1. eNewsletter Sign Up

NV 2012 - In Memory of the Crewmen.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Hodakaguy, Jun 6, 2012.

1. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Awesome you guys! :clap:clap:clap
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Nice report! I love that area out there,was there about mid June this year,we rode from Portola on hiway 70 to Gerlach then to Denio and to Soldiers Meadow the back way through Onion Reservoir. We rode 800 miles all together.
    Its was Hot all the way so we were up and on the bikes at 6 in the AM when possible. We did make it up to the crash site,very nice plaque you guys put up,Very nicely done!

I burned off 9 lbs in 4 days,hot enough where it was hard to stay hydrated. Last year (2011) in late June we had ice storms/rain/snow/lightning/thunder in the same area.
  3. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Were there many signatures in the guest book?

Thanks

Hodakaguy
  4. DMackey

DMackey n00b

Oddometer:
    Amazing Story and Pics, Thanks a ton for sharing it with us here.

I read about this story in the latest issue (Sept 2012) of the AMA Magazine, "American Motorcyclist" on page 42.
  5. dvwalker

dvwalker Working to ride

Oddometer:
    Just returned from a 11 day trip and visited the memorial and crash site on 9-17. Very sobering but scenic site...Looks like one big group (ironman ds) and handfuls of smaller groups since 6-1, previous sig was 9-1.

That last 20+% grade hill climb was a handful on a fully loaded DS bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Hoologan

Hoologan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't been to the site yet, but I did see this :)

[​IMG]
  7. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Hey that looks familiar :rofl

Hodakaguy
  8. Remarksman

Remarksman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aha! I started reading this report and it all seemed strangely familiar, but then I kept seeing other photos and and things that I knew I would have rememberedÂ… this explains it!

Great report with a really cool "project" - kudos to all four of you for placing that sign!
  9. KnightRider374

KnightRider374 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hodakaguy,

I spent today at the American Cemetery near Cambridge, England and I thought a lot about those who had fallen on foreign soil as well. I just had to come back and read through all these posts again in honor of our ride last year and to remember those who went down in that bomber.

I hope you are doing well and start lining up our next adventure when your van is done.

Cheers,

KnightRider374
  10. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I was just down there, I did not have a chance to ride up to the crash site. I left a couple flags with Bobby at Denio Junction. If someone is down there, please stop in and grab the flags and take them up to the site. If you think about it, snap a picture and post it in here. Thanks! :clap

Remember, there is not any gas available in Denio Junction yet. :deal
  11. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Good deal! If anyone makes it up there take some pics of the entrys in the log book and post them up here as well.

Thanks

Hodakaguy
  12. RememberTheFallen

RememberTheFallen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hodakaguy,

You sell all of your bikes? Remember reading you where focusing on family adventures with a van. Still riding? Really enjoy your ride reports.
  13. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Yeah I sold the bikes (except for my vintage Vespa) to fund the Syncro. I'll pick up another bike though and will be back to taking desert trips and doing ride reports :clap Can't wait!!

Hodakaguy
  14. enduro16

enduro16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ive never been there,its winter here,in fact was snowmobiling today,God bless you guys awsome job,Thanks for RR its food for the soul....
  15. Susan Bucek Jahr

Susan Bucek Jahr n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    I registered to join your group simply because, I am sitting here with tears rolling down my face as I looked at all the awesome photos you of the Denio crash site....My father was Edward Bucek, the pilot of this plane. (I never knew my dad as he died a month before I was born).... I cannot thank you all enough for what you have done for the crash site and the crew...the plaque is awesome. The photos are amazing....(except for that huge rattlesnake!!). I came upon your website totally accidently. For some reason, my dad has been on my mind a lot these days, so I googled the unit he was stationed at in Idaho...and then I googled the plane and when I added the plane's registration number to my google search, your site came up and I have been teary eyed ever since. As you probably know, the Army conducted an archeological dig at the site some years ago and all the little bone fragments that were excavated were sent for DNA testing for identification and ultimately all the items and bone fragments were then interred in Arlington Cemetery. I was told that my sons have permission to visit the site and remove a couple of pieces of the wreckage but they have not done so. The photos you took of the site are so far superior to those that I have of the dig from the Army.... that I felt like I was actually there too.
    My heart is so full.... I'm so overcome with emotion that I can't think of the right words to say....all I can give you is my most heart-felt thank you for the beautiful tribute you all have given to my father and his crew. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you....you are awesome!!!!
    Sincerely,
    Susan Bucek Jahr
  16. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^That is just wonderful! Glad you found this amazing site and this great ride report and tribute to those fallen.
  17. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Susan , such a well written "Thanks You" to the original riders that spent the time /effort/money to put that memorial there for those that served us all so well. Thank YOU!
  18. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am glad you were able to find this ride report about Hodakaguy's visit to the crash site. His memorial plaque is very nice. I hope you and your family are able to visit the site sometime. You will need a 4x4 to make it up there as it is quite difficult terrain to pass over.
  19. Tooner

Tooner Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cruising around the ride reports this morning i came upon this one. I am always curious when an old thread that hasn't seen the light of day in years gets bumped, so I dove in and started reading with anticipation. Did someone retrace their trip?

The secret mission was the next thing that hooked me. My sincere thanks goes out to the guys for placing the memorial. That was awesome. Thank you.

Then the finale. The post from Susan. I was blown away.

Susan, You have my sincere condolences. I'm sorry you never knew your father. I hope you can feel like you are making a connection to him as you research more. So many young men were lost in that era. There are probably thousands of stories like yours out there. We all owe a great deal to those men like your father. Men that gave their all including their very own lives to answer the call to duty and defend the land and people they loved.

Tonight I will raise a glass to Susan and the father she never knew, Lt. Edward Bucek.
    kojack06 and Takin'aTrip like this.
  20. 2wheeldevildog

2wheeldevildog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another group of fine Americans!!! Thanks gents for honoring the crew. Warms my heart.
    kojack06 likes this.