1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Nuvi 500/550 - buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by davidmc, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    That's what I've found also....BUT to me, that is as stupid as taking you the last via/waypoint. If you go off route, it should always try to take you to the nearest via/waypoint, NOT ones you have missed. I have lost count of the number of times it continually tries to take me to a via/waypoint I missed, instead of the nearest which is ludicrous.
  2. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I agree it would be better if it would just take you to the nearest point, but it's not THAT bad. I just ignore it and use the map to intercept the route line further on. Which is pretty much the same thing I do on my 60Cx when I have off route recalc turned off.

"Ludicrous" would be if it did what DRZ Charlie and the Garmin Software engineer are saying:D
  3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    An example - This is part of a 494-mile route I rode in Oct. Going from Farmington, MO (south of STL) to Omaha, NE. Magenta (purple) line is my intended route, red line is my actual track. When I got to the town of Slater I saw a sign that said the bridge over the Missouri River on Hwy 41 at the town of Miami was out. I got out my paper map and determined the best detour would be to catch US 65 at Marshall and intercept my route at Carrollton. As soon as I deviated from the route the Nuvi 500 kept trying to take me back to the via point which was just north of Slater on Hwy C. Since I knew where I was going I just ignored it. When I hit my route again everything updated and it navigated me all the way home on my route as intended.
    [​IMG]
  4. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Depends if you are riding a bicycle or a motorbike - a 10 mile round trip on a bike is no biggie, it is on a bicycle :lol3

As I've said, it can be a very very frustrating device to use at times.
  5. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    The problem I have with that is, at some point, the GPS should stop trying to route you BACK to that point but find the nearest point and instead take you to that one.
  6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I agree - but it doesn't :dunno Probably doesn't bother enough users that Garmin will change it.

As I was headed north on US 65 and approaching my route it did start freaking out a little like it was trying to update to another (closer?) via point. I couldn't tell what exactly was going on though.

I bought the Nuvi 500 as a refurb for 150 bucks, not really expecting much out of it. It has exceeded my (low) expectations though:D
  7. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Agreed on all points. As you know, I bought this primarily for bicycle use and it's kinda annoying to be re-routed 5 miles out your way or something. Not a big issue on a bike or in a car but real annoying on a bicycle. Garmin software annoys the heck out of me also since I have been in the biz for a number of years now and some of their software logic simply doesn't make sense...

For 150 bucks ? It's about the right price.
  8. davidmc

davidmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mmm, maybe I shouldn't quite upgrade my 2610 quite yet?

Of course, not only would I need to spend $150 for the 500 but another $150 for the fancy Touratech mount! :D
  9. onefastrph

onefastrph Shut up and ride.

Oddometer:
    $179 & free shipping in the latest Cabellas ad. I might bite to replace my Nuvi 200 that I run in tandem with my 60csx. Is anyone using the powered cradle from Garmin for the 500/550?
  10. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Yes, but it's not really a "powered cradle".
  11. onefastrph

onefastrph Shut up and ride.

Oddometer:
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27931

This is the one I was refering to, so, yes, maybe 'powered cradle' was not a precise description. In the future I will make sure I always refer to it as the Garmin Universal Mounting Cradle with Power Cable (bare wires) to avoid confusion.:lol3
  12. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Well, there are other models which actually have a "powered cradle" so I just wanted to clarify. That term makes it sound like the power cable is integral to the mount cradle - this one is not.

I like the cradle and the power cable is very robust. It has heavy gauge wires and a built in mini-blade fuse holder. There's also a small rubber boot on the USB plug which will hopefully make it more water resistant.
    This cable is much better than the Gilsson aftermarket ones IMHO.
  13. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Since it was just mentioned...does anybody know where you can get the little rubber boot that protects the USB socket on the GPS ? Mine has disappeared...
  14. Brisco

Brisco Chik'n Eater

Oddometer:
    I'm using the Garmin cradle, but as mentioned, not powered.
    I used my Nuvi 550 for a trip to AK last June. It worked great for my uses, plenty of rain never phased the unit.

I've also got a RAM for the 500 or 550 is anyone needs one. It has a more positive hold on the gps than the Garmin one, but not needed on my street bike.
    PM me
  15. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    I have the Zumo 665. It's the first Garmin unit I truly regret buying. I completely and totally HATE this GPS. But I still use it because it's waterproof and the motorcycle mount is slick. Still, it is infuriating to use. I was hoping Garmin would be at the recent motorcycle show in Long Beach, because I wanted to give them a piece of my mind about it.

My car GPS is the Nuvi 885T. It's a nice unit with a few bugs like frequent crashes and reboots (e.g. it runs about as reliably as Windows). That aside, as a GPS, it's very good. Map detail is excellent.

The Zumo... man what a waste of a nice display. They have pixel-doubled all of the maps. So basically it has 1/4 the resolution of my Nuvi, which has exactly the same display resolution. On my Nuvi, I have all roads and trails all the way to 0.8 mile zoom. On the Zumo, that's only good to 0.3 mi. Go to 0.8 and it's major roads only... sorry, if you're on a secondary, you won't even see it. It's ridiculous.

It gets better.

EVERY time you leave the map display and come back, it automatically goes back to 0.2 mi zoom, regardless of where you were before. If you happen to have the display mode set to "more map" and touch your vehicle icon so you can scroll manually, it will always take you to maximum zoom (50 ft). I have verified with Garmin via email that this is considered "Normal" but I think it's STUPID. This thing is supposed to be "designed for riders by riders" but it seems to be, "designed for riders by idiots."

There needs to be a much easier way to reset your tracklog To do it, you have to go to Menu > Tools > Navigation. It should be an option on the Trip Computer screen, just as the fuel tank tracker is.

There's a lot more, but I can't think of it all right now; it's 4:26 AM as I type this, and my ride to the airport will be here in a half hour. :)

Rob
  16. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Garmin software (unit and PC) is infuriatingly poorly designed.
  17. oldbiker83

oldbiker83 oldbiker83

Oddometer:
    I use the nuvi 550 on my KLR and my wing it does have the issues brought up my everybody. i purchased the power cord for each bike on Ebay for 20.00 bucks each and ram mounts from the Gadget Guy in Eureka Springs Ark. Is it as slick as my buddies 276 and 376? NO but it is a lot cheaper and does all that I need done.You always need paper maps no matter what. I still need to buy a disc from Garmin to get the Map Source program for my computer.Is it worth the money???
  18. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, it just so happens that i have a nuvi 500 with some acc for sale, if anybody is interested...

Droid-X via Tapatalk