Now vs Later

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Academy, Feb 3, 2017.

?

Are you more likely to plan ahead or "sell up"?

1. Sell up

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. plan for the future

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:

OK will try this again but shorter....lol

You know nothing about me except that you don't like what I said about riding into mexico...which is what you are acting upon I see.

I ride up to 2 months of the year , every year to anywhere i choose, all over Canada and into the USA.
    I travel within my means, I require funds. 99% of us require the same .
    We all have regualr jobs which demand our time. We all have families I assume that keep us grounded and semi responsible. That is how 99% of us are wired...it's only the 1% that are not. Look at the majority of folks here and on other sites.....they all fall into this 99 percentage I bet!...We all value our family, friends and possessons more than a ride to fullfill our dreams. Most people here can't get much more than a few weeks off work before that effects their position at work or their family life. You are making their dreams seem small and inadequate imho...which is a great way to impress people etc. You have a map company which relies on people dreaming and buying maps from you to see where it is they wish to ride to , if at all. So keep belittling their dreams, seems a good strategy to me...Hmmm...? Most riders here also never go further than a few days away from home and are quite happy they can do just that! Most people here think a ride to Alaska is the ultimate ride, or maybe it's Florida, or the Cabot Trail, Or somewhere else some of us think is a simple few weeks to get done. Think about the general person here who is dreaming of an adventure....not everyone can drop it all and leave....Even you say you come back to regroup and then go for another 2 months, hardly dropping it all or selling it all and leaving....as well as running the maping company. most would need to leave their employment completely, sell their homes, toys, crap as you put it add it all up and go hoping it would be enough....sounds sensible to me and i'm NOT the most rational person here either! I have crap as much as if not more than the next guy....loads of it....too much to simply sell for pennies on the dollar simply to do an adventure for a few months or maybe a year. It's not required to see the world anymore.....simply save up and do it on a small scale....and keep your hard earned crap.

So keep up with the negative sounding posts destroying people's dream rides and keep selling maps for those dreamers ....Hmmmm....?

Your turn...DOH....
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    My response was to your point that after a 5 years tour people need to then buy at that stuff again...And you don't get it. Why bother is what you effectively said.

My response was then to point you change in those 5yrs and don't want to go back to needing all that stuff and lifestyle. I used personal experience but know this to be true from others too.

My response was you've probably not done a trip like that and if you did you'd get it.

I'm encouring people to buy less stuff and travel MORE, not squash dreams. I'm very vocal on that and use reverse psychology at times. I do not mean to offend you and sorry I have. I'm hard hitting to the point.

Our whole biz model has always been to show people thru our maps where to travel and see our beautiful country. Maps are just a tool to a travel dream and buying too much stuff is a deterrent from achieving that dream.

Like I said "one day" is often another phrase for never..I work to turn that "one day" into "I'm planning for..."

Thanks, Bill
  3. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    No....the way you come off is to put down the average joe and his dreams...plain and simple....if you think differently fine but that is how you come across...plain and simple...You are not squashing any of my adventures. I do them every year and do not listen to people such as you who say it must be done one way or the other.
    I simply live within my means as does everyone with any sense for their future...unless living on the street is OK by them, which is their decission and personaly that is OK with me, far from it to judge what others want.
    I like and i bet 99% of us also do, our possessions we purchase along the way.
    You don't get it....you are in the 1 % range of people who can travel for more than a few months without it seriously effecting their complete existance. That existance is what most want to keep. They like it. They simply wish to do the week or month long dream ride some day. You have ridden as i have to more places than the average guy even dreams about doing. The difference is...I say do your best to get there, where as you suggest do the extreme and you won't know what living is until you have gone and done it.....That is dream killing as I see it. Because 99% simply can't even comprehend doing it. So their 2 week ride becomes worthless or inadequate as a true adventure to brag about to theiir buddies or even here . You see people post all the time thinking they have ridden somewhere fantastic, and to you or I or others who have done far more, simply thing OK, now where you going? What's next as we have done this ride many times or now think it's a simple achomplishment because of what we are used to.
    So to those who dream of selling it all and going, great, have at it....just don't look down or speak down to those who wish they too could also one day join this group of respected riders, but never will in reality.

