NW Arkansas to Copper Canyon, Mexico on 250's

Discussion in 'Americas' started by TRZ Charlie, Nov 3, 2009.

1. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    11/15/09

Time for an update. I have been in route planning mode. I have found that is extremely difficult to find information via online mapping services to route from the US to Creel, Chihuahua.

I did find this GEM. However, I doubt their optimistic estimate of time verses mileage. It estimated that it would take 5.42 hours from Presidio, Tx to Creel? I mean WTF? we have a XR and a Dizzer not supersonic aircraft.

And that was another thing we decided today is that we will travel from NW Arkansas to the border at Presidio. Then on into Mexico.

Deciding to enter at Presidio prompted me to get serious about what procedures will be required and what paper work we will need upon entry. To that end I found THIS WEBSITE. which is the most comprehensive information on the subject that I have found to date.

The above website states that we will be required to have a credit or check card in each of our names. I am wondering if I really need one in each of our names? My son will still be a minor at the time of departure.
    I am guessing that my card will cover him?

Also, it states that each vehicle will be registered in our names. I am also pre-supposing that the bikes being in my name only will be ok? Am I wrong in that regard?

While I am making some progress toward getting us away from ground zero we are still stuck waiting for my Vstrom to sell on Ebay. The bike has to sell so I can start farkling the bikes. I hope that it receives some bids soon. Nothing to date.

We will be using this ROUTE to Presidio and I have (yes, call me a weenie) decided to trail to the border. We will do this for several reasons but the most important is that this will be my sons first long distance haul on a bike. He is learning, and he is good but, I don't want to push our luck. So the decision is made. We trail to the border (argh).

So the next puzzle piece I to figure out where I will be able to store the truck and trailer once were in Presidio? I mean I would still like them available to us we come back to pick them up. Any ideas out there? Any inmates in the area that will let me leave my truck and trailer in their drive or yard?
  2. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bing Maps does a pretty good job in MX. Their mileage/time estimates are about right from my experience. They show 307 miles and just over 8 hours from Presidio to Creel. The street detail in MX is pretty good and you can even save the routes to your GPS.

Sounds like a great trip you are planning. :clap Lot's of great memories.
  3. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can use your CC for you and post a cash bond for your son if he doesn't have a CC in his name. I'm guessing it will be around $300 for the XR. You will get it back when you leave MX. Just make sure you turn in the sticker and get the bikes checked out.

Sign the title over to him and get it registered in his name. You can also have both your names on the title.
  4. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Kennyanc, we don't have credit cards and haven't had any for a while. We do however have check cards. Do they take check cards at the border? Signing the title over to him isn't a problem but he is and will be a minor at the time of our entry to MX. So, I guess it will be in both names.

Thanks for the "bing" link. That is exactly what I was looking for.
  5. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    <o:p></o:p>

I asked you about that last week. You must have not understood what the questions was relating to.<o:p></o:p>
    The answer is usually no, you will not be able to use your card to cover him unless you find a particularly understanding Aduana agent, you'll have to post a cash bond.<o:p></o:p>

Yes, you are wrong. There are infinite threads on this here, it's even mentioned above a couple of times. Each person can import a single vehicle at a time (exceptions given to trailers and bikes that are towed on one or a truck), this means that each one of you will have to own the bike he is riding and importing temporarily into Mexico. If you show up with both bikes registered to you, you are looking at a very long day at the Aduana at the end of which you may have to go back home without ever traveling to the Copper Canyon.<o:p></o:p>

Gustavo
  6. patsymack

patsymack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Charlie,
    Sounds like a nice trip your planning with your son.I've trailered 3 times to Pesidio.I stayed at the Three Palms motel and we left our vehicle there in the lot behind the resturant.They charged us $2.00 a day once and nothing other times.Never had a problem.The ride from Presidio to Creel took us about 7-8 hours on a DR350 taking the Libre roads depending how lost you get going around Chihuahua City.Do your paper work the evening before so its just a matter of riding right across in the morning.Hth
    Patsy
  7. Vic-klr

Vic-klr TEETET Aventuras T el T

Oddometer:
    gustavo is rigth on the one, one for you and the other for your son, and for think are with the agentes aduanalas is gonna be hard to fine one agente aduanal to let you go witn two bikes at you name, they just fire the old agentes aduanales and have some new ones, that is all border crossing of chihuahua.
  8. AttoirRE

AttoirRE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That makes me kinda sad. I'm 24 and I wish I could have gotten my dad to go on a father son trip with me. His health prevents it now.
  9. JT

JT Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If at all possible, dont use a lowering link. It will reduce available suspension travel and you will need it it all when fully loaded. If your suspension bottoms completely, the tire may rub the frame and damage itself or the subframe.

Since the budget is limited, you can save a few bucks by getting the passport card instead of the book, look into it.

Most important, take plenty of pics, I wish i had.

Have a great trip.

JT
  10. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are asking all the right questions and getting all the right answers. It's interesting to watch you put this expedition together, and my sense is that in the end, your efforts to make this memory for you and your son will be well rewarded.

:thumb

Your number one tool, more important than your motorcycles, will be your camera. Years from now you'll both look back at this as one of the best things each of you had ever done.

Anticipating your trip report, hopefully with input from your young man included.

:wave

Buena Suerte
  11. AttoirRE

AttoirRE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speaking of fathers. =P
  12. JT

Oddometer:
    This may require a letter of permission from your wife.

