Nuanced Baja Routing Questions --

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by The Fist, Jan 4, 2019.

1. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Heading down to San Felipe in a few weeks -- two of us -- 990 Adv & 950 SE -- experienced baja riders but prefer to avoid the deep deep sand (my riding partner hates it).

Question 1 --

Traditionally, we travel to Bay of LA and then the off-road route to San Francisquito and/or El Arco -- then San Ignacio, etc...

We normally turn right at the T-intersection (left = San Francisquito and right = La Lagunita) just west of El Progreso and suffer through a few miles of deep sand. I've heard whispers of an alternate route that avoids this sand but still gets us to La Lagunita. Can someone explain the best route ? I have the E32 map, btw. Do I want to turn left and then head as far El Progreso or...? Details appreciated as there are a few option on the map.

Question 2 --

I have never explored the Pacific side north of Guerro Negro and have heard good things about the areas near Santa Rosalita. Can anyone provide commentary about the two routes I've been complating?

Option 1 - At Highway One just outside Chapala, head west/south to where the main road meets the coastal road just north of Bahia Blanco -- then travel south all the way to Guerro Negro.

Option 2 - same as above except head back east toward Bay of LA when we hit Santa Rosalita or a little south of there and then travel east via Rosarito & San Ignacito. Is the off-road route between Santa Rosalita and Rinconada nasty or super sandy? Is the the route between Rosarito and San Ignacito a better option?

I've read BigDog's RR's and have his GPX file(s)...but any others are appreciated. Thanks!

THANKS!!
  2. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ll send you some alternate tracks I’ve done on my HP2, pm me your email.
    Mike
  3. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I think I know what you're talking about and I just wrote something about this in another thread in the last month or so. As you're riding from BOLA toward SF, there used to be a military checkpoint. Some of the structure is still there and a bunch of rocks painted white. Anyway, a narrow sandy 2 track lined on the sides with cacti that runs west from there which has been used as a SCORE race course. If you keep heading to SF, there is another right turn not to far along that runs to Piedra Blanca and is in much better shape.

Option 1 - there are a couple canyons in that general area that run west from around Chapala to the coast. Rocky on top, a moderately steep descent, sandy two track, and then some silty areas on the coast. I like it except for the last 20 or 30 minutes to Santa Rosalalita which is stutter bump hell.

Option 2 - I've ridden south of Santa Rosalalita a couple times maybe 10 miles or so. Then a rocky faint 2 track east to Hwy 1 just south of Nuevo Rosarito. You can ride from there to San Borja (maybe my favorite Baja mission) and then on to BOLA.
  4. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    do you think its better to just travel north to Catavina and then head west? or is the road that i see heading west out of Chapala good for a loaded 990 Adv?