They buy your maps.....drueling over far off dreams....which is what we do, then the guy who sells them those maps says now, you don't know true adventure unless you sell everything and become a world traveler...Hmmmmm....strange business moto to insult your customers....and shit on their adventures as small as they may be, but to them massive!

Perhaps it's time to step away and look at your approach and see it from another angle...?
  4. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    There are organized tours of the distilleries (we saw their bus driving around), but we preferred our own pace (sometimes faster, and sometimes slower).

Most of the distilleries give each person 2-4 partially filled shot glasses, generally adding up to about 1 shot total, as well as water. The maximum was Dewar's/Aberfeldy, who gave 4 shot glasses, 1/2 full each. I was the taster that day, and also opted for the premium tasting of Aberfeldy 25 straight from the cask. (this is in the top 2 whiskys, in my opinion, since they were still using peat back then :yum) Needless to say, I left there in a very good mood.

[​IMG]

The driver can take a tiny sip of everything without ever catching a buzz. The passenger gets all the left overs, plus their own sample. We hit about 4 distilleries per day (2 before lunch, and 2 after), so the passenger sometimes caught a decent buzz but not excessive. The good thing about the spirits being sampled is that they are very high quality, so no hangover.

I hope to do a similar trip through the southern USA in the next year or two to see the Bourbon Trail.
  5. gpracer171

gpracer171 Kodak Courage

Oddometer:
    I did basically sell most all my "stuff" (all that would not fit in my enclosed race trailer) and move to Europe for 3.5 years. And traveled to 32 new counties around the globe plus others I had already been to before.
    I will say in Eakins' defense that once you have done this type of a change, you are different upon return and need less stuff. This was my experience even with having a home base in Europe. I was just fortunate to have a job that enabled and paid for the travel.
    As for Willis, I get where you are at. Do not look down or minimize others who are "going big" in their view, even if small to others. However sometime it is just that extra push that could get some moving from full stop. The old pendulum concept, push further as you know they will not achieve the extreme you pushed to but will move further than otherwise had they not been pushed so far.
    I am thank for and support anyone who goes and makes these adventures (big or small).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    knight and willys like this.
  6. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    Hopefully this isn't going to devolve into "my way is the only right way". We all have different priorities. Hopefully reading some of these posts will give us all ideas on how to fulfill our dreams of adventure, toys, or both.

I have a wife, a job, a house full of plants, couple of motorcycles, a vintage muscle car, and a pet cat. That is a fair amount of baggage tying me down, but I still experience adventure. I would have to sell it all to get away for 5 years, but I can manage 4 weeks every 2-3 years. We leave the cat with my mother-in-law, and we put all the outdoor plants in a circle around a sprinkler set on a daily timer. The indoor plants go in the bath tub with 6 inches of water. We overpay our credit cards and utility bills so that the bill that comes while we're gone has a balance of zero.

A few of our trips have indeed been life changing. Experiencing different cultures, meeting people from across the world and discussing politics over a beer(s), seeing things that make my jaw drop. etc. I come back a different person each time. That is why I don't go without my wife. We grow and change together, not apart.

[​IMG]
    boatpuller, knight and willys like this.
  7. Tom D

Tom D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    here's an angle you might not have thought of.....what if he has a map company because of his travels?

I get your point about (99%) people wanting or rather needing security in their lives, even I who have lived everywhere from New England to California to the PNW, from the deserts to the mountains and the forest likes to have some sort of security.

But! travel can change your mind about what security actually is, it opens new possibilities, can create new careers. have a family? take them with you. own a home that you plan on funding your retirement? rent it. have a close knit group of friends? make some more out on the road.

our biggest fear is of the unknown and so we cling tightly to what we do know. when I was young I use to stress over supporting myself, but then as I aged I realized that it's not that hard. the first big motorcycle trip I took I stressed every morning about where I was going to sleep that night and then it dawned on me, no matter what i always find a place to sleep! life happens whether you plan for it or not. if you're intimidated by the unknown then don't step outside your comfort zone, but if you're like me and excels in unfamiliar situations then get out there, put yourself to the test.
  8. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    Good post. :thumb
  9. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please don't get me wrong....If the sell it way is your way then great, but, as i said 99% of the crowd can't or won't.... so stating that one way is someway more superior to the other isn't right....especially when the other side is doing their best to get out in any way they can...
    I say enjoy what you can when you can to the fullest, no matter what that is.
  10. terryboyle

terryboyle n00b

Oddometer:
    The post by Tom D nails it, I won't be waiting until someone tells me "you need to get your affairs in order"

There is always a reason to put it off and stay home.
    There is a cost to selling it off and starting over.
    The thing is, there is not an unlimited amount of time to do things. There is no guarantee you will have the health to travel in 20 or 30 years, nor the means to afford it.

