1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Nuvi 500 - how to rejoin a custom route when off of it?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by eakins, Jul 18, 2011.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    maybe i'm having a brain fart but i can't get it to work for me.
    ...or maybe it's dosen't work like my 60csx.

i created a route in mapsource > uploaded to 500 > imported it from data > and it shows in custom routes. i selected it and it routed just like i wanted it to go. working as expected. i'm in my car so you know.

now i diverted off the route about 30 minutes (no gps needed) and spent the night. next day i select the route again from custom routes and it asks if i want to navigate back to the start...no just continue from here. get me back on the original route. my 60csx does this with ease. it takes my position and gets me back to the closest point on my intended route and continues from there.

anyway it would not show a route where to go? wtf? am i doing something wrong or is this a nuvi limitation? i also had my 60 and it took me back to my original route and i continued on. only when i was back on my original route did the 500 show where to go.

i used the new route feature in the 500 and selected my destination city and it routed me there, but it's own different way. i did not want to go that way. i turned off the 500 and used the 60 in my hand till i was back in sync with the nuvi route.

...so is this how they work or am i doing something wrong???
    is there another step i'm missing w/ the 500?
  2. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I **think** this is the Nuvi auto-route limitation. When you make ANY wrong turn or off-route turn the nuvi will recalculate the entire route.

All I know is that when I tried using it on the Oregon Discovery trail the thing drove me bat shit crazy(er).
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    but it didn't recalculate from my current position. even if it didn't get me back to my original point of leaving the route that would have been fine if it took me to where i needed to go...but it just showed my position moving along on the road. if i zoomed out i saw my custom route but it did not route me to the best place to join it. only until i was on it again did any of the routing/voice prompts works. before that it just said on the screen driving on this or that road.

i guess all i could have done is do a new route with an end point on my old original one and then restart my custom route when i'm over top of it???
    is that the deal?

if i only had this unit i would have stopped and done that but i had the same original route (sayulita to guanajuato) in my 60 and pulled it up and bam it's routing. i think i'm going to mount my 60 in the car next to my 500 and run both.
  4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Normal behavior for the Nuvi 500. Just use the map screen to rejoin your route line (which is what you did) :dunno
    It sounds like you must have stopped navigation of the route after you got off of it or stopped? If you hadn't, the Nuvi would have been trying to get to whatever via point you missed.

Your 60 is not acting like mine does. If you have the automatic off-route recalc set to "off", it should do nothing when you go off route. If you then didn't do "stop navigation" you would still have to use the map to get back to your route line just like the Nuvi. If you did stop navigation on the the 60 when you select your route again and hit "navigate", you don't have any choice - it will try to route you to the start point of the route, then continue on.

I don't see how you could have the "same original route in my 60 and pulled it up and bam it's routing".

Discussion of 60 series off route recalculation.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407634
  5. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Not true - it will recalc you to whatever via point was next in line, but NOT the whole route.
  6. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, ***IF*** you were smart enough to put in a ton of via points:evil
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    yes i did stop navigating with the 500 and just drove to a spot so i now know what to do to get back to my original route if this happens again or i just leave it on and turn of the volume till i want to get back to where i left the route.

as for my 60, in follow road options, i do have off route recalc on auto. if i'm using routes and i get sidetracked i do want to get to where i'm going automatically. i used tracks i want absolute bearings.

as for how it works i did this.
    -loaded the same route in the 60 as the 500 in mapsource the day before
    -used the 500 but never turned on the 60.
    -when this happened i just grabbed the 60 and selected to navigate that route. it autorouted me back to the to my original route and then onward. it did not attempt to take me back to the start. it just joined the route.
    -at this point i went back to the 500 as it was on the orignal route and has voice prompts and a larger screen.

so you 60 does not work this way????
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    mine did not?
    when i selected my custom route again the next day, it offered no routing help to get me back to my original intended (mapsource created) route.

in this same scenario your 500 would route you back to your original route & join it at the closest spot?
    you know this to be 100% true and have done this on the road???
    if so how???
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i use a ton of via points, probably too many, and have explained to others on adv about the need for that.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i'm reading your thread:

"Conclusions:
    It appears that if you are navigating a route you loaded from Mapsource and have auto-recalculate turned on the unit will try to take you back to the point where you left your route (or possibly the nearest via point to that point). It's not "smart" enough to realize that it may make more sense to intersect the route at a point further on.

