Nuvi 500 Questions from a Noob

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by OhioAirhead, Aug 15, 2010.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    so i just bought one on this $150 deal
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610365

so i have a 2 gps mapsource technical question.

i also have a 60csx w/ the latest mapsource installed and city navigator nt 2010 plus garmin usa topo 2008 added. can i plug this into that setup or will things go wonky? can 2 gps be connected to 1 mapsource? OR do i need to run on a different computer/windows user to keep things seperated?
  3. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:

Not sure if they changed the download install menu or not. Alternatively, you can email Garmin Support and tell them that you just purchased a Nuvi xx and that you want to be able to use Mapsource & City Navigator to plan your trips on your computer and download to your Nuvi. The Support will then just send you a Navigator CD w/ Mapsource. This is what I did with my original Nuvi 360 and 220 a while back. I received a CD containing both City Navigator and Mapsource free of charge in less than a week. Garmin may try to have you do the download option but just tell them that you have a dial up for Internet. You will still need your little yellow tag containing your unlock code found in your Nuvi box in order to activate the map on your PC.

Also, it always helps when you register your product through mygarmin.com as it helps the Garmin Support Team to quickly track down your product and related info.

Jon
  4. OhioAirhead

OhioAirhead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Steve and Jon,

I have found where it gives me the option to download to my computer only. I just started the download so it will take a while. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for all your help.
  5. OhioAirhead

OhioAirhead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I meant Mike. Don't know where I got Steve from. Anyway, thanks for the assistance.
  6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    No problem, I'm interested how you make out since I have a ASUS EEEPC 900 netbook I want to install it on. I was afraid to try since I coudln't find the computer only option before.
    Just used the Nuvi 500 on a 240-mile ride today following multiple custom routes I created on the computer - worked great.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    saw somewhere in the nuvi thread someone did that with 60days

to others start reading about here
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118162&page=64
  8. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that was me.

AFAIK once you have the downloaded file you can run it as many times as you want. I am going to us a USB memory stick to move it to my netbook.

It's just that you only have 60 days to download the file from Garmin.

I don't know this for sure though.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    ah funny. i thanks for your input on that other thread!
    good to know that it's a download and not just a web install.

plan is get all your files inline before 60days and save it then run it (not run it directly). i'm in IT and i run into people all the time who purchase software online. they run the file from online but don't save it first. down the road when we need to reinstall the app, i ask where is the download and people shrug their shoulders. everyone don't be that guy!
  10. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    You are welcome. I was merely passing on information that I learned while doing the same with my Nuvi 360 and my Zumo 550.

Jon
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    question for new nuvi 500 user with latest updates.

in the map info page within the tool settings do you have both the the 2009 CN and the 2011.2 CN both listed after the 1 time update? i'm wondering if both should be checked?
  12. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    That's the first I have heard of an update of City Nav leaving the previous version installed.

Is your Topo there listed seperately? Should say "CN Lower 49 States + PR DEM"
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    ok i see what's going on.
    (tools > settings > map > map info)

it says:
    -CN Lower 49 States + PR DEM
    AND
    -CN North america NT 2011.2
    [1] Lower 49 states

both are checked.
    the top one toggels off & on the topo, but not completely. if you zoom far out it still shows.
    the bottom one is the basemaps

must say this is not as feature rich as my 60csx but is sure easy to use.

thanks!
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i did the computer part also w/ mapsource & CN.
    i opted to save the installer files thinking i would get an installer to save and use on another machine. anyone done this? i can't find an installer file anywhere. is this not what i'm thinking it is and i need to run the whole garmin download procedure on each machine?
  15. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I just did this (installed to my ASUS EeePC 900 netbook) - however it's more confusing for me. I had an issue where I nuked my topo and had to have Garmin send me another update file. I have 2 update files/folders though. Did it maybe get saved to your temp files?
    Search for something called garmin_rmu_cnnant_2011_20
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    no go but i'm doing another computer, so i'll try to get an installer (to save for the future) on that one.

in the 'install options' during in maps update, i chose the computer option and then i also checked the box 'save install files to computer' box.
    there is where i assumed i would get that installer file.

is this what you did? knowing garmin i think the whole file is named garmin_rmu_cnnant_2011_20.msi

if you don't see the .msi on your file, you can turn that ability on in windows (tool > folder options > view > uncheck hide extension of known file types) you might need to hit the Ctrl button to show the top menu.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:

found it. in xp it's in c:\documents and settings\user\local settings\temp\img you need to be showing hidden folders to see. it's just above show files types. the folder IMG has all the installers to save for later. save the whole folder and rename. cnnant2011_20update.msi is the file you use to start the install of city nav/mapsource on another machine.

so tried it on another machine. you need to go to my.garmion.com and install the communicator plug-in first, then plug in the nuvi and make sure it recognized, then install cn/ms, then unlock it online. you'll need serial number and code (from my.garmin.com) it will unlock via online and thencity nav will be useable in mapsource to create routes.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    technical question for anyone.
    since cn is loaded as basemap on nuvi (unlike say a 60csx)
    what happens when you select a map segment/tile and try to transfer it to the nuvi. i din't tranfer but nothing seemed to be stopping me. you would have that map segment twice on the nuvi????
  19. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you sure about the basemap? Under Settings > System > About and select "Basemap" you get "Worldwide Autoroute DEM Basemap 2.00"

Also with the MicroSD slot and 2-4 gig memory super cheap no need to load maps to the units drive at all.

Now if you can point me to where the "clear log" is (I see the show hide) that I seem to remember seeing once apon a time I could stop questioning my sanity!

Bruce
  20. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found it! To clear the Track Log do a Tools > My Data and "Clear Trip Log".
    Why they didn't put it with the Show/Hide option is beyond me. Now someone just needs to figure a workaround for loading a track.

Bruce