NSw - near Wellington - a fine Friday and a day off work

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by gco0307, Sep 14, 2018.

1. gco0307

gco0307 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    *warning – long read, lots of pics*

What, with a day off and a sensational day and a motorbike crying to be ridden, I was left with little choice this morning but to get out while many others were stuck in the office, and so it would be.

So, leaving home and jumping on the Mitchell I headed East towards Wellington with the idea to fuel up before heading out 12 Mile Road in search of a road I had previously ridden, but enjoyed so thought a revisit was well in order.

Now, usually I would head onto the intended road by taking the Wuuluman Road turn and then dropping to the valley, but today I wanted to go a slightly different way and jump straight onto the intended target, Uungula Road. Uungula Road found it was right turn off 12 Mile Road before a little photo stop at the first causeway, and a good sign being that this one had water in it

[​IMG]

Through the causeway and onwards as you go across a few flat paddocks and eventually find your way into a lightly wooded area with some cool rocks before dropping back down to the valley below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The road continues to meander uphill, through paddocks, downhill, round corners, through more paddocks, all the while giving a very relaxed feeling with a true surface providing good confidence, although I knew it could change and given that the road runs through sheep paddocks you always have to be careful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This stretch has a great little section of 90 degree left/rights for a few hundred metres as it winds through a small gap in the hills, a little section that is just awesome fun actually.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After around 12 or so kays you get to the Y turn at the rusted post box which is where the road now gets interesting as you have to choose left or right. Now, the road is seemingly well trafficked to the left and so a few years back I followed it only to find it was the wrong way, so in January of 2017 I returned only this time took the right turn which I was to follow today. Sure, some people may ask why go back when there are so many other roads around, and all I can say is that this road just has a romance to it and, well why not?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a while you come through a cattle grid and whereas last time this was overgrown with the shearers hut looking very second hand, today it was a good shade of green, the hut looking cleaned up and a few local farmers around doing some dipping of sheep.

[​IMG]

This is just a good piece of road, open, narrow, good surface, some testing pieces but generally it just wanders across farm country, which of course means some gates need to be opened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After an hour or so you hit Guroba road and turn left back towards 12 Mile Road. Guroba Road undulates its way beside the Cudgegong River through paddocks galore but is a very good, very comfortable road.

[​IMG]

After a while you return to 12 Mile Road and for me it was a right turn with the next target in mind, Yarrabin Road. I had never done Yarrabin Road but had mapped it a few times but never gotten to it, so today I was determined to find out for myself. Have to admit that this was a damn good choice as again the surface varies but at no time does it impact on confidence, but it does have far more tighter corners than many around as this road also meanders and undulates beside the river, just on the other side.

At times, you are literally a few hundred metres from Guroba road which is of interest for me as only a few moments before I had been on that road and now, was only a few hundred metres away yet had to travel a number of kilometres to get here.

[​IMG]

This road wanders through valleys and at times the landscape seems riddled with quartz rock which was just shining away in the paddocks and roadside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a while the road goes through a more wooded area but soon opens again and is again quite open, well surfaced, although one small mound did catch me as I hit it at around 80 – 90kmh only to find a hole on the other side, all to late so no choice but hang on. The bike did well and never bottomed the suspension but I did hear a bit of noise from the bash plate, so I got close, and stopped to check the ‘damage’ at the causeway, safe to say, bash plates are a good investment.

[​IMG]

Anyway, after a while you hit the sealed road where you can go right to Cudgegong Water Park or left and I have to admit that this was a damn good piece of road. Starts smooth and well surfaced but with corners, good, blind not signposted corners, a real riders type of road. Some of the corners look worse than they are but there are a lot of sleepers in there that close up as you go through, but all up it is a very good fun piece of road, but I can also see what many would not like it with the roadside dangers of trees and no room for error.

Eventually this ends at Hill End road so it was left turn towards Mudgee before taking another left onto Eurodgere Lane which was yet another good decision of country lane that provided some good views and awesome challenges due to surface changes and some road damage.

[​IMG]

The intent had been to make my way to Lower Piambong Road, another one I had mapped out previously but never ridden. So, it was that I took the left onto LP Road and just kept riding as this road, like all before it just wanders aimlessly uphill, round bend, downhill, sometimes wide open, sometimes narrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was far better than I had actually thought it would be when researching as google maps just do not do justice, and so it was that I simply enjoyed this road until it returned to Goolma Road where I took the left with a view of stopping at the pub for a nice cold can of coke.

All refreshed, rather than stay on the sealed stuff I decided to head out Gorries Lane which heads back towards 12 Mile Road as I was simply having way too much fun on the dirt to want to spend to much time on the sealed. Gorries is a wickedly fun road, a looser surface than many it is still very true and very easy to maintain a good line and good pace, not to good but comfortable, but again it goes through farm paddocks so you are always on alert for livestock.

