Now vs Later

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Academy, Feb 3, 2017.

?

Are you more likely to plan ahead or "sell up"?

1. Sell up

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. plan for the future

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Academy

Academy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I often wonder why some people plan trips far into their future while others will "sell up" and take off on their dream adventure.

When I read or hear other people's stories I wonder.......how do I know I will be around to do that future dream ride OR how do I chuck it all and leave now not knowing what will happen when I get back?

Which camp do you subscribe to?
  2. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a wife, mortgage, and a kid in college. I stick to the planning. Dreaming is free.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    FloydNY, Maggot12 and willys like this.
  3. Tom D

Tom D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I almost never plan. with a plan too many things can go wrong, without a plan almost nothing can go wrong.
    Bucket1960 and knight like this.
  4. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

One should be responsible in making such a choice.

If your have minimal commitments to others...easier to do......if your life involves commitments to others. ..then not so easy to do.

Scott
    FloydNY, NJ-Bill and willys like this.
  5. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    If I were to win the Super Lotto and didn't have to worry about funding my adventure(s) I'd take off as soon as I can buy the gear I WANT not the gear I can afford.

Most of the other inmates have already said it; family, commitments, and other responsibilities.

Plus knowing is half the battle - no matter where you go, there is a level of required planning; destination, routes, crossing borders, maintenance and such..
    willys likes this.
  6. Academy

Academy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea I think thats the key
  7. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes i agree also, these folks who simply up and leave can't have a family network or any financial respocibilities to deal with imho...or how would they be able to up and go? It's just the simplest of things in every day life that can stop your thought process on simply up and leaving.....I just don't understand how you can work all your life for your stuff, to just sell it all for a 5 year adventure only to have to rebuild once you get home? It just baffles me.
    OK, now, if you were told well sir, you have X number of years left, use them to the fullest...then sure....you may as well. But also if you have children and wish them to have a strong start in life, usually they are given the proceeds of your life after you're gone...but if you sell up and then come back and have zero.....sorry kids, we went on a 5 year vacation and spent it all, can we live in your basement? lol.
    I just don't know....and I'm not the family sort either and sort of find it hard to sell up just to ride around the world. I can see taking out a loan or spending some of the money I had saved up , but never to risk living in poverty after the trip just to say I did it....it was fantastic....now what?
  8. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I generally hit the road each year for the month of September.
    I will have a general plan as to where I want to go and what I want to see, but the times I arrive there are open.
    I only make reservations for motels for the weekends.
    Almost every town of any size has some sort of college in it and September is football season.
    The visitors always pack the Motel 6.
  9. Skootz Kabootz

Skootz Kabootz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a combination of both. I have always been able to do day trips, even overnighters, but after my first two weeklong+ trips last summer I am hooked and craving more. So right now I am planning a 30-40 day trip that at present I have neither the financial means to do nor the technical riding skills to complete. But rather than this slowing me down it is precisely what is motivating me. I am practicing my off-road skills to get them where they need to be to safely ride a couple of BDR routes, and I am trying to build and launch a new internet based business that I can operate from anywhere with WiFi so that my income stream can continue while I am riding. So both Selling-Up and Planning For The Future.

Wish me luck!!! :-)
    Parcero likes this.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    Good luck - so I take it you have no ties to keep you home and are going solo?
  11. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I voted for sell up because I did when I was 33, I would probably not do it again at 55 but don't need to if I travel. Selling up and heading off is not for everyone but I have never met anyone who has done it and regretted it.
    Shake_N_Bake likes this.
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    You need a BIG adventure BEFORE you settle down. Then when things are settled and money is in place you can have another BIG adventure.
    Parcero likes this.
  13. Academy

Academy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea but that first step has to be hard
  14. Skootz Kabootz

Skootz Kabootz Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I can pretty much do as I wish in that I have no wife or kids, and I am working on changing any other aspects of life which might keep me bound to one place to enable a new more funner life — but I still need to maintain an income and the means to travel... and friendships... and have a place to come home to. So there are those logistics to consider.

As far as traveling solo goes, I love traveling solo and I am preparing as if I am going to do it all solo... because I am going to do this no matter what... but I'm thinking most likely I'll be riding solo for some of the time and with various different people along the way at other times. This part is still TBD.
    black 8 likes this.
  15. black 8

Oddometer:
    Cheers and more power to you...

I am enjoying retirement nowadays. I have a very supportive wife (used to me being gone for extended periods due to previous line of work) and I consider home as a base camp for which to plan my moto adventures. So far cross-country from San Diego to Key West is done. Planning for Deadhorse this year. Future plans for TAT, Newfoundland, and Mexico (Baja California side) the following years. I just had to grin and bear it for 30 years to enjoy my new found freedom.
    Skootz Kabootz and willys like this.
  16. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is just it, IF you have an understanding wife and family you can get away for 1 to 2 months every summer as long as they can go somewhere themselves either with you or with the kids etc. It's a trade off type thing. I have travelled each summer except last summer on my bike, but last summer I did it in a cage with my cousin from England, who if you know anything about camping in England it is in a farmer's field bewtween lumps of cow shit and very organized so to speak. So I took him across the Trans-Lab Highway and throught the meritimes. He saw 17 different types of animals he hadn't seen anywhere else in the world. From simple squirrels of a different colour to moose and whales, porpoises....you get the drift...It was a success. So a great adventure ....
  17. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I plan for the future, but it isn't pie in the sky. My wife and I sit down and make an actual list of goals on paper: trips and purchases for this year, 2, 5, and 10 years. Retirement too.

Sometimes it's a motorcycle, a kitchen remodel, or a trip to Isle of Man. 90% of the time, we meet those goals.
  18. Tom D

Tom D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sorry, but it doesn't work that way, at least not in my case.....heres the back story.

i am 14 years old and planning a cross country motorcycle ride with my friend rodney. well life got in the way and priorities changed, we never took the ride. 40 years later a doctor told me to get my affairs in order, things are about to get real hairy. as i was doing battle with stage 4 cancer i reflected on my life and realized that the one thing i regretted was never taking that ride. things looked pretty grim and there's no way i was going to fit in a motorcycle ride, nor was i even in the condition to do so.

to that point i had never been sick, nothing other then the typical kid diseases. in fact i was in excellent health and then just like that we were talking about a very small amount of time. the next four months was total hell, surgery, chemo and radiation treatment left me wishing it would all just end.

fast forward to year four and the same doctor explained they might have it under control. he didn't have to say it twice, i gave up my home, put everything i valued in storage and dumped the rest. i spent the next couple of months tying up loose ends and off i went, 24,000 miles and 10 months traveling around the county on the back of a motorcycle. i will never wait again until somebody tells me i only have x amount of time before acting on something i want to do!

i am also happy to report that today, 9 years to the date, i am cancer free.
    Dan Man, Teutates74, Perkio and 13 others like this.
  19. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    You have to prioritize.

I always wanted to tour the whiskey distilleries of Scotland. As I got more into motorcycling and learned about the Isle of Man TT, I realized I needed to make this trip while I was relatively young. You see, I am diabetic, and none of it will be the same later in life. Best month of whiskey, beer, and racing ever! So glad I did it now. :drink

My wife wanted to go overnight backpacking into wilderness. That was another one better done in youth, so we did it. Damn near starved relying on fish for food. :lol3

I also want to see the fall colors on the east coast of the USA. I can do that when I'm older. :gerg
    eakins and willys like this.
  20. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doing a motorcycle tour through the scottish distilleries will be a shame. All that scotch and having to stay sober enough to ride. What a shame.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk