Now vs Later

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Academy, Feb 3, 2017.

?

Are you more likely to plan ahead or "sell up"?

1. Sell up

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. plan for the future

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    TD...Hmmm...I'm not interested in trying to force someone to see it my way after spelling it out many times just to get the point across to help others who it seems he doesn't give two shits about. If they don't do it the full out way it's not good enough to be called a true adventure in his world. So again, it's not worth the effort. it only goes down hill from there...I have found especially on this site. It's a well known place for trolls to sucker people in and then get them roasted while they are trying to show the other side of the coin.
    As for riding together I do my own thing with the guys I ride with and don't ride with new folks for an adventure after being disappointed in the past. 3 out of 5 times....when traveling with folks on an adventure especially one where you are gone for weeks if not months, it's best you click so either or all the people don't get pissed over stupid shit similar to this topic. I usually do a few trial camps with new folks now to get a good feel for them, geese this sounds very gay all of a sudden doesn't it....lol.!!!! As for doing spontaneous stuff, I'm always game as long as my health won't get destroyed over it. I have a damaged neck which hurts like a bastard after stupid shit that normally wouldn't hurt a normally fit person....but I'm still very stupid and do still do stupid shit! Two years ago at my son's house with his new pool I jumped off the balcony railing into the pool a good 20 feet down....took me a week or so to get over that shit. So, I can be adventuristic and do ride where ever I want to get to to say I've made it there or seen such a thing.
    But I'm done arguing over what is best for the rest of the forum on which is best to ride your own personal adventures.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Just stating my view points that's all. You have yours, I have mine.
    No worries man, it's just a web forum.

... so, if you care to carry on, can you define "normal people" for me?

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well."
    Alfred Adler

When I get to know people they always stray from normal eventually.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Back to the group conversation as it's great to see the differences.
    Here are the current results. 1/3 sell it and take off, 2/3 plan for another day.

Are you more likely to plan ahead or "sell up"?
    1. Sell up
      5 vote(s)
      33.3%
    2. plan for the future
      10 vote(s)
      66.7%
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Reading some of the posts, I guess I'm very lucky in that I have a wife who wants to come along and go for it with me. When I meet her she just got from a year in Africa, so that was my clue she's a keeper. :-)
  5. Skootz Kabootz

Skootz Kabootz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well... as this conversation continues and everyone shares their personal viewpoints... I am sitting here listing items for sale on eBay (because every $ counts), studying BDR and other rider videos to learn as much as I can about the terrain I'll be traveling and what I need to be prepared for, studying my Haynes manual so if need be I can save my own butt out there, exploring different route options, checking out the scenery on Google maps, checking out campsites, National & State Parks and other points of interest along the way, etc etc etc, breaking down daily milages and total travel days, costs involved, and putting it all together like a very happy jigsaw puzzle.

I swear half the fun of extended motorcycle travel is all the planning involved and somehow, using only what means we do or don't have available, figuring out a way to make it happen. For me making it happen takes a lot. This trip may only end up being 5 or 6 weeks in my case, but to me it is the trip of a lifetime and I will be enjoying everything about it (including the sacrifices I have to make) for the whole 6 months beforehand.

Such fun. I can already tell I won't be able to sleep the night before leaving. :-)

Hot damn I love this stuff!
    boatpuller and eakins like this.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I plan alot of routes and tours for people/groups and one of my golden rules is to build in extra free days along the way.
    If you get to a spot and you love it, then those extra days can and should be used to stay longer.

I've read alot of ride reports where people say I wish I had another day here or there as I loved the place.
    They can't add an extra day or even side trip they discovered because they have every day planned out to the T.
    New discoveries and unexpected experiences are truly what separate a good trip from a spectacular one!

I plan 200 miles per day as riding day where you can also explore the next town.
    I plan 300 miles per day as a solid riding day and best for most, but you will not see your destination as much.
    I plan 400 miles per day for those that want to ride long all day and arrive for dinner and sleep.
    i never go over 400 miles.
    Most everyone averages only 45-50 mph when all is said and done with stops during a day.
    Skootz Kabootz likes this.
  7. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Normal is ....as normal people will see it are, people who get up go to work, come home go to bed and repeat all week then enjoy themselves each weekend as best they can..this is how 90% of all people i bet live.....especially if you are still young and first starting out in life. We all think getting our own place to live, either renting or buying is key, then add a spouce hopefully, then she tells us it's time to sell bikes until kids are grown, then we buy next bike and start going on either coffee shop sprints, or camping trips or motel sleeps on weekends off from family life..then maybe squeezing in a week or two maybe 4 if at all lucky to go further away.
    That is normal.
    People who think selling everything they have worked for is out of the ordinary, not normal way of thinking. Plain and simple.
    No one way is the best way....but to suggest your way is the best way or the only way to really experience life is completely wrong and disrespectful to those who simply can't do it or even get close to it and are enjoying whatever they can get away with time wise and adventure wise.
    I ride with some guys who simply love to go from coffee shop to coffee shop and then ride home...that's what they think is fun.....I can ride with them but it's not my cup of tea so to speak.