Now just before 12 mile road there is an intersection with Uamby Road, another Road I had researched but not ridden although I did intend to visit it one day on the future, but then, there is no time like the present, so it was right turn onto Uamby and off to the yonder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, you are probably getting bored, but this road was seriously magic, so many surface changes, scenery changes, corner challenges some with undulations some just flat but with surface changes, heaps of live stock around and it all adds up to just an awesome ride experience. Sure, not all are into rides of this nature, or roads of this type but and many would find it boring but for me, it was not magic so much as MAGIC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually though this road ends and to be honest, I was not sure if I was now back at 12 mile road or elsewhere but to play safe, I took a right turn and found myself on another piece of road that was just as those before, although all to soon that would change as it was being regraded. Now, people who ride these types of road know that regrading can be good, or bad and in my experience it is generally challenging, often tough and occasionally downright scary as working graders often disturb the surface and leave it very loose. But that was not the case today (initially) as the surface was quite good. Yes you could see it was graded but staying left gave a good footing with absolutely no loose surfaces which I will not deny did surprise me, but that was to change.

As I came upon a small crest I noticed the water truck heading to me so slowed to let them past and saw that 100 or so metres further back was the grader followed by a roller, which kind of gave me an idea why the surface was better than I thought. Passing the water truck, grader and roller I kept going but with the work being done I was taking it very slowly, 20-30kmh slow and just as well as from that good surface I suddenly found the front dropped into something loose, very loose and started to throw me sideways. Fighting it, I got the front to start to grip again but was now headed right so kept trying to bring it upright, only for the front to again fall into something loose which then had me straight to the dirt in the centre of the road and ended with me screaming expletives at nobody in particular. Damn it, yep bit the dust.

[​IMG]

Totally peed off I picked the bike up, all the while thinking of insurance hassles and what not as I saw the rocks that had once been buried and were now visible, turned the keys off and shrugged. Checked the bike over and found the only damage really is a missing hand guard (collected), a badly bent rear brake level which is still bent but copped some footwork to make it usable and a few scratches on the crash bars (they had a slight bend, since fixed). All up, lucky as whilst I have no doubt I would not have fallen if the road was not being graded the fact it was being graded made it soft enough to absorb the bike rather than crush it.

Ah well, remounted, restarted and got going again for the remain 300 metres of dirt before the sealed stuff began. Yep, 130 – 150 kms on dirt of all varieties and it came unstuck 300 metres shy of the bloody sealed stuff ………….. not bloody happy.

Now this may seem a negative and it was, but only a very small one as the ride itself could not be ruined by the drop and in all reality, it just reinforced how damn good the bike is which makes me guilty that I have been going through the ‘shall I sell’ mindset as after the drop my first thought was ‘woohoo, battle scars’ and not ‘oh sh*t, scratches’.

With that it was on to the bike shop to order parts, then on home to manhandle the crash bars back to place and hose off the dirt.

Full gallery of pics (I do like to take pics) here - 2018-09-14 - Uungula Yarrabin Uamby - gcoliver1967
  2. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    " like all before it just wanders aimlessly uphill, round bend, downhill, sometimes wide open, sometimes narrow."

Great way to spend the day! Beautiful country and the photos were excellent, but they show you to be on the wrong side of the road quite often................

Cheers
    UncleGra likes this.
  3. gco0307

gco0307 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Parked on the wrong side a couple of times as it was the better side to park on due to surface, but always with huge visibility plus, all day with the exception of 12 Mile Road, I only saw 3 other vehicles moving (all on Yarrabin).

Should add, damn well finished on the wrong side when I fell though
  4. stretch49

stretch49 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another great ride report and pics Gaz, good to see some green in the paddocks.
    I have done some of those roads that go back into Mudgee but not the ones that wind back to Goolma pub. Had afew cold ones at Goolma over the years.
    I have a set of genuine handguards that i have modified a bit to fit other bikes a few cuts out etc. but willstill fit. I put barkbusters on mine. You can have them if you want and just pay for the postage.
    Let me know and pm me your address if yu want them'
    Cheers John.
    gco0307 likes this.
  5. orry

orry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you said it...magic :clap
  6. GelandeRoadie

GelandeRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice, thanks for sharing. I'll be adding those roads to my "must get to" list, for the next time I'm heading through that neck of the woods.
  7. Russ

Russ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb Much greener than when we went through in July
  8. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's my kind of country Gaz and only a few hours away too. I'll be heading up there soon for a look around.
    gco0307 likes this.
  9. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cant read!!!! Font colour wrong!!!! Can you change it Garry?
    gco0307 likes this.
  10. Mickalmus

Mickalmus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics. These back roads are just great relaxing fun.

When I see it open up for a bit and give it a squirt always makes me grin too.

Thanks for sharing the ride and taking the time to post.
  11. gco0307

gco0307 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try now Dave
  12. mr_besten

mr_besten n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice trip.. thanks for sharing.