1. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like to introduce an area I have found to offer great big-DS-bike riding. I moved to this area a yr ago and while I haven't done the amount of riding I planned to do I have found great opportunity.
    Generally speaking this area is near the intersection of UT, AZ, and NV. Mesquite NV and St George Ut are the larger communities. The riding opportunities can be broken into 2 areas. 1) along the UT- NV state line, and 2) the area primarily in AZ NW of the Grand Canyon.
    I'm always interested in new riding buddies PM if interested in rides, and I'll post if I'm planning a ride with buddy opportunities. So far most all rides are easy for ADV bikes with only a few spots of intermediate level difficulty. (I'm attempting to attach pic's next area 1 first area 2 second)
  2. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pictures

Attached Files:

Bonnie & Clyde and Todd157k like this.
  3. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    AZ pictures
    "elbow" is an intermediate level. This section is steep and loose.

Attached Files:

Bonnie & Clyde and Todd157k like this.
  4. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode yesterday (11-12)
    Day started late and poorly. I wanted to see a new (to me) area near Modena but I didn't get that far. But tried a different new to me new road. I went off pavement at Lytle Ranch road and crossed into NV (crossing Beaver wash where I had problems last spring), and then turned north on Bull Valley. Great road - twisty and up/down. Then to Bunker peak Barclay, Caliente, Elgin, to I15 exit 100, and back. Stats: loop 190mi 60 paved.

Attached Files:

Todd157k likes this.
  5. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    This pic was blurred for some reason - dust or something. Used auto fix but still grainy

Attached Files:

Todd157k and Square1 like this.
  6. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dino702 likes this.
  7. -E-

-E- Klaatu barada nikto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out my2wheels.com
    Lots of Vegas area dual sport riders there.
    dino702 likes this.
  8. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A lot of the pictures you have posted I rode a couple of weeks ago on the Tenere.

I want to ride out to Bar 10 ranch on some not too gnarly dirt departing Las Vegas.
  9. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I have said I am new to living here but have visited a few times.
    So here's what I know about getting to Bar 10.
    First get to Mt Trumbull school. Easiest is from the north from St George. This road is big and flat and smooth. (I rode it in heavy rain)
    From Mesquite you can use Elbow canyon, not easy.
    Next available is Lime Kiln to Mud Mountain or Hidden Canyon. Moderate difficulty.
    Or you can go way to the south and head north from Gold Butte road (mostly paved) northward on dirt roads (I haven't done exactly this route but pieces). Again most of this is moderate. This route starts closest to Las Vegas. But no matter what you have to get to Riverside before getting off I-15.
    Once to Mt Trumbull school its one route only to Bar Ten - moderate difficulty.
    Some passes/high plains can get snow in winter, but might still be considered year-round possible.

Are you planning to stay at B&B at Bar 10?
    I am up for the ride but not so much a stay if you are wondering.
  10. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I always have to be back home same day for work. No staying anywhere.
  11. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chillis:
    I'm not employed so I don't have consistent constraints. Conflicts here and there thru the holidays, but generally I can get away to ride. Let me know if you want company and we'll ride.
  12. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's more rare than a virgin bride? Riding buddies.
    It was a bit crowded in Nvazut land- 3 bikes in 4000 sq mi. We did the loop thru Bunker pass and Caliente and back. New to me was the area SE of Caliente (07) and from the Carp road to the truck parking on I-15 mile post 110 (8).

Attached Files:

pratered and jtwest like this.
  13. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Yep some good riding down there
  14. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Investigated some new area routes. Admittedly I started on one of these routes on my 950 last year and got stopped by snow. This year there was snow but not enough to abort route.
    Bryan and I left Mesquite -he was on GS800 and I a new KTM500EXC. We went past the stone houses, to rainbow road.
    pic 1 -showing my new bike.
    Then went on to Elgin school and started the new route, Pennsylvania Canyon. This climbed to high elevations and was big bike moderate difficulty. Easy for 500.
    We then went on to Caliente for gas. We continued south on 317 and a another new piece, rode the Carp pass road. It may be longer but more fun. Back to past the stone houses and to Mesquite.

Attached Files:

jtwest and pratered like this.
  15. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went on a ride yesterday, perhaps the best I have had since I moved from Idaho. My ridding buddy Myrle led us thru the sand washes to collection of roads NW of town so no highway right off. I have ridden these washes before -yrs ago, but I always had suitable tires, and while the 500KTM is at home in such an environment the tires made it less than fun. We rode by the stone buildings to Camp rd, then rainbow then up to Carp Pass road - new to Myrle and then headed to Riggs Bishop road. Myrle had been there in a Jeep and felt it was a bad idea, but I routed a path using my gps and he agreed. This was the highlight of the day. It was very fun. (Big bike tolerant too) We then hit 93 and went into Caliente for fuel and rode Pennsylvania Cn back to Elgin and Carp cutoff Rainbow and then Myrle suggested Camp rd and rode all the way back to washes and that didn't go too well but we eventually found our way the same as the way out. The pic's are Riggs Bishop -Applewhite.

Attached Files:

16. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I should meet up with you on one of these rides.

My random schedule makes it tough.
  17. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought the same thing - just say-when. My schedule is pretty open - ie no job.
  18. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Ha ha. Right now there might be a bit of snow!
  19. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a little skiff yesterday in the Virgin mountains but Saturday even above 7k ft it was rideable. There was as much mud as snow. Staying low there's nothing. I'm not sure where you are considering.
  20. Chillis

Oddometer:
    On my list is getting back to Parashant/Grand Canyon national monument and seeing Whitmor Wash and Kelly Point.