With all the child custody fights occurring nowadays, dont take a chance on delaying the trip.

:deal

Hi Joseph and Bob!

JT
  13. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :wave is your Mexico low-level light lit yet?!

Note on The Note: Get it notarized.

Stick it in your tank bag. 98% chance you won't need it. I had such a letter notarized when I took my two youngest kids to Honduras for scuba diving. Didn't need it (they were 15 and 17 BTW) but I could have been asked for it, or so says the airline. It has more to do with the so-called crackdown on international trafficking in children, than it does custody battles, but it does relate to both.
  14. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    As to the passport, you are correct about the card. I will likely be requesting the card rather than the passport. Excellent information. Thanks

I plan to do a proper ride report with as many pictures as I can. I want this to be something my son can come back to in years to come.

As to wishing this ride had been done with your Father, this is exactly why I am doing this. I am not in the best of health. Therefore, I don't know how many years of riding I have left, I hope it is many. However, now is the time for us to do this ride.

I had two good trips alone with my Dad. Those memories are still alive in my mind. I still miss him terribly.

I have been considering staying at an Eco Lodge called Uno Lodge. The offer hiking and other travel opportunities within the area. I have emailed about availability during our time of travel.
  15. JT

Oddometer:
  16. Vic-klr

Vic-klr TEETET Aventuras T el T

Oddometer:

shit your are right there, my son is american and I am mexican and we went camping trip father and son I have to have a permission from my wife to goo more to the south of border, this was 10 year's ago, and she got the permission in the border, before you cross presidio go the immigration and get one, and don't forget to have your passport's, or you are stuck in mexico, if you don't have one, go to the court house (80dlls) and you recive your passport by mail in 1 month, hope this help's.
  17. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    11/21/09 - Update

Ride Practice

Today was my sons FIRST ride on gravel and one track. He did really well but he has a long way to go. He rode (with me in the lead) up a fairly steep (15-18 degree) rock strewn and rutted one track today and did just fine with it. From what I could see in my mirror he might have been in the wrong gear about mid way up but he made it. Given his athletic prowess I have no misgivings about his riding circles around me before we leave.

The XR250 did a good job too. We only rode about 45 miles but hey, it's a start. I also practiced my GPS track skills on this ride.

Stuck in the middle still

Still no movement on selling my VStrom and thus no movement on farkling the DRZ or the XR. Seems a shame that the Strom hasn't sold because it is a nice and well maintained bike. Time will sell it I know but when you are anxious to finish what you started it is tough to be patient.

Tracks within Copper Canyon

Today I registered on GPS TRACK LOG EXCHANGE and found a bunch of tracks for the area. So, now I have to go through each track and see which of them best fits our schedule and curiosity. Nice to have some idea of what is available to us.
  18. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    11/27/09

Just a short update. I just got back from the big D. Wow, I have been in the woods too long! Too much traffic for me.

Anyway, Brad and I had our passport photos taken this weekend. So, now when pay day rolls around I guess I can go to the county courthouse and finish the application process.

Not much else to report.
  19. nicomama

nicomama Rugged Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi Chuck,

Loved going through your diligent preparation for your amazing trip. It is so wonderful to get the support and knowledge from this experienced and adventurous community of ours.

I found this Copper Canyon railway website with maps that may help...

[​IMG]

Creel is 2400 meters, which translates to 7,874'. I just came back from a DRZ trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, which is 8,803' and didn't have any problems with jetting from my stock setup.

As far as camping goes in the canyon and outlying areas in Mexico, I found these notes on wikitravel.org re camping:

"Camping areas can be found just about anywhere, but for those not willing to rough it, a very wide range of accommodations is available in the vicinity, from hostels in Creel and Urique to dedicated 5-star luxury lodges that cater to package tourists. It is better to book a minimum 2 months in advance. 4 months or more is best (this applies only to the upmarket luxury lodges, simple guesthouses only fill up just before Easter and campgrounds always have space available).

[edit] Lodging

[edit] Camping

There are dedicated campgrounds in Creel and Urique, most other places you can camp wherever you find an unoccupied sandbar. Oftentimes the best option is to go up to a rancher or farmers house and ask permission perhaps offering a small payment. This gives you a little extra protection from theft or harassment."

I have never traveled in Mexico, so you will want to double check this advice with other guys that have done this trip before.

Here is a climate map that I also found on that railway website...

[​IMG]

And, here is a railway map of the area just to get the names down...

[​IMG]

Chuck, you are an inspiration. I look forward to the day when I take an adventure trip with my son (5) and daughter (8). Can't wait for your report.

My Best to you guys,
    Nicole
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  20. ManitouMike

ManitouMike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your son should be able to get a debit card (Visa/MC) at your/his bank or a prepaid credit card. I have used Debit/credit card every time I've gone to Mexico. Bike titled in his name will smooth things out. I always bring title but have never used anything more than a registration. Make sure registration and bike vins match or again could be a long weight.

Yahoo maps will track you to Creel or Batopilas from USA. Roads are well marked to Creel but when I went last year Batopilas sign was missing for turn off. I remembered from this website the rather large dirt turn off to the right at about 110 degrees, plus a small store is on the left across the street. Plenty on canyon maps in Creel. Enjoy, headed back spring break for some trail riding.