Nuvi 500 Questions from a Noob

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by OhioAirhead, Aug 15, 2010.

1. OhioAirhead

OhioAirhead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, so please bare with my noobness. I am new to the world of the GPS and have recently purchased a Nuvi 500.

Is it possible to map routes on my laptop using Google maps or an equivalent and download them to my Nuvi? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Why not use Garmin's Mapsource software?
  3. OhioAirhead

OhioAirhead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't familiar with it. I'll look into it...thanks.
  4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Make sure you register your Nuvi 500 at mygarmin.com within 60 days of the first time you turn it on. You should be eligible for a free map update download. This will update the maps on your GPS but it will also install Mapsource and the maps on your computer.
  5. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Download the Mapsource tutorial for begineers HERE.

And also the MapSource manual HERE

To maximize your experience on the 500 make sure you turn off all "avoidances" (tools/settings/navigation/avoidances/untick all/back button)

Also set the unit to "off road" when using it to navigate gravel and trails (tools/settings/navigation/route preference/off road/backbutton).
  6. OhioAirhead

OhioAirhead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the help. Thanks.
  7. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Whereabouts in NE Ohio are you? I'm originally from the Ashtabula area (Kingsville actually).
  8. OhioAirhead

OhioAirhead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am not all that far from Ashtabula. I am in a small town called Canal Fulton about 20 minutes southwest of Akron. I am right on the edge of good riding areas. I have been using the GPS to help me find good dirt roads to ride the KLR on. It will probably be more of a help once I get the thing figured out.
  9. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    All the Garmin GPS I've bought I always got a Mapsource CD/DVD with it. It's been three years since I bought my current Zumo550 so that may have changed.
    You load that onto your PC and once you figure it out you plan your routes on that and transfer it to the GPS. You can then view the route in Google Earth but AFAIK you can't plan a route on Google and load it into the GPS.
    Having said that, You can look up a business such as an Hotel on Google maps and transfer that to the GPS as a waypoint.
    Good luck with it all. A GPS make riding and navigating SOOOO much easier.
  10. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    The Nuvi models don't come with the DVD. However - if you register it at mygarmin.com within 60 days of purchase you can get a free one-time Numaps map update which will update the maps on the unit but also install Mapsource and the maps on your computer. I already had Mapsource when I bought my Nuvi 500 but I got a 205 for the wife and updated it and installed to her laptop no problem.
  11. OhioAirhead

OhioAirhead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    tbirdsp,

I did the Numaps update today, but I don't see where it loaded Mapsource on my laptop or even gave me the option to do so. Any advise?
  12. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Well - that's weird. Might need a phone call to Garmin. When I did the wife's 205 I remember it was pretty clear where you could choose to just update the GPS or install to the computer too. It's been a few months so I don't really recall the specifics.

I would NOT try to run the update again without some help. For some reasons I won't get into, I first just updated the Nuvi 500, but later decided I wanted to have the newer maps on my computer. There was no option to just do the computer so I thought it would just update the GPS again - wrong. Ended up erasing the topo maps on the unit. I was able to get it straightened out but I was literally on the phone for almost 90 minutes with Garmin (most of this was waiting for my old computer to do stuff).
  13. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:

Upon downloading the "Installer" which downloads the map, go to the advanced setting of the download manager and it will give you three options to:

Download to GPS only
    Download to GPS and Computer
    Download to Computer only

Default setting is "Download to GPS only".

Jon
  14. LookOutLinn

LookOutLinn Strom Trooper

Oddometer:
    great info!!! I just bought a Nuvi 500 today, and I'm a GPS and PC knob to boot. Every little crumb dropped by you all is a life saver! :clap

Thanks
  15. LookOutLinn

Oddometer:
    So which option do I pick?

And anyone have experience with this mount?

http://http://www.amazon.com/RAM-BICYCLE-MOTORCYCLE-MOUNT-GARMIN/dp/B001MUACYG/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_3

Thanks.
  16. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    When I did it there was no "computer only" option :dunno
  17. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    GPS and computer

I got this cradle (includes RAM ball) and power cable. Note you still need the handlebar ball and arm.

http://www.offroute.com/product/view_product.asp?x_ID=149253&CatID=14248&p=0

I also have a RAM cradle. The Garmin one is just as good. The power cable is very well built, much sturdier than the Gilson aftermarket ones. Heavy guage wire with ring terminals plus an in-line fuse holder.
  18. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    OhioAirhead, if you can run it again and find the "computer only" option I would try that. They may have changed MapInstall since I did it.
  19. LookOutLinn

Oddometer:
    Can you post a link for that too? :ear

(I don't wanna waste my time ordering the wrong one.)

Thanks.
  20. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer: