Nuvi 500 Questions from a Noob

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by OhioAirhead, Aug 15, 2010.

1. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    :D
    Just FYI - if you have let the trip log build up to where it starts archving it will also ask you if you want to clear the archived logs.

I tried every way I could think of to load a track into he active trip log. It seemed like it was instantly overwritten.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    are you refering to the 60csx? nuvi has 49 state 2011.2 basemap and a dem(topo) map.

i have a 4gb card for topo usa, roads & rec and mexico maps. i understand that.

what i'm asking is what happens if i would select a segement from cn 2011.2 in mapsource and attempt to send it to the 500? it's already there as a basmap, where as a gps like 60csx does not have cn as a basemap. it only has the most basic map and cn is loaded on a card.
  3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    It's misleading to call it a "basemap" just because it's pre-loaded. As mcnut said, the unit also has an actual basemap installed. You can even see the .img file for it on the Nuvi main drive. It just doesn't show up in the list of other maps like on the 60CSx, and I don't think you can turn it off.

I don't know what would happen if you loaded a section of map that was already on there, but I assume it would just be a supplemental .img file and you would have both. I do not think it would erase the existing map.
  4. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Question for the collective....where do the route files that you import to the GPS via MapSource get stored ? I have some on my GPS I want to get ride off but I can't find them anywhere.

Cheers
    :freaky
  5. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    If you have sent them to the unit they should be found under My Data.

Home page/Tools/down arrow/my data/import route from file/select the maps with tick box/import/back/custom routes
  6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Depends on what you mean exactly:evil

Once they are imported, you can can go to tools>my data>delete custom routes.

However - if you mean you want to delete them from coming up on the "import route from file" list.

If you did a "send to device" from Mapsource to the Nuvi itself (not the card) then your routes should be in a file named "temp" in the Garmin>GPX folder. You can just delete that file.

Note that after you import the routes they are in the "Current" file in that same folder. "Delete custom routes" clears them from there.

IMHO - Nuvi 500/550 users should install a microSD card and just use that for all of their route file loading. What I do - if it's a .gdb file I just do "File>Save as" then select .gpx as file type and "Save In" the Garmin>gpx folder on the microSD card in the Nuvi.

If it's already a .gpx file you can just use Windows ("My Computer" in XP) and drag/drop the file into the gpx folder.

If you just use the card for this stuff you don't have to worry about messing up files on the main unit drive.
  7. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    go back to my.garmin.com w/ the unit plugged in and redownload maps.
    go through the steps and when you see the program that has the round circles in the middle you'll see an install options button on the lower left.
    this is where you get the install options and the option to save the installer files for future use.

i posted in one of the nuvi threads where to find those.
    it's unclear after 60 days if you can download mapsource/cn again for another machine or it's you can, but you only get the version you have (ie 2011.2 even though 2012 is out then)
  9. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    I have three copies of map source on three different computers. A trick to getting MapSource, and it works! And it's from Garmin with no hacks.

Download the Training Center:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=835

Install it

Then download the MapSource update:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    coming up with mapsource (after 60days) is not the focus. it's getting the included cn 2011.2 installed again. if your installing cn, mapsource is coming along if need be as it included. it always installs with city nav. so why bother to try to get it seperately? there are no maps to use in mapsource alone anyway, so it's kinda useless as a standalone app. i you want to view .gpx (& don't have a gps) you can look at them in google earth. also if you get a newer/different city nav, it just leaves off the mapsource install part if it detects it.

i'm guessing tbird is looking for city nav 2011 installer as that is included with the nuvi package if you get it within 60days. if you've updated the basemap in your nuvi, no need to do the full update (nuvi & computer) again (on another computer) as that just wastes time.

i have mapsource w/ cn 2011.2 (nuvi 500) & cn 2010.2 (60csx) plus topo 2008 & roads and rec loaded on 4 different computers.
  11. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Got it - thanks :thumb

I wanted to delete the files themselves - I wanted to get rid of the files themselves so they didn't appear in the Import File List.

Just used it in anger for the first time, couple things I may have missed:

1. Does it not do turn by turn directions with street names ? I created a route in MS using the route tool and all it did was tell me that waypoints were coming up and to turn left etc. - it never gave the actual street name

2. Is there a way to switch quickly between the diff map views ?

Overall though, its a nice unit. The screen is very good and is very responsive.
  12. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    It not only wastes time (nuvi & computer), it will erase your topo if you do it to the unit twice!
  13. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    1. Go to tools>settings> language>voice and make sure you have "American English Samantha (TTS)" selected. Actually any of them with TTS (Text to Speech) will work.

2. Not that I have found. I use "Track up" as I don't card for the 3D view anyway.
  14. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    As bird said no, but while in 3D touching the screen once changes to a static overhead N up view and a second touch is then required to pan the map or select a map point. "Back" will then return you to the 3D view.

Bruce
  15. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    1. Thanks. I have it set to British English (naturally :lol3). I don't see the exact entry you list above - I just get American English - are they the same ? How do you tell which of the language options are TTS ?

2. Got it - not a big issue

Thanks a bunch :thumb
  16. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I did see that, but I was wondering if there was a way to change the main map view. Turns out there isn't - no biggie.
  17. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Have you updated your firmware? I think 3.90 is current.
    tools>settings>system>about
    I've always had "Samantha TTS" but I think the update added many other voices.
    Note that when the Nuvi 500/550 first came out they did NOT have the TTS capability. You will see this complained about in old reviews of the units.

The TTS voices have "(TTS)" written in the name exactly as I posted above.
    I have *3* British English voices listed:

British English
    British English-Daniel (TTS)
    British English-Serena (TTS)
  18. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Well that is interesting. First thing I did was update the firmware and so my unit is also 3.90. Now, there is also an audio version (whatever that is for) and mine is 2.20 and GPS SW version which is 2.47b.

None of the voice choices I have have TTS listed. I only have a single American English and British English option.
  19. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Weird. My Audio version is 1.20 :dunno

I have like 50 different voices listed in many different languages, some TTS some not.
  20. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Found it on the Garmin site. I had to download and use their WebUpdate products. This checks the firmware and also allows you to install additional files such as updated help, updated audio files etc. I now have the dulcet tones of Serena guiding me :clap