NW Arkansas to Copper Canyon, Mexico on 250's

Discussion in 'Americas' started by TRZ Charlie, Nov 3, 2009.

1. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Father Son trip from NW Arkansas to Copper Canyon, Mexico on (edited from a pair of 250's) an XR250L and a DRZ400S. Besides good maintenance, new tires, and the proper tools, tires and tubes what else do we need? We plan to camp so there will be two pup tents, bags and minimal food as we plan to eat out as often as possible. I need advice because this will be my first long bike trip with my 17 year old son. I want him to have good memories not nightmares. Talk to me!
  2. rufusswan

rufusswan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relax, have a good time, and share the lead.
  3. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Wow, thirty six views and one opinion??? How unlike ADV is that?
  4. I don't know when your going but the mountains around creel can be quite cold, the last time I was there it was 28 degrees and snowing when we left creel and that was in the middle of December.
    I'm taking my 18 y/o to baja after xmas this year, have fun.

Jeff
  5. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    We aren't able to go until the first week of next June. I wonder if you can give me some insight as to the elevation at the top of the canyon and at the bottom? Just wondering about jetting issues.

Also, any recommended places to eat, camp, stay in hotels etc.?

Thanks
  6. Vic-klr

Vic-klr TEETET Aventuras T el T

Oddometer:
    in creel you can camp in villa mexica the cost was least year 75 pesos for tent, dont worry for the jet in the bike, I will do ok, june is a good time to go, not to cold of hot, but inthe nigh it cant get cold, my recommendation is to enjoy and relax, the road to divisadero is fun a lot of curs, and getting to the bottom of the barrancas is fun, you can get gasolina most of all little town, they only have magna gas is the green one, lite the regular from the us, if wend you cross to mexico go to a casa de cambio and change your dollar for pesos, buy a calling card for the public phone, and put the card in zip bag with your name and phone number, to call from mexico to the us you have to dial 001+are code+you number.

Hope this help:freaky
  7. DrLewall

DrLewall Master of bating

Oddometer:
    don't you have to do some paperwork ahead of time showing that you own the vehicle and that you will be operating that vehicle in that country for a certain amount of time and that you have to purchase mexican insurance? I've never been down there but have heard this and horror stories to go along with it.
  8. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    You lucky guy--a father and son trip---I sure wish I could get my son to go with me---he's just a busy guy.

The best thing you could do is read some ride reports of people that have gone to Mexico---you will pick up everything you need to know.

I've been to Mexico several times and you can read those ride reports here:

http://bigdogadventures.com/01Barrancas08.htm

http://bigdogadventures.com/01Barrancas08.htm

http://bigdogadventures.com/copper01.htm

The last one was my first time---and you may find it very interesting as we were green as gords----the other trips I kind of knew what I was getting into and was much more experienced.

Anyway----------besides reading my ride report and others.-----my one big piece of advice is to not go in June as you planned---it will be unbearably hot. I've always went in November or February----very warm down in the canyons---maybe a little cold at elevations---but a nice combination of temps.
    If someone gave me a free trip down there in the summer--all
    expenses paid--I wouldn't go----much to hot.

Creel is at about 6,000 ft. I think.
    YOu will be much more comfy going in the winter.

Copper Canyon is a very large, long and vast canyon system----seems most travelers think that going down into the canyon
    to the tiny town of Batopilas is the only place to see the canyon and get to the bottom.
    Not---so----it's great---but there are other options which I much prefer.
    Sinfarosa Canyon for one-----no town--no people---just you, your son, your motorsickles
    And the most beautiful sites you've ever seen---it's South and a little West of Guachochi.

You jetting probably will be fine if you haven't jetted for big performance and
    aftermarket exhausts at lower elevations. You won't be going to extreme elevations like you
    would in Colorado. Most of the time you will be at 6,000ft.and lower--most of the time.

You will meet these nice fellows---probably several times.
    Very friendly and will help you anyway they can. Nice people.

[​IMG]
  9. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Bigdog...thanks so much for reposting those links. I learned a lot about the area from reading your blog, trouble is I just want to leave tomorrow. There still is the matter of procurring another 250 for my son! If it wasn't for that.....
  10. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    11/8/09

Since is our preparation blog, I thought it would be good to keep it updated.

My son and I talked this morning. He has agreed to purchase my XR250L for himself. So, we are still seeking a second bike only this one is for me.

I am now considering selling my (other) best gal, a fully loaded 06 Wee Strom to help finance the purchase of said bike. Hopefully there will be enough left to purchase the required farkles to outfit both bikes. I am retired on disability and on a fixed income so everything comes when we can pay cash for it. I really don't want to sell the Wee Strom but it may become victim in this quest to put together our trip.

The decision to buy a bigger dirt bike has made pursuit of this endeavor much more difficult. But, I am determined to make a lasting (good) memories for my Son like the ones I have about my Dad. As of now my wife (Martha) has been a really good sport about this even though she is feeling somewhat left out due to the Father/Son aspect of the trip. Thus far I think she understands the costs that will be involved but would rather I stay within our established family budget. Selling the Strom is the only way I see staying on budget. I am hopeful that I can pull this off.

Having reconsidered our quest to do this on 250's I've had the realization that because I out weigh my son almost 2 to 1. On the advice of close riding buddies Doc Lewall, 10Cup and Zetacatfish I am considering that it might be best for me to step up a bit in horsepower so that I won't give a lil' 250 a coronary getting to Copper Canyon and back via the TAT (no, were not using a trailer, at least not at this writing).