So there you go, another discription of how we normal folks do things...we do not sell it all, throw whats left in storage etc etc and simply disappear etc for an extended length of time. Your way is the 1% way....out of the norm. Even if you think it isn't.
  8. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is just the few who are replying or seeing this thread, put this out to the general population and get honest answers and not dreams and i bet I'll get much closer to my numbers.
  9. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now you have seen the light!.....you are very lucky to find a mate who enjoys everything you do equally. Not saying that the other women are any less or better it's just most couples aren't always walking in exact step to each other......they usually want children and homes to look after etc etc....And that is what shackles most guys to the homestead.....and then you also get the guys who love to spend every waking minute with their families.....Again way way too many reasons, conditions forces that lean towards most people not being able to do as you think.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    But we're are not the general population (we are 1%ers to start with), so why argue for the other 99% in this context???
    This discussion is about us, motorcyclists on ADV.
  11. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you know what the 1% actually are? You are not one of them nor am I...just so you know. We are concidered the general population...research it!
    Out of the general population your way of our way of thinking of life is our 1% in the way you see how to travel and spend your days. Like i said before...you simply don't understand....so again..I'll step away....and let you own the debate....lol
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yeah ol' man I know we're not Outlaws...it's just a phrase used today to describe motorcyclists (actual number is between 2-3%).
    The times are changing for the younger & enlightened generations working as digital nomands or aged wanderers, but you enjoy your home life.
    Peace, I'm ready for some fresh perspectives on life.
  13. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    My wife is fairly adventurous, and wants to travel the world. She rides, but is hesitant to ride in other countries. She says she is concerned about medical care in 3rd world nations if anything should happen, but I find her fear also extends to 1st world nations. She has only been riding 2.5 years, so it would probably still be 2-up at this point.

I am trying to plan a motorcycle trip from Munich, through Eastern Europe, down to Greece, and up through Croatia. I'd love to ride the whole thing on a big Euro bike, but she keeps circling back to a bus tour or car rental. She generally resists my crazy plans, then thoroughly enjoys herself once we do it.

I told her the car rental is fine if she can find one of these as a rental. Tell me it wouldn't be awesome to roll up in this to Dracula's castle.

[​IMG]
    Switchglide12, eakins and willys like this.
  14. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now you're talking!
    But, if you have seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show....where the bikers riding up to the mansion on their bikes in the dark wet with the music playing.....Hmmmm.....damn, both would be perfect...lol
    What is this a Morgan? See I would drop my bike in a heartbeat for something like this if it were a convertable or capable of getting the roof off.....absolute perfection! Coming from England and growing up on the back country lanes screaming around at 60-100MPH all the time, this machine imho is perfection and far exceeds a bike....but that's just me..
    I also feel somewhat the same as your wife about healthcare seeing as i have been a resident of far too many hospitals in my life from doing stupid crap and paying the price for it. Now I am starting to suffer from those past decissions....and it's just in the past year. So I always think about how well will I get repaired if the worst were to happen. I can't imagine anything worse than for a somewhat free spirit to be chained to a bed counting the dots on the cieling tiles! Something I came dangerously close to in 2001.....it ended my working carreer so to speak......and brought me down to earth FAST! Until you have had this fall, if you would, you don't know what it's like to see things from the that if side of the coin when you always never even looked at the coin beforehand. Everything i do now is graded upon how much it will hurt me the next day or week from now.....and you decide from there to keep moving forward or rethinking the thought plan.

But I'm all over this vehicle!!!!
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'm a tour director on motorcoaches, don't do it! You're hearded like sheep with little wiggle room.

How about a hybrid of 2 up riding certain areas for a period of time, then rent a car for a another period of time?

If you've got the funds maybe a river cruise thrown in on the Danube to see the classic cities.
  16. stevo7706

stevo7706 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey willys. Ship that jeep to Colombia instead of a motorcycle. You'll be "la bomba" there. Quite a few old Landcruisers, Patrols and Willys/Jeeps roaming the countrysides.
    IMG_0412.JPG
    willys likes this.
  17. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    This one is a targa top I think, but they do come in convertible as well. BMW V8 under the hood. Top Gear US did a review of them. Season 1, Ep. 6.

We did a Globus motorcoach tour from Amsterdam to Venice to Paris once. The bus schedule was strict, but we opted out of all the extras and wandered off every time we got the chance. It was actually pretty good. Decent food, good hotels, and included a day cruise on the Rhine (they even sell beer on the boat). The guide was a Dutch guy that reminded me of Anthony Bourdain, and he refused to carry one of those silly signs that said "follow me".

We also do sea cruises on occasion, and also go off on our own at each port. We tend to leave the tourist areas behind, and the boat is just transportation and lodging. It is tough to beat seeing a new city every day for $100/day.
    willys and eakins like this.
  18. Shake_N_Bake

Shake_N_Bake Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I read this the message I get is you are tied to your stuff. You may not be. You may not have intended it that way. But that is the message I get when reading this. The big item is that I have never talked to, read about or heard about anyone who wanted to recreate their previous life upon returning from a lengthy trip. (Cue someone with one obscure example now.) I think this is one of the enlightening and lightening things about these trips is they teach you a new and arguably better way to live.
  19. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    Shit. Had this discussion with my nephew. I'm the "by the numbers guy" and plan ahead. He was the 25 year younger MBA smart MF that loved life and enjoyed people and fun. Guess who died in an accident.
    You gotta make up your own mind, beware of advice from people who don't have to live with the consequences.
    black 8 likes this.
  20. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    Yup - same here.

Been dug into my head early on: "Operational Risk Management" (ORM) . You plan subconsciously and don't even know it sometimes - like walking down the street and asking yourself should I walk under that ladder or on the other side?

Unless you are one of the knuckleheads that text and walk into a fountain..