stress times.
    I subscribe to the current ADV mag but one thing is that there is so little "other" stuff - yes Karen Ramsey is a goodie but its still the lastest bikes and latest gear and I just can't (and wont spend) that kinda money on touratechy stuff unless i absolutely cannot get it anywhere else. Part of the fun is doing stuff with nothing as per Eaglehawk above.
    (yes i ride a crappy old bike and have second hand gear all bought off Flea market but i love it )

It will be a shame when we have all become "amazon" subscribers with Alexia (?) telling us what to do every day and no independant Aussie voices out there...

(Amazon opened today in case you didn't know - read it in the Cafe "free newspaper" while eating my lunch) 42 % of USA citizens are subscribers and 30 % of shops/malls are on the verge of closing

Will be interesting times ahead ;)
  5. Morro

Morro like a ship in the night

Oddometer:
    Good spotting Woody. That is my bike. There was a couple of Kawa 900s as well.Didn't know anything different. Dirt or sealed we just rode.

Mud Oodnadatta.jpg
  6. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you were one of the "Oodnadatta Arseholes"...

Luckily I rode north from Alice after that Centre Rally, so missed all the fun you blokes had.
    Morro likes this.
  7. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Worst trip of my life was on the back of an R100/7 ridden by the Dutch bloke who was on my own bike when the bus backed over it. Rough dirt, wet, freezing cold and bugger all stops. :-)
  8. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin Inner City Elite

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

@oldmanmuzza putting an SL350 through it's paces (at Hidden Valley, I think)
  9. Uncle Crumpet

Uncle Crumpet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and we never had phones, or toolkits beside the one the bike came with, or compressors, or tyre repair kits, or in my case the ability to change a tyre. But we had bald tyres, and oil leaks, and we rode hard when we could, and we rode fast when we could, and on a good day, we were unbeatable. (in our minds, anyway.)
    moffit virtue likes this.
  10. grrant1058

grrant1058 Motorcyclist 24/7

Oddometer:
    The end of an era. The poor journos didn't even know it was happening until after the previous issue had gone to press.

Have every edition since # 1 September 1968 up until recently. Spent 100's of hours climbing thru old bike shop attics and digging thru boxes at swap meets etc over several years to get the whole collection. Now you just get on E bay and you buy the whole lot from the comfort of your office chair in no time at all! Told my boy he was going to inherit them but he reckons he can google whatever he wants to know so he is not interested. "To the dump" he said. :cry
  11. moffit virtue

moffit virtue Japa

Oddometer:
    And Mr. Smiths zorst pipe will always be there,,,
    OzRider64 and GSnovice like this.
  12. ROB825

ROB825 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Gsnovice, you know, I would pay for some of those articles. Just the other day i was trying to locate any early reviews of a Kawasaki gt550 shaftie that I found and was thinking of restoring, but do you think i can find anything on the net? Nada, zip. Unfortunately, it seems that many of those articles that made us all dream a little, or a lot, will be lost to rotted paper, never having made it into the digital safe of the internet. If you've the Two Wheels review of that bike, I believe it won the Bike of the year at the time, would love to read it.. ah the nostalgia :)
  13. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Got a few oldies floating around here somewhere ?
    [​IMG]
    Identifying dates is interesting
    [​IMG]
    Still time drifting ???
    [​IMG]
    Still going
    [​IMG]
    Don't you love it when someone has these ??
    [​IMG]
    And the big one !
    [​IMG]
    Hope you enjoyed drooling
    Cheers
    Baza
  14. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    I have a couple of issues lying around somewhere, one of them is the first issue, still in school when I bought it from memory and one of the only things that I have managed to keep from my young days, which is a minor miracle.
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  15. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    If my memory is correct , the GT 750 Kawasaki won BOTY in 81 or 82 , don't recall the 550 winning at all . I did about 150,000 km on a GT 750 through the mid - late 80's and early 90's.

Photo0013.JPG
    This pic is my Girl Friend and GT 750 coming home from MT Hope and the AMCN rally there in 89 .

16. crash n bern

crash n bern Long timer

Oddometer:
    In 1970 I was home from school sick. I went with mum to the op shop to get some Commando comics to read. They were out of them but I found two issues of Two wheels so I bought them. From that moment on, my life was ruined. I threw away education, careers, friends, relationships and money all in the pursuit of motorcycles.

Stupid magazines.
    moffit virtue, robmoto and laurient like this.
  17. Vince

Vince Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am missing maybe 3 or 5 for the whole set, for those that might know what happened to Kel Weine sp, Mr Gonzo journalist supreme.I have heard some insane stories that never made the mag about him.
  18. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    Post of the year material. For me a similar thing happened around 1980 when I read my first ADB.
  19. roscoau

roscoau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More recent tests were just regurgitated press releases. They became irrelevant long ago.

Sent from my QT-10.1 using Tapatalk
  20. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    I always remember the early 2 Wheels mags used to test 250 or 350 two stroke road bikes and could never get the same performance figures like the manufactures claimed.

They used to say.. "Japanese test riders must weigh 4 stone (25.5 kg) and have bullet shaped heads".
    numbat likes this.