Nuvi 500 Questions from a Noob

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by OhioAirhead, Aug 15, 2010.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    how do i remove a route from my data?

i created a test route in mapsource, transfered it and it's listed in my data.
    i then imported it so it's listed in favorites and i can use it.
    there is a delete option in favorites so it's gone from there, but i get no delete option in my data. do i have to manually delete? how is it saved?
  2. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    In Garmin/GPX, delete all the files in that directory but Current.GPX and if you transferred it manually as a GPX, delete that file also.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    thanks. that was my thought on how to do it.
    so what is current.gpx then?
    is that how the unit saves it's 1 available track it can create?
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    me too. but $150 is a make me happy price. i have a 60csx and am amazed how much functionality is missing in the nuvi. on the other hand it's so easy to use the nuvi compared to the 60 and the screen display is so much easier to see. i've played some w/ the 2610 and it's an advanced gps like the 60 vrs a simple 500. it's an apples to oranages comparison.
  5. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    AFAIK yes, that's what it contains as well as the current route if you have one loaded. I actually deleted that file once to see what would happen and the unit just re-created it the next time it re-booted, no problem.
  6. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    I would agree apart from the issue of price. As I say, if I'd bought one of these when they first came out - especially coming from a 2610, I'd be really really annoyed at the lack of features. It just seems strange Garmin actually removed features instead of adding features while keeping the same price range.

Well...not when you look at Garmin as a whole and their terrible software and their crappy UI.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    these are pricier than other nuvi because of the waterproofing.
    as for removing features, the nuvi line is that way for audience intended.
    there is a reason why so many garmin's, so many user segments.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    so anyone know how to delete geocahes?
    i grabbed a few from garmin's site (my extras)
    and put them on both 60csx & 500.
    i'm going to use both in the field and see how they compare when on foot.

500 shows better cache detail, has descriptions/hints etc. and names it properly but i don't see a delete option like on the 60 when i hit menu. if this is dumbed down feature it seems the 60 is easier in this perspective.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    found em. also in gpx folder. also now see a new position.gpx file
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    do we have an exact number of maps/tiles/segments can be added to a card via mapsource? i've got 1.75 gb / 3050 maps so far w/ garmin topo, ak, ca, mx. i want to add bicimaps and e32 for mx and wondering if i should just make a mx only msd card.
  11. bigtallguy

bigtallguy Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer:
    I just downloaded these two, and got mapsource, but when I try to create a route it only does the straight line route. I looked for the option to create turn by turn directions but that menu seems to be missing. Is there a way to get that to work with this?
  12. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    You have Mapsource, but no maps. If you want to get "follow roads" routes you need a mapset that supports autorouting, like City Navigator.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    correct you need an autorouting mapset such as city navigator.
    those downloads are kinda useless by themself and if you bought city navigator it would include mapsource anyway.

do you own a gps?

if you just want to play with mapsource you could get some state non-autorouting maps here for free.
    http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/
  14. bigtallguy

bigtallguy Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer:
    I have a nuvi 205 at the moment and just paid for a nuvi 500. I didn't want to have to buy a whole map set just to be able to use mapsource but it looks like that may be the case. All I really need it for is to plan a trip and load the routes into the gps.
  15. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    When the 500 arrives do a firmware update and your one time CN map update. Choose to pay for the disk shipping or opt to install the update to both the GPS and computer. At which point you will have the updated CN on GPS and the latest version of MapSource and CN on the computer.

Doesn't BaseCamp display maps from the GPS, preloaded or on SD?

Bruce
  16. bigtallguy

bigtallguy Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer:
    I'm buying it used, do I still get to do the update thing? I'm thinking the previous owner did the update and registration.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    hopefully but try anyway and maybe he never did and you get first reg. & latest maps. however if he did then you can't get mapsource/city nav on your computer.
  18. Swampy

Swampy Mayor of Swampyville

Oddometer:
    Okay.... new question.... I hope....

Is there someway to be able to use the Nuvi 500 if it's plugged in to charge the battery? Everytime I plug it into the car adapter it pops up a screen with a computer tower....and I can't access anything else...

I wanna be able to hard wire it into my bikes electrical system like I have done with other gps' before....

help!
  19. bigtallguy

bigtallguy Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer:
    I just used mine with the car adapter, it worked fine for me. Not sure what would make it think it's attached to a computer while using an adapter.
  20. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    ?

The car adapter that came with the unit? It shouldn't work like this. If you are using an adapter from another device it may not work properly.

I sometimes use the AC charger for my Motorola cell phone and it will kick the Nuvi into computer mode.

I used this cable to hard wire the Nuvi 500 to my Triumph Bonneville
    http://www.gpscity.com/gilsson-bare-wire-power-cable.html

I also bought this cradle and power cable to use on my ST1100. This cable appears to be more robust than the Gilsson one - heavier guage wire, comes with a fuse holder, mini USB plug has a small rubber boot to help keep moisture out.
    http://www.offroute.com/product/view_product.asp?x_ID=149253&CatID=14248&p=0