NW Arkansas to Copper Canyon, Mexico on 250's

Discussion in 'Americas' started by TRZ Charlie, Nov 3, 2009.

1. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words and great information Nicole.

This is the first time I will have been to Mexico by land. I have flown into Cancun, MX a few times but I'm not sure it even qualifies as part of Mexico anymore? Oh, and there was the time I hitch hiked down the left coast into Mexico from Ft. Ord, California, but that was a long time ago and alcohol was involved.

We continue to plod along waiting for my Vstrom to sell so that we can set up our new bikes. I also need to get some touring gear for my son. He needs riding pants, jacket and boots. We need luggage racks for both bikes. I have decided on this RACK for my DRZ which happens to be Nicole's company.

The XR250L is a tougher one to solve. I need my son to have a luggage rack but I haven't found one I like yet.

Then there is the need for larger fuel tanks on both bikes. The DRZ will likely get a Safari tank. While the XR will get a Clarke.

Both bikes need to get engine case armor too.

I am of the opinion that the seats that Suzuki provides for the DRZ (both stock and gel) were designed by the same person who designed the heat tiles for the space shuttles. Damn they are hard. So, I will be getting a version of this DR650 seat from Sargent CLICKY

All of this hinges upon sale of my Vstrom. So, here I sit impatiently waiting to order stuff.
  2. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. He has his on debit card so I guess he is good in that regard. I plan to re-register the bike in his name before we leave for the trip. Thanks for the idea of checking the VIN against the registration...great advice.
  3. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    So, how best to accomplish this? Park on the American side and walk through to the various Mexican officials getting the necessary paperwork done then walk back to the American side? Just trying to picture this in my mind.
  4. ManitouMike

ManitouMike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have always got my papers and left the next morning by riding up to office getting paperwork complete and then circling around and coming back through USA border/checkpoint. I will not do this again, I will get the paperwork and head south.

Another helpful tip is copy/scan your passport, credit card numbers, title, registration, drivers license and put them on Google Docs and you will have a copy anywhere you have internet access. I do this with all my important docs, as a house fire destroyed these before and it was all a pain in the ass.
  5. When going to Creel I crossed at Juarez and about half way to Chihuahua there is a turn to the right that will allow you to bypass chihuahua completely (wise in my opinion, chihuahua has a population of about 1 million and is a nightmare to navigate) that road will drop you off in Cuachtemoc and makes it an easy 1 day ride from the border to creel.

I am doing the same thing as you but I am going to BAJA x mas day with some friends and my 18 y/o son, he has a DR650 and I have a GS1200.

I have made trips to mexico on a Yamaha WR 426 with the stock seat, it will literally kill you, I even had an airhawk pad on it.

I'm not sure about the 250cc bike, there is alot of open road from the border to creel where the flow of traffic will be up to 70 mph and that's where you will stress that bike the most, not going in or out of the canyon.

As for luggage, check out Rev Pack, they have some of the toughest bags I have ever used and can be tied onto nearly any bike.

Have fun,

Jeff (Also From Arkansas)
  6. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    I assume this is a secure way to store things on the net? That sounds like a perfect answer to having what you need should you forget something.

7. I've never crossed at presidio, just wanted to forewarn you about chihuahua, last time I was there one guy in the group got separated and we thought we had lost him for a while.
    Chihuahua is a huge confusing place to navigate.

Jeff
  8. ManitouMike

Oddometer:
    Just go to Google and look for Google Docs--been using it for a few years anywhere I have computer access I have all my important documents.

No problem entering back in save for maybe a line and possible search at US border...could eat up an hour or could be 5 min. Knowing what I know now I would prefer to go into Mexico and get a room and eat there, saves money. Just my pref--that's all:^)

BTW-I know you want to camp but rooms can be cheap or expensive. Last trip my cheapest room was $5 split 2 ways and most expensive was $37 split also. Cheapest meal for 4 adults $7. Cheap room and meal was in Mazatan (a little off the beaten path). Don't over look the road side stand for good cheap food. The peso was 14 to 1 at the time.
  9. MotoAdventureGal

MotoAdventureGal Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Hey there,

I was in Copper Canyon (Batopilas) for Thanksgiving.

I'm a girl, I rode solo, and I had a b*l*a*s*t. I think I took 400 pics.

I think I can help a lot, since I crossed at Presidio.

It's a loooooooooong way from Presidio to Creel. I was told I could make it in 6 hours, and have a sit-down lunch...WRONG!

It's at least 9 hours of riding straight from Ojinaga (Mex. side of Presidio) at 45-55 mph to get to Creel 9okay , that includes a 1/2 hour lap of Chihuahua so maybe 8.5). I take lots of pics and am in no particular hurry. I could have ridden faster on the roads, but I was really savoring riding in Mexico for the first time. I managed to avoid the Cuota (toll highway) all the way and if you PM me or email me off my web site I can send you tracks. DISCLAIMER: I did some loops in a couple of towns trying to get myself onto the free road and not on the Cuota.

The first night I stayed in Coyame, only about 60 miles into Mexico. Don't do what I did--when they waived me through customs I though "jeezz, this is easy" and kept right on going. Even though the waive you through, STOP AND DO YOUR PAPERWORK. Or the Aduano 30 miles into Mexico will have a good laugh at your expense and send you back to the border. Thus my necessity to overnight in Coyame.

In Creel I stayed at Casa Margarita, in a dorm, for $150 Pesos. The cute frenchie backpacker in the bunk above me paid 100 Pesos BTW. Price included dinner and breakfast and free WiFi and parking the bike in their portico and a hot shower (not lukewarm like I seem to get everywhere else). NOTE: There are two Casa Margaritas, run by the same people, and this one is just opposite the train station. Creel was COLD at around 8000 ft in Nov. Why camp?

