Nuvi 500 Questions from a Noob

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by OhioAirhead, Aug 15, 2010.

1. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Around here you will hear her say "Turn right on Co Rd Zed Zed" :lol3
  2. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Quite right too...:D
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i have all the same numbers and no text to speach (TTS) street names just turn left etc.

so i went to garmin in windows start menu and webupdater.
    i now just just added the voices w/ TTS next to them.

i checked other things and some say no changes and some highlight what would be a change but the version is the same??? i checked them also to be sure.

i'm now using samantha TTS. thanks for the heads up. yet another feature this thing does.
    odd how there is variations and it's not loaded from factory.

additional fun voices are here:
    http://www8.garmin.com/vehicles/voices/

another update i found was at my garmin.
    the other day it said the unit sw was up to date (in mydashboard), but today it said there was a software update. i ran it and it took about 2 minutes. it's not a map update but a unit software update.

everyone should check for this update and run webupdater to get text to speach!!!
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    whoa. my audio version is now 1.2 (from 2.2) after the my garmin sw update. funny how that works. that's obviuosly the update.

so TTS is a 2 part update:
    -unit sw via my.garmin.com
    -webupdater voice additions
  6. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    That is weird - just checked mine....and mine is now 1.10 :lol3
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    stoped work and went for a quick drive.
    TTS is slick. real nice to hear a street name vr just turn.
  8. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    More weirdness - after reading eakins' post I went to mygarmin and checked for software updates. It said an update was available. Went through the process, it said it was now up to date. Checked out the unit and everything was the same as before:huh Software version 3.90, audio version 1.20, GPS SW version 2.47b

So I connected to mygarmin and it once again told me an update was available. Did it again - same thing. Said it was updated but everything is the same :dunno
  9. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    It works pretty well but occasionally has trouble with what to say.

There's a highway near here which is NE 370 (NE for Nebraska) - it says "north east 370".

Also told it to find the UPS Store - it pronounces it as the word "ups":lol3

"arriving at ups store on right"
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    did you ever get an up to date message?
  11. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    yep - twice:huh
  12. LookOutLinn

LookOutLinn Strom Trooper

Oddometer:

Thanks!!!!..... I was pulling out my hair until I read your post. :clap
  13. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Glad to help :thumb
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    http://my.garmin.com/locate/google-...?hl=en&a_key=c6a2af1c9bee6bfbebd2000da4204779

this is the google earth to garmin instructions

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/maps/thread?tid=4326ddaa14b8402e&hl=en
    ???
    Short answer, when you are signed into google maps, the only option from the 'Send' button is email.
    If you are not signed in, the Send button has Email, Phone, Car, GPS options. I don't know why.
    Long answer, if you need to sign into Maps to select your saved maps (which seems to eliminate the send options), once the map and route is what you want, sign out. The page will refresh with the same map and route. Then since you are not signed in, the 4 send options appear.
    (This solution was used with both Firefox and Safari)
  15. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    OK, I have a strange issue.

Found a route online for bicycle ride I want to do. I downloaded it, tidied it up a bit and created a route etc. with about 100 waypoints, total distance was 28 or so miles. In MapSource I have all the options set to avoid and the mode set to bicycle. Imported the file to the unit (via transferring the GPX file to the storage card) and it didn't appear to do much if any calculating and it imported almost immediately.

Open the route on the unit. 44 miles :confused

I previewed the route and it (certainly appears to) follows exactly the same route as per the route in MS.

Emailed the file to a mate - he sees the same as I do in MS. Now a lot of the WP are a little of the route so he tidies these up and total comes down to 26 or so miles. He sends it to me, I transfer them to the unit and then do an import. This time the import takes much much longer and voila, mileage is about right - 28 miles compared to 26.7 in MS.

So...WTF is going on :ear

I don't expect the mileage in MS to be exactly the same as on the unit (I understand the routing engines are not 100% the same) but a difference of 50% seems a tad...well...excessive :D

Cheers
    :freaky
  16. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I ran into similar issues when I tried to use my old City Select v7 maps to create routes for the Nuvi (which had City Nav NT 2020.10 at that time).

The way/via points being "a little" off of the route is the problem IMHO. It's kind of a pain, but I would use your downloaded route as a guide but create a brand new route in Mapsource using the exact same maps as you have in the Nuvi. Once I started using the same maps to make my routes I had no problems.
  17. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike. It is very weird why it happens - when I say the way/via points being a little off, it's not all of them and the ones that are, are off the route to the side of a road by no more than 10yards.

This is the first one I have found like this - I think the key is to make sure the route is OK on the unit BEFORE heading out for the first time.
  18. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I had all kind of weirdness, even some via points just not there. Again, fine after I used the same maps in Mapsource and on the unit.

Yeah, I would at least do the preview and see if the total miles matches up (within about 1 mile due to rounding). If any doubt scroll along and check it out.

I'm in Carthage, MO getting ready for 3 days of AR twisty riding using the Nuvi 500 and several custom routes.:clap I'll report any issues...
  19. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Have a great time Mike.

I have to say, if I'd paid $500 or whatever the initial price was for the 500 I'd be pretty annoyed right now. As much as I detested my 2610 that was all due to the screen and the UI - both of which are really good on the 500. Where the 500 is really let down is the functionality it offers - the 2610 seemed to offer a lot more.

Anyway, at $150 I can live with it's shortcomings.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    possibly different datums???