Nunavut

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Lone Rider, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Are there any roads that go there? Is there anything interesting way up there?
  2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
  3. Kaumajet

Kaumajet H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer:
    No roads that go to Nunavut. Interesting? It's the most interesting place I've been on five continents. An incredible people in the Inuit, an amazing landscape, and a solitude found in very few remaining places on the planet. A history of survival and human adaptation that would blow your mind. A marvelous, terrible place.

Sadly, (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), travel there is either for the very rich and/or motivated, or those who must work there. I was fortunate enough to be in the last group for many years.

The western part of Nunavut is incredibly flat and barren, covered in fen bog, tundra, goose breeding grounds, and not much else. Baffin Island is a different story, being relatively flat on the west side, but mostly covered in incredible mountains and glaciers in the centre and east. Ellesmere Island is also very mountainous and rugged.

The entire territory of Nunavut is above treeline, except maybe for a tiny portion in the southwest corner (I haven't been there in over 10 years and can't remember). If there are trees, it's basically taiga forest with tiny and ancient spruce. A tree-hugger in the eastern ARctic would need a vivid imagination indeed.

Here's what the east coast of Baffin Island looks like in July. The radar site is actually on a cliff that drops over 3500' to Nudlung Fiord, but the bay is full of fog.

[​IMG]

I have some awesome pictures of this area, but they're all 35mm and not scanned. They're also at work and I won't be going back there until late Sept. PM me if you want to see more and I'll scan them then.

Ahhh memories.
  4. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    When was it offically broken off from NW Territories?
  5. Kaumajet

Kaumajet H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer:
    Spring 99, I believe. I was long gone by then, but I guess the land hasn't changed much.

It's over 100,000 square miles bigger than Alaska and about 3X bigger than Texas. Maybe a KLR with studded tires?:dunno
  6. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    Resuscitating an old thread here ....

I recall reading that you can almost get to Nunavut via reasonably sane, non-winter roads: riding to the coast and then canoeing/swimming (presumably in a 7 mil wetsuit) out to a nearby island that is technically part of Nunavut. Probably off the James Bay Road in Quebec?

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
  7. CGH

CGH Polluting the ether

Oddometer:
    April 1, 1999. I was living in Yellowknife at the time ... big party. :freaky
  8. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you'll have to be travelling by winter road if you want to drive into Nunavut. It's a neat trip though!
  9. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    Has anyone actually done this on two wheels?? I presume you mean the winter road from Yellowknife to Lake Contwoyto? That's a ride report I'd like to see. Until then, I'm skeptical.

I still think there's an easier way. I swear I read it somewhere, and that probably means on here. (As most people aren't crazy enough to wonder the best way to get to Nunavut.)
  10. Big Doug

Big Doug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When my (civil engineer) uncle finished work on the Dempster, he high-tailed it out of Edmonton, moved back to Ottawa and spent the last 15 years of his career designing the roads and infrastructure for Nunavut and Iqualuit until he retired a few years back.

He keeps telling me to go because it's an amazing place. He still has a relationship with good friends up there and does business with them for Inuit art and char, both fresh and smoked.

If you buy arctic char at an Ottawa restaurant or in the Byward Market, chances are he probably flew it in.
  11. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Oh oh!

Don't let Paul Mondor see this thread...:huh