Now vs Later

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Academy, Feb 3, 2017.

?

Are you more likely to plan ahead or "sell up"?

1. Sell up

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. plan for the future

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. pranajerni

pranajerni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seasonal work for 29 years with more time off than paid every year. A hundred dollar a month storage unit and traveling the world. Conscoius choice to live simply, learn and experience different places and cultures as well as about myself. Don't feel like i fit in either of the catogories asked for but i'm having fun. Hope ya'll are too.
    eakins likes this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yep.

Being tied to your stuff or swimming in debt is why most will not do big adventure trips ever. We sold most of our stuff off to fund our previous year trip and we'd do it again.

After you travel and explore the world you realize your stuff does not make life interesting, it's experiences and memories.

Upon returning I have a completely different concept of stuff and spending $. It's healthy now. Before the trip I bought to collect and have 3 or more of everything. I could not separate a want from a need.

We still travel alot and see excessive spending as a deterrent from potential travel. I feel sad now people who continually buy the latest and the greatest as they are on a baseless loop. I use to think it was awesome they had new toys. Now the though pops in my head, damn you just need to continue to work more. I smile and wave when i'm taking off again on another trip :-)
    terryboyle likes this.
  3. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been reading this thread with interest, as I see both sides all too clearly. Stuff brings pleasure. Travel brings pleasure. Stuff brings hard work and sacrifice. Travel brings hard work and sacrifice. Eakins, I wonder if you have substuted travel for the collecting of stuff at a emotional level most of us don't realize we have? And Ont jeep guy, how much of your stuff do you really get to make use of in a month? In a year?

I have too much stuff. But by being conservative with borrowing I don't have too much debt thank God, as that is an anchor that is very hard to escape. But the stuff, much of it brings me a lot of pleasure at the "think about it" stage, but actually very little at the utility stage. For example, I have a fantastic woodworking hobby with thousands of dollars of professional caliber tools, and I haven't gotten to use them in over a year due to motorcycle and home improvement stuff blocking them in the 2.5 car garage. Just too much effort to extract the wood tools. Plus, we had a fire on the farm, and I've spent much of my free time dealing with the inventory and effort to rebuild there. So stuff is preventing me from enjoying my stuff. And my wife has discovered PWCs, which brings her a lot of joy, but when we go to the lake our trailer hitch now pulls them instead of my boat. So now her stuff is preventing me from enjoying my stuff. Stuff stuff stuff. The reality is I like all of these activities, and sadly most of them require owning equipment to do, as renting is not possible or feasible in most cases.

But, and this is key, don't go through life on autopilot. Go through life deliberately. Determine what is important, what isn't, and re-evaluate as needed. But live in a way that allows you to change as wanted. Now lets all go sing Kumbaya together.
    eakins likes this.
  4. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems to me that you've been sold a bill of goods on what your life should be. Its as if you're actually trying to convince yourself to agree with it.

Everyone gets to make their own choices on priorities. Failing to choose is also a choice. If what you want is to work hard mon-fri, wash the cars and mow the lawn every weekend then so be it. Nothing makes that wrong. But if thats what you end up with and you have no idea how it happened then its time to shake things up a bit and reset your priorities.

I have a pretty extensive bucket list, and I try to chip away at it best I can. No regrets yet. I do have a family. I do have stuff. I have an old sick dog and several dead houseplants (bathtub trick, cool - thanks HCH). I do have financial commitments that weigh in on my decisions. I have had significant and unexpected changes in my employment status over the years. My wife and I have never once missed a trip opportunity or an experience that we had planned for despite any of this. It is the adventure that defines who we are, not what we do, nor what we own.

I know that this means I'll likely not ever stop working, but I wouldn't trade away any of my time spent traveling (or riding).
    eakins likes this.
  5. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:

If you are indeed a male, then you haven't a clue 'what women want'...so quit BSing about that.
    eakins likes this.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    See that's the falacy of buying more stuff that the American marketers have been pushing for years; it will make you happier.

It worked for years when goods were well built and improved lives. Now it's become a throw away the old junk culture.

Current research has proven that buying something new brings only a very short time of pleasure, then it's gone. It lives in a very short term part of the brain
    Taking a trip and thus gaining a new experience lives in a different part of the brain and thus never goes away and what I call brightens your life.

Now fast forward to young generations who are moving up with financial power. They see experiences are more important than stuff and are driving the storybook. Our business focuses on experiences (moto travel) and thus we want to be riding this wave.

We also see mid-age riders who want to part of that same party. They are waking up and realizing shit I'm going to be dead soon...Is this all life is? Many are saying hell no, I'm going for it.

Finally there are old guys who are stuck in their ways and will not change. I've got nothing to offer except maybe a nice day ride to show them or a map to sell them they can pin on their wall and say one day...

Time's a wasting people...Time to get moving!
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yeah barefoot cooking in the kitchen with another kid in the belly, that's what the modern women wants...Not.
  8. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whatever it is, if it causes me to exceed the GVWR of my Guzzi, then I don't really NEED it...I may want it, but I don't need it.