NW Arkansas to Copper Canyon, Mexico on 250's

Discussion in 'Americas' started by TRZ Charlie, Nov 3, 2009.

1. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    1/29/10

Yesterday I got my variable heat controller for my grips. I will rewire the bike after this freaking snow storm. Started snowing here last night the 28th, and it is still snowing at 10 pm on the 29th. Most snow I have seen since I was a kid.

Oh well, another day closer to Mexico.
  2. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now days in México gas stations are every corner, and particularly at the SIERRA ( Copper Canyon ), all the "Pueblos " have GASOLINA, not all with pumps, one peso more than at the PEMEX stations, so don´t worry about gas availability:rofl
  3. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Tury, thanks. Since you live in Chihuahua can you tell me if there are any "must see" places that you recommend?
  4. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure; there are several historic places at the city of Chihuahua, just to mention one : the house where the famous PANCHO VILLA lived, that is now a museum.
    When the time comes I offer to guide-ride some of the several places:clap
    Tury
  5. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Cool, that'd be great Tury. I look forward to it.
  6. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    2/5/10

Just another short update. The bikes are ready except for changing tires before the trip. We still await our passport cards but I have no worries regarding having them in time.

Snow here has forced my sons school to add days to the end of the school year to make up for classes lost, so I am not sure of our departure date yet.
    We were planning on leaving the last weekend in May but that may have to be delayed slightly now. My son is and always has been an "A" student so, I am not too hung up on pulling him out of school early for the trip. We will see.
  7. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    2/11/10

Nothing new to report. Winter is getting very long here. We need sunshine badly.

A question for Tury or someone with knowledge of Creel. Is there anyplace in Creel that I can leave a truck and trailer for an extended period of five to seven days and still have them together and intact on my return?
  8. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    2/12/10

Today we received our passports. We do have other considerations that we have to make. My son has an extended school year pending due to excessive snow days in our area. He may actually have to spend two more weeks in school. That isn't deal breaker by any means but it will be warmer or even hot if we have to wait that long.

Decisions made

Due to the uncertainty of my sons schedule we will forgo the TAT portion of our ride. Instead, we will trailer to Creel via Big Bend. We/I still want to spend three or four days getting some riding experience in. My youngest son definitely needs practice. Trailering also allows us to carry more food, water and tools.

We are faced with a tight budget (Ah, retirement..phftttt ). So, we have decided that we will try to camp 3 days and get a hotel room every fourth day depending on the weather. I understand that rooms in Mexico are cheaper so this may change. In any case we will purchase a tent or tents in preparation.

Purchase considerations yet to made

A tent for both of us or one for each of us - to be decided

Tank bags for both bikes

Tail bag for the DRZ

Spare SD cards for camera and my Delorme GPS

Spare tire and wheel for my trailer

Solar battery charger

Preparations to be finished

Plot a GPS course to Creel from NW Arkansas then a route from Creel to Guaymas.

Tires for my truck

Oil change for my Truck

Grease my trailer bearings

I am sure that there will be other incidentals along the path to departure but we are much closer than we were. I am starting to get excited.
  9. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Theres good camping in the Big Bend. I would forget about it in Mexico. As to your friend going through three tires, he must have crappy tires.
    Spend a few days in Big Bend for a good shakedown on bikes/equipment. You'll probably end up leaving some of that stuff in your truck. We stayed at a place in Creel that had plenty of space to leave a truck/trailer. I'll try to find the name of it.
  10. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Big Bend as a shake down is exactly what I am thinking. We can camp there and then move on.

After we move into Mexico I am sure that we will need to pare down what we carry.

I would greatly appreciate having a secure place for my truck and trailer.
  11. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to the National Park Service site and look up Big Bend. There is a publication you can get called "Road Guide to backcountry dirt roads of Big Bend National Park". It costs $2.00 and is very worthwhile.

I found the name of the hotel in Creel. It is Pueblo Viejo

Giving your trip some more thought; have you determined how you're going to import four vehicles into Mexico (truck, trailer,two bikes) ?
  12. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    No, I haven't. I have read that it will be a huge pain in the ass and haven't yet tackled the problem or whether its worth it. Oh and thanks fot the info on the hotel.
  13. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you don't solve the import issue, go to Big Bend and ride. Its a great area with good riding.
  14. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Since your last post I have been pouring through importation rules. What I have found to date is that I have to pay importation bonds on each vehicle. The truck will be $400, trailer $400, the DRZ $400 and the XR250L $300. They all require posting with a valid credit card of which I have none.

So, I will have to line both my son and myself up with credit cards if only temporarily. The bonds are redeemed once you leave the country and reenter the US.

So, it seems I have more to add onto my "to do list".
  15. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think the cards are actually charged unless you fail to turn in the permits when exiting the country.
  16. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    For some reason I thought y'all were riding the bikes to the border and beyond. I must have missed something in the thread.
  17. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Due to time constraints we've decided to trail to Creel. My son has had a couple of weeks of school tacked on because of snow days here. Hence we have three weeks instead of a month for our trip. Depending on his riding prowess at the time of departure we may ride in from Presidio. But for now, we are relegated to trail to Creel.
  18. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    2/25/10

Nothing much new to report. We are just marking time until departure at this moment. There is some hesitance on my Son's part in going to Mexico. He was supposed to take a HS trip there next month and they cancelled it due to the current climate regarding drug cartels.

I think this scared him? Strange how things have a way of becoming disproportionate. I still plan to go but I do watch the US State Departments travel advisories on a dail basis. So far, Jaurez is the only state they are advising extreme caution in.

We will continue to make daily checks to their website.

As for bike preparations, the Dizzer is done except for a tank bag and tire change. The XR is done except for the same.

That's it for now.
  19. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    Juarez is easy to avoid too. We've crossed a few miles west of El Paso at Santa Teresa, much nicer and less crowded - pretty much out in open country.

Once you're out of the border region it's easy to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet of a beautiful country and it's generous people. I hope your son is able to enjoy the trip and not get swept into the perception that it's dangerous to travel there.

We're going down to Copper in a couple of weeks, then ferrying to Baja from Topolobampo to La Paz and coming out via Baja.
  20. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Taking a ferry from La Paz was a consideration of mine too. Do you have any idea how much it costs?