If you try to restart a route from the middle the unit will try to direct you back to the route start point first but if you intersect your route at a poiont further on it should "find itself" and update, reagrdless of wheteher auto-recalc is on or off."

on the first paragraph, yes, that's what my 60 did however remember i just turned it on for the first time vrs stop/start navigating. the route it chose to take make to the original route was indeed the route i drove in on and thus where i diverged from the original route. in that scenario it was how i wanted to reconnect. now if had not T'd off my route and say drove parallel to my original route for 10 miles, i would expect the 60 to route me to directly via the quickest roads to my original route.

now your 2nd paragraph, i effectively did this on my 60, restarted a route or in my case started for the first time. unlike what you say, my 60 took me the fasted way back to the route.

i'm my case i'm leaving off route auto-recalc on as it's working for me.

also in your thread you say this

"OK, my experience with my 60Cx is that if you let the unit off-route recalculate a route which you have uploaded from Mapsource it will disregard all of your via points and route you to your destination. That's why it's so important to have auto recalc off."

mine does not ignore all my via points? and i use alot.
    not sure why your unit works differently then mine.

my unit is 1yrs old and the firmware is even newer # than what garmin lists is avail for update.
    i use the latest mapsource & city navigator 2010.2 or in this case the newest 2011 mexican bicimaps.

11. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Quote in red was at the beginning of that discussion. I think I said later on that it is NOT the case.

Are you sure the 60 wasn't just taking you back to the best way to get to the start point of your route, and it just happened to want to backtrack on the route you took in? I have never ever had my 60 NOT try to take me back to the start point of a route if I stopped nav and then restarted it. Really pisses me off.

It's possible yours is different though. I think I had software v 2.70 when I started that thread back in '08, I now have 4.00 - just checked and it's the latest. Also I'm not sure if I ever tried to restart a route with the auto off-route recalc turned on, because I had such weird results with it while trying to follow a custom route I just leave it off all of the time.

That said - I just tried a quick experiment with a route I have loaded and even with off-route recalc on it takes me to the route start point by the quickest route first, then continues on with the route. It did NOT take me to any intermediate points which are closer to where I am.

Personally I think the route to the route start point just happened to intersect/overlap your intended route and when you got there it "found itself" and continued to nav you along as you wanted.
  12. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Not what I said - it will do this if you just go off route while navigating. If you stop navigation and then start the route again it does exactly what you said - asks if you want to go to the route start point, if you say "no" it just maps out your original route and you can use the map to intersect it.

Regardless of what your 60 is doing - what your Nuvi 500 is doing checks with my experience.
  13. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Yet another thing that drives me bat-shit crazy about the 500 :baldy

I really have come to the conclusion that the 500 will pretty much fuck up, in some way, imported routes. The people who designed the software on these devices need to be taken out and shot (or, dropped in the Bronx trying to follow a route that they are forced to keep missing points on).

On the plus side, I still love the actual display and super-easy touch screen (much better than the 2610) and the great roads it 'finds' when you punch in a destination and have 'shortest route' selected.

Bottom-line, it sucks at dealing with routes not created on the unit.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    that was probably the case. just dumb luck it was the same/best way in and then out.

i'm going try a test and see what happens.
    i'll create a route. go off route but not in-out like before and turn the unit off.
    i'll then start the routing and see where it wants to take me.
    i'll report back.

thanks for your insight!

15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    ok i now understand. thnx.

16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i've done many imported routed from mapsource and it does what it's suppose to when i add enough via points. nice thing is a route can be up to 250 points and that's alot to work with. right now i'm creating routes with 50 or less points so i can load it in both of my units. driving is mexico can be fucking insane and their signage is lacking so i do not want to get lost.

i do agree it's crap that i cannot divert from a import and have the unit get me back there. that's the whole concept of a mapping gps...i'm lost get be back to my plan. i think it's a dumb-down soccer-mom using nuvi thing. it's designed around plugging in an end point and taking you there vrs a motorcycle ride done on the computer taking the best roads. someone in a cage doesn't want to find the interesting back way they want to get somewhere asap.

oh well atleast i wasn't loosing my mind about how to use this thing...they all do that. if i divert (and turn the unit off or do a new route for the divert) i just need to touch on the screen where i need to get back to and then open the original route.

17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    just checked my 60.
    i have software version 4.2 & gps sw version 2.3m

i found that when i checked on garmin's site that latest sw was older than what i have???
    not sure what is up with that and 4.0 vrs 4.2? maybe not much but it's kinda odd.
    like i said mine is a year old bought when they dropped to $200 with the new 62 just around the corner.

18. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I have had no trouble getting my Nuvi 500 to follow my Mapsource custom routes - as long as I use exactly the same mapset to create them as I have loaded on the unit.
    Eakins, I thought the point limit for routes was 250 also, but someone told me in another thread it's 200. I checked it out and that is correct.
  19. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I got mine in '07. Software version 4.00 & gps sw version 3.00s. I think the difference is that mine has the SiRF GPS chip and the newer units have a different one (Mediatek). See here
    http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=259

Definitely report what you find with your routing experiment:D
  20. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The other bat-shit epiphany I had with the nuvi 500 was that it can't reverse a route. It never occurred to me that ALL gps's didn't do something so basic.