Anybody have a good DRZ they wanna sell?

Also, after talking with some friends I have decided to run a portion of the Western TAT on our way to Mexico. This would slow down the ride which in my opinion is a good thing but would add several days to a trip which is already proving to be an expensive endeavor.

So, these are things that I have decided are must have's for this trip.

DRZ400 (still pondering but leaning towards it) - $2500 -$3000
    DirtBagz for the 250 - $250
    Giant Loop bag for the DRZ (if purchased) - $300 collection]GiantLoop[/url]/products/coyote-saddlebag
    Motion Pro tire change spoons (3) - $45
    One electric air pump - $30 $
    Stem chaser/remover - $15
    A modular swing arm jack - $35
    Sams Maps - $300
    A Garmin 276c for one bike (I have a Delorme handheld for the other with base maps for Mexico) - $375
    New tires for both bikes prior to departure Dunlop D606's - $300

Even though our trip isn't until next year I am already feeling the pressure of preparation (self imposed but there none the less). I really need to find a "reasonably priced" aka: cheap DRZ and this seems to be a daunting task as most are in the 3K range which is out of our budget if I don't sell my Wee.
  11. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    11/09/2009 Update

Last evening I did the paperwork for Passports for my son and I. Next we need to get passport photos and $200 dollars together to order them.

Yesterday I found a 2000 DRZ400 that was fairly well farkled with 12K on it for $2400. While it is still out of my price range I think it is a good choice to haul my "portly" body toMexico. I really liked the power it afforded me and handled a lot better than I expected. It has carbon fiber brush busters, carbon fiber bash plate and carbon fiber counter shaft cover. It has brand new Pereli MT60's on it (I know they are Pereli, not sure of the model). It starts easily and has the magic button! Yay!

Today I made an offer on it for $2100 and it was accepted.

Tomorrow I pick it up! let the farkling begin.

So, now I need to start customizing for my short body (30" inseam), I will either lower the rear with dogbones and raising the fork tubes or get a Renazco seat made for it to fit me.

I also will be ordering a Clarke tank for it and the XR as soon as my VStrom sells.
  12. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    A few things to consider. Do you have to travel in June? I'd guess yes with a 17 year old who probably is still in school. If you plan on doing a lot of dirt, June starts getting hot at the lower elevations, especially on the Batopilas side of the canyon. Like BD mentions, it's much better in late fall/winter/early spring.

Also, does your son have a credit card? If he doesn't he'll have to post the bond in cash (~$400). There are several threads on the documentation required for a TVIP, read them and make your self familiar with what you'll need to get the temp import permit.

Usually you get the best exchange rates by using your ATM or credit cards (or a combination of both). I never use money changers, when I need cash I just take it out of a local ATM. Just ask at your bank what fees they charge for international withdrawals so you don't get surprised. Many banks have a fixed fee on international transactions, in that case, you want to make few large withdrawals instead of many small ones for best overall rates.

Keep reading ride reports. You'll learn a lot about the area and it'll help you figure out where to go with the time you have.

Gustavo
  13. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Great information Gustavo. Thanks everyone for the input keep it coming!
  14. tcourdin

tcourdin Resident Spooner

Oddometer:
    Dont ride wheelies through town after one to many Tequila shots...you will go to jail and NOT have a good time...ask me how I know this.:evil
  15. Uglyprimate

Uglyprimate UglyPirate

Oddometer:
    June will be reasonably comfortable down in the mountains.

June is going to absolutely SUCK from Arkansas to the border.

Texas is miserable.
  16. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    TX is miserable no matter what time of year you travel through...just kidding sort of.
  17. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    11/10/09

Well today another piece of the puzzle came together. I got my "new to me" 2000-DR-Z400. It has 10K on it with a fresh valve adjustment and oil change with filter. New Pereli tire on the back and a new one for the front unmounted. So now we have the bikes:

DR-Z440S

[​IMG]

XR250L

[​IMG]

I also placed my VStrom on ebay today to help finance the trip and equip the bikes for travel. I sure like the DRZ...great bike, shitty seat! Tank and Seat will be the first farkles.
  18. yosso

yosso We gotta go now. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck, sounds like a trip to remember. Subscribed.

Mike
  19. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I am hoping that we can make some lasting memories.
  20. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    As you are planning to eat at restaurants that means you are saving the trouble of packing along food, utensils, cooking pots , dishwashing supplies etc etc. Now, since you are planning to camp, why not get one slightly larger tent that can accomodate the both of you? This would save a lot of double packing and it need not be that much larger a bundle. Then it will save you a good deal of time in dual setting up,repacking on the bike-- especially when you realize that it would be simpler and not much more expensive to stay in small Mexican hotels.Believe me. You will after all want to take a shower every evening if it does turn out to be hot dusty/muddy/ sweaty while riding the bikes.Oh, maybe that is why you pack 2 tents, to not suffocate the other with b.o:rofl .June should really be no problem with cold weather , the highlands will be very nice temperate climate with possible afternoon thunderstorms. This might be another reason to pick hotels- use your daylight hours for the riding then settle in to a little hotel and scare up some vittles .Then in the morning have a nice breakfast and head out again for the next section well rested and clean and the bike checked over.
    Will the son be 18 years old by the time of the trip? Just a consideration, but if you travel with a minor you may have to provide proof from the other parent that it is with their permission. This is a border rule that might snag you, cause delays if there was a divorce/custody dispute .Best to be ready for any event, get a notarized letter of approval from ma..