From Creel to Batopilas it was 92 miles, an it took me 6.5 hours moving time. Again, I took it slow, as I was alone, and stopped to take tons of pics. Actually my point & shoot crapped the bed that morning and so I kept having to stop and pull out the big SLR and that took up time. The road was well maintained, and it was paved for the first 36 miles. The dirt road was EASY until Quirare then it changed dramaically, but still not hairy scary. I am riding a 2003 DR650SE with Trax side cases and a top box. All full :(:.

In Batpolias I stayed in the Hotel Batopilas for 150 pesos, with no hot water. But Tina let me park the motorbike in the courtyard, I was tired, and it was worth it.

FWIW, take the road 10 miles so the Catedral Perdida. Bumpy road but the Catedral is a sight to behold in the middle of absolute NOWHERE. You can get the key to enter from the house *behind* the Catedral as you look at it. One of these days I'll get around to a RR here but until then you can see pics on my web page.

Someone here mentioned the Barranca de Sinforosa. I went there as well, and it was GORGEOUS! Entry is 10 pesos, and that entitles you to camp there for two nights. I did not camp, though I wanted to, because, well, I don't think a girl camping alone n Mexico is a smart thing to do. They have bathrooms and a pavilion where you can build a fire and sleep under it if rainy. There's a swinging bridge to walk over the canyon, and you can see all sorts of towers to climb for views all along the canyons. It's s-p-e-c-t-a-c-u-l-a-r. Enjoy!

PS_Currently $1 US = $13 Pesos. Yes, very confusing, they use $ for pesos.
  10. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    MotoAdvGal,

Glad to see you have made the crossing. Was wondering since last when it was going to happen. Thought you were still up in Dallas. Will check the blog.
  11. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could go on to El Paso and cross just west of there at Columbus New Mexico/Palomas MEX. Its a quiet and easy crossing. From there head on down through Nuevo Casas Grandes.
  12. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Since starting this I have found the same thing. We will be camping on the TAT but after that we will be getting a room.

13. ManitouMike

Oddometer:
    +1 this will be my next crossing point....
  14. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    El Paso is long way from NW Arkansas (of course most things are). I think we will stick with Presidio as our entry point.

This morning I have some hope that the Vstrom will sell as I have two bids on ebay but neither match the reserve. There are two days left on the current listing. I've got everything crossed including my eyes and I plan to sprinkle fairy dust around the Strom early this morning, that'l insure a sale right? Now all I need to do is conjure up a fairy somewhere.
  15. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    12/20/09

Been a while since I updated. I sold my Vstrom last Thursday! Yay! So, now the farkling begins. Today I ordered:

Clarke 4 gallon tank for the DZR - from TT
    Clarke 4 gallon tank for the XR - from TT
    Corbin seat w/mods for the DRZ - from Corbin
    Manual Cam Chain Tensioner for the DRZ - from TT
    Rugged Rider luggage rack for the DRZ - from RR
    Ebay luggage rack for the XR - from Ebay
    Wide pegs for both bikes - from Emoto Stuff
    Wolfman fender bag for the DRZ - from Wolfman
    Compact air compressor - from Emoto Parts

Now we can start building the bikes up for the trip.

Also, I now have the cash to get the Passport applications sent in. I will do this after the 1st of the year. Since I am not planning any trips that involve sailing or flying I am going to apply for the passport cards in lieu of the passport books.

So, as I receive parts I will post pictures of the progress. Can't wait.
  16. nicomama

nicomama Rugged Rider

Oddometer:
    Charlie,

You're right this is the exciting part. Farkling, planning, prepping, anticipating. That is all part of the beautiful journey. I cannot wait to see pics of this dynamic duo riding off into the sunset on their newly farkled bikes.

Thank you for purchasing the Rugged Rider rack. I wish you both the time of your lives.

My Best,
    Nicole
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  17. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Not really. The only options involve trekking south to Camargo or at least Delicias to go across to MEX-45 and back up to MEX-16.

Coming from Ojinaga you'll be on MEX-16 that turns into Boulevard Juan Pablo II, just follow it straight until it ends and follow the signs to Cuauhtemoc - you'll be riding a the old south bypass road which changes names a couple of times from Fuentes Mares to Nicolas Bravo and maybe something else in between :lol3, but just keep an eye on the Cuauhtemoc signs and you'll be fine. It makes a weird dogleg as it goes back to what is the main road out of Chihuahua (where Av. Zarco meets Periferico de La Juventud), which at that points turns into MEX-16 and takes you straight back to Cuauhtemoc.

Don't believe these "country folk", navigating the city of Chihuahua is as simple as it gets... :evil

Gustavo
  18. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gustavo, good information. I've just printed it out for addition to my map pouch. Happy Holidays
  19. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    12/22/09

Yesterday I washed my bike in preparation of doing a valve adjustment toward the end of the month. It's too cold to ride very far anyway so I've started tearing the bike down so I can do all the mods I want to do.

First on the list is to service the swing arm and add Zerk fittings so I can keep the axle greased. I did the XR when I first got it and have had zero problems since.

Next up will be a valve adjustment. I bought a shim kit for a very reaasonable price from my friend Travis. I need to run over to his place and get them today.

Travis owns MOSSY CREEK CYCLE AND ATV Travis is a stand up guy and will do anything to help you get your ride back and running at a decent price.

Once I have the valves taken care of it's on to an oil and filter change and then let the farkling begin.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I bought some ADV stickers for the DRZ too!
  20. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you guys are going to have a blast! My first bike was the 250L and I loved it and learned a lot on it. Followed my Dad around on that thing for a long time. Have a great trip:thumb