Nuvi 500 Questions from a Noob

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by OhioAirhead, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Swampy

Swampy Mayor of Swampyville

Oddometer:
    Yup car adapter from the unit.... plus it does it with the house adapter as well...

here's what I get...

[​IMG]

Any help appreciated!
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    you need to contact garmin. mine powers just fine with the supplied car adapter. when power with it it beeps and the battery life indicator goes away. when the car is turned off the unit says it lost external power and ask me what i want to do: turn of or battery power.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    been using a zagg screen portector for a week now and i like:
    http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/garmin-nuvi-500-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

i fugured a toughscreen and bike that gets dirty outside needed some protection.

screen is a bit shinier after vrs the matte screen, but it's a great protector.
    finger slides easier. i comes w/ install liquid and cloth. no bubles after 3 days. can't tell something is there unless you look at the very edge and see where the matte screen actually is.
  4. bigtallguy

bigtallguy Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer:
    Got the new nuvi in and the previous owner did the original update. I e-mailed garmin and they let me do the update again and I was able to install the maps to the computer:D Kudos to garmin customer support:clap
  5. ADVwanaB

ADVwanaB BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer:
    is anyone using the 550 for extreme off road such as enduros??
    i am looking for a reasonable GPS to get me out of the woods and need ,, afordability, simplicity,reliability, waterproof and shockproof. Is this the unit for me???
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    on the kings of the west extreme offroad ride thread everyone with a zumo had problems (and i'd assume it's built more rugged than this unit).
    not sure how the usb connection will handle abuse over time. i bought mine for street use and in my cage. i have a 60csx for the burly stuff.
  7. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Went for a bicycle ride Saturday using a route I downloaded from the web.

I checked the route before I went in Mapsource and it all looked fine. When I loaded it onto the GPS, it seemed to load fine and so I set off. It took me totally the wrong way and I have no idea why. I tried everything

mmm just tried to upload the GPX but it won't let me....can we not do attachments ?

Anyway....I did a couple screen shots but I guess unless you can see the GPX, it won't make much sense.

Anyway I can upload the GPX file ? I'd really like to upload it and see if someone could load it onto their 500 to see it they get the same result as I did.....
  8. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Merc, e-mail it to me and I'll check it out tbirdsp@yahoo.com
    Send your screen shots too.

Attachments are iffy in normal conditions, and we are in "upgrade hell" (see ADV link in red text above).
  9. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Thanks a bunch Mike - I did see that thread about the upgrade. I tell ya, I am almost at my last tether with this GPS - the routing engine leaves a lot to be desired and the fact you can't turn autorouting off just adds to the fun :lol3
  10. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I had the same issuse with your file. I duplicated the route on my own and it seems to work. I e-mailed it back to you.