now this is driving me nuts...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by inte, Jun 22, 2005.

1. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    you attach the long rectangular thing to the wrenches for leverage on the axle nut

nice they give you the bottle opener so you can pop a beer and contemplate the fuel pump change out. The question is are these tools enough for that on the side of the road?
  2. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    You'll NEED the spark plug tool- there's no way to get them out without it.

You'll notice that it has very fine splines on the drive section... the reason is that you can get about 1/8th of a turn on the front spark plug before it bottoms out on either the radiator or the oil tank. Thus, the fine splines allow you to keep resetting and getting that 1/8th turn... important if your motor has filled itself with gasoline. :bluduh

I'd been wondering about a helmet lock. I did not get the mystery cable. Where does it connect- somewhere under the seat?
  3. furndog

furndog at least it's orange Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm missing, from that picture, the two smaller allen keys, two larger open end wrenches, the large socket and the mystery cable. Which I believe is actually a tow strap (can't tell how long it is in the photo) since I didn't have one in my kit, an 05.5, I assume all the updates have been done at the factory and I will not need one. There is some kind of wire hook under the seat near the back of the air cleaner. Wonder what that is for? I have an old beater helmet that as been upside down more times than I care to remember and I lock it to that loop welded to the side stand
  4. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Look under your seat there is a groove in the plastic boxs that hold your tools that is where the handle the spark plug tool fits maybe yours is there and you did not notice it
  5. hogmolly

hogmolly Dude

Oddometer:
    One thing I learned the hard way is the kit needs a 17mm-19mm combination open-end wrench.
  6. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    may not be a concern but I always bring spare bulbs, fuses (albeit not for the 12GS), etc. in a handy tray type of container. It packs better in the luggage case and if packed properly will never open
  7. phixmup

phixmup возьми Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In mine is the 2 larger opened end wrenchs, 1 allen wrench & no helemet lock cable. You can run the helmet cable under the handle bars between the clamps & place the helmet on either mirror, i just used the cable that came with my bulldog cailper brake, its even orange.
  8. Reformed DucFlogger

Reformed DucFlogger Inventor Of The Wheel Mk2

Oddometer:
    ...note that if a new owner building your own kit, DO NOT go off the manual re: bolt and nut measures.

Measure each nut with metric calipers/thread gauge BEFORE buying/packing the tools.

The manuals for the 950 and 640 are notorious for listing random nut/bolt sizes - and for simple maintenance routines that are 3 years and as many model changes old.

Example (2005 640 manual)

Front axle collar nut: 16mm
    Reality: 32mm (same as 950 as is 950 front end)

Rear axle collar nut: 20mm
    Reality: 27mm

While it's obvious when you look at the bike that the listings are too small, if you just packed your tool roll by going off the manual before a trip.....

A further 2 cents:

1. Extra 6mmx1.0 and 8mmx1.25 stainless hex bolt sizes of different lengths.
    2. small brass brush to clean the !@#$%^ shit wax-like threadlock they use on the factory bolts off before re-installation.
    3. Mini Sharpie marker (come with key chain ring) for making index marks on things like rear chain adjustment bolts, etc.

As some have mentioned elsewhere, using the kit tools only to work on the bike when you first get it is a GREAT way to build a list of what is missing and thus needed and what is shit and needs replacement.

Example: lossening/tightening rear axle nut to adjust chain, etc., using kit wrench requires said wrench, a rock (no leverage from short handle) - a recipe for a damaged nut and/or fuggered kit wrench. Solution - 27mm socket and a low-profile ratchet (or breaker bar)

That being said did see this neat Husky 3/8" ratchet with an extendable handle at HD that would be sweet for the job....
  9. TIM I.

TIM I. and some dry white toast

Oddometer:
    Has anyone actually found a dealer who will agree that the spark plug wrench below is suppose to be in the kit? If so I need a phone number of your dealer. My dealer contacted 2 reps at KTM NA and both say no spark plug wrench comes with the tool kit.... and my dealer is very willing / anxious to hear if another dealer has a different take.

beneath the seat there is a cutout in the plastic for some type of (missing) tool but not big enough for that 3 piece tool.

I also asked my dealer to ask KTM , if the 3 piece tool is not std equip, what the hell are we suppose to use? the mechanic was there and even spoke up to say, unless the bike is apart, it's going to be very hard to get the front plug out,,,, impossible is what I heard.

?

10. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    Ask them to order you a brand new one and see what comes in it. It *should* be in there.
  11. TIM I.

Oddometer:
    k7lro...yep I tried that, no go since
    1) ktm NA is saying there is none
    and
    2) they pulled the toolkits from other 950's, no wrench in any.

their theory is that either
    1) that's not even a ktm tool
    or
    2) or a from another ktm dirtbike line.

I showed my dealer this thread too.

i just want my wrench.
  12. k7

Oddometer:
    What does your dealer show part number 60029099000 to be? There are too many of us that have this wrench and have used it not to be the right part....
  13. TIM I.

Oddometer:
    ohhh cool, thanks lro, I'll be on the phone bright and early .... [​IMG]

where'd you find it? I looked in the chasis parts book but I thought it only showed the whole toolkit as 1 p/n.... maybe I missed it.
  14. k7

Oddometer:
    Sorry... didn't mean to mislead you. That is the part number for the entire kit. If it were me, I'd order the entire kit and if the spark plug wrench is in it, have another discussion with KTM. I wouldn't order it from the local dealer either.... www.ktmtalk.com has an on-line shop with a 15% discount. I know..it's like a $110 bet but it may be worth it to confirm your issue.

Again, too many people have the sparkplug wrench. In fact, you should do a poll here to get some real data.... I'll set it up if you don't mind.
  15. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    After much emailing, telephoning, virtual armtwisting, and hair pulling...
    I have finally managed to put together a proper complete KTM toolkit for the 950, including the elusive spark plug wrench (all 3 pieces!), the mystery cable, and an orange KTM pen (all in a cute pu$$y pink tool bag :huh ). Only took a few months and two incomplete shippments. Still have some extras from the 450/525 kit that came with the bike originally. I think the dealer took care of it as a warranty item (but I really don't give a $hit).

The pictures and links in this thread (and this thread itself) were a HUGE help.
    Thanks all!

- Matt
  16. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    Well my toolkit saga ended ... at least for me ... with the arrival of my spark plug wrench this week. I took delivery of the bike on May 8

... and finally got the stuff it was supposed to come with this week.

:patch

As mentioned in some of the above posts ... the dealer simply suggested they send an entirely new kit under warranty & I ship mine back to them.

This is what arrived:

[​IMG]

I pointed out there's no sparkplug wrench & they weren't amused ... BUT ... did send one out a few ... months ... later. So the kit is complete enough for me now ... a few things I opted to just buy myself that I'm amazed the kit doesn't come with (some probably do as these things seem to be completely random in their contents):

* 6mm allen (can't remove tanks w/o & it doesn't come with one? :huh )
    * 13mm socket to fit the included T-handle (still haven't been able to find one of these, but I found out the hard way it's necessary for certian things

DANG!

I just noticed.

No pen.

Guess I'll have to start the process over...
  17. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    6mm allen. Isn't that what is on the handle of the T-handle.
  18. k7

Oddometer:
    If anyone has an extra cable, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Yes... I'm a cheap bastard - we already established that right Ant?
  19. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:

uh ... I'm guessing your right. duh. didn't think to check.

Is there a 13mm socket hiding somewhere as well?
  20. mats#10

mats#10 The swede from Sweden

Oddometer:
    I use the extension handle for the axlewrenches to remove the axle.
    Fits perfect.