I traveled for 9 months in 2015 with my girlfriend, Sold my car, gave up the apartment, cancelled the cell phone/ínternet/cable TV and gave my son all the furnishings except for a bed. My girlfriend quit her job, sold her car and condo. She relied on savings, I have a modest pension. I spent less money travelling than I did living in the city.

Your mileage may vary.
    boatpuller, Switchglide12 and willys like this.
  11. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Terry , just curious where do you live now, rent own etc, did you have to start from scratch again, how old are you...sound old enough to have already done the sheltered lifestyle...?
    fantastic trip I bet, where'd you go?
    9 months would be great i'm sure, but still within grasp without completely destroying my life and what I have now....Hmmmm....?
    I'm all ears....please let us know all about your trip if you would....thanks.
  12. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    That is an interesting point. Hopefully I can do longer trips once I retire.

I read there is a growing number of elderly people who are opting to travel rather than check into a rest home. Many choose cruise ships, saying the weekly rate is cheaper than the rest home, the food is great, and they get to see the world. They just keep changing cruise ships to visit different parts of the world. These are generally people who are too old/weak to hold up a motorcycle, or travel on their own, but I applaud them for getting out there any way they can.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cruise-ship-living-retiring-to-a-life-at-sea/
    knight, Switchglide12 and willys like this.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    "99% of the population won't do it"

Are we talking about riding a motorcycle or taking off and traveling here ??? :-)

Proud to be the 1%!
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Heck yeah!
    If your job is to ride a motorcycle that's winning in my book.
    We all have choices...how we live, where we live, even how we make $.
    Everything else is just an excuse.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Considering how much retirement homes cost these days, I'd say that is an awesome alternative.
    willys likes this.
  16. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...still at it eh.....lol

99% or us riders won't sell it all, just to go on an adventure like what you are speaking of. Hmmm...why try and twist my words etc, we are speaking in an adventure riding site about adventure riding and selling up or doing simple smaller adventures...so, thinking that you will bring into the conversation the general public is comical....keep trying...also going on a 2-6 month adventure isn't worth selling anything for imho. Unless you are 20 and have just begun to get into the adult world so to speak and haven't yet landed a long term employment opportunity. IF you do choose the sell it all option at least go for multiple years and do it right, otherwise simply save and go and adventure what you can afford and be happy with that....but that's just me....what's next....?
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    "destroying my life"

I don't think you grasp the concept of traveling and how it affects your life?

https://www.fastcoexist.com/3043858...uld-spend-your-money-on-experiences-not-thing
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/ilyapoz...money-on-experiences-not-things/#61932e63ba93

index.jpg
    knight likes this.
  18. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry you're not worth the effort to banter this topic back and forth any more....common sense dictates what normal people do to live with a family and friends and their need to put down roots....so feel free to do as you please, and the rest of us loosers will keep on living our waste of time lives....as you see it...simply waiting for our time to run out wishing we had done something that matched your greatness....It's almost comical when you think of it this way....wonder why so few do it your way?....I guess it's because it so appealing to everyone.....or is it we all are sheeple and can't make up our simple minds to follow our deepest desires...to constantly travel...Hmmmm....?
    I wonder....you must be completely right....carry on....I'm out now....simply not worth the time wasted ....see ya.....
  19. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    I for one, am confused at what just happened here. :scratch
  20. Tom D

Tom D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    willys, don't act like that, its so child like. you make valid points and there are many here that probably need your reinforcement, but on the other hand the same can be said for eakins, thats what a debate is all about. how can discussing anything you feel passionate about be a "waste" of time? a man is saying to you, 'try seeing it from my point of view' and you fold up and go home. it speaks volume in favor of your position.

i personally think that your argument is valid, but i also know i wouldn't go on a trip with you. you're too apt to stay comfortable with what you know and less likely to try something daring.
    Switchglide12 likes this.