NW Arkansas to Copper Canyon, Mexico on 250's

Discussion in 'Americas' started by TRZ Charlie, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Gary Paul

Gary Paul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings from across the state, Charlie. I'll be following your thread closely; I'd like to try Copper Canyon next year. BTW, what is the S.L.A.P. event about?
  2. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    S.L.A.P. is more or less a dirt fest and stands for "Squeal Like A Pig" (There will be banjo music). We meet at White Rock Mountain in Cass, Arkansas. The riding is superb, miles and miles of extremely scenic gravel roads and countless miles of trail riding. It's an overnight on the mountain. Great fun, fun people and chili! Join us if you can. There is a bunkhouse that still has berths available and a large camping area. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
  3. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    http://www.bajaferries.com/index_ing.html

You have to dig thru there a bit for information. (customize your budge link)
    An adult, Topolobampo to La Paz with a cabin class stateroom and taking a motorcycle, is $2665 pesos ($207 USD). Cabin accomodates four, has private bath.
  4. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Charlie. Looks like a good planning thread you've got going. I've learned a lot just reading up til now. Just learned that I need to sign my brother's motorcycle back over in his name:wink:

CC was my first trip to the lands to the South and the warnings were all the same and all the guys that where going in a group I was going to follow all backed out. I wasn't about too since I had my time off arranged and I had the time of my life. The people are great, even better if you know some Spanish, practice and learn some now if you can, pays dividends. BTW I spoke none and made it with just a calculator:lol3

Cheers to you for getting to take your son along with you, lucky man. I'm trying to get my brother talked into going down over Spring Break, next best thing to taking my dad for me:deal

I did a rr report and kept decent log of stuff here that might be of help:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313848&highlight=mute+trusty+mule

Tury will have lots of information and is a great resource of information for the CC area as well as the 3 Amigo down in Creel if you stop into their store on mainstreet.

Camping is one of the easiest ways to save money down there, it all adds up. Just hide out and sleep for free.

Goodluck with your trip and have a blast.
  5. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    My son is fairly inexperienced but a great rider none the less. But he has requested (due to his inexperience) that we trail to Creel. I am not sure I want to do that but, if we do I will have to deal with the ferry cost of truck trailer and bikes.....wow, expensive so this is looking like less of an option. I really wanted to come back by way of Baja. Thanks for that link. It was very helpful.

6. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Well we are one week from departure now. My wife is freaking out over whether we should go into Mexico or not. I am somewhat apprehensive about the whole situation too but will weigh the risk by this weekend. Failing Mexico, we are headed to Big Bend State and National Parks then heading west to follow our noses and see where they lead.
  7. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost every week end that is because i take a short ride to several roads on the way to Creel) I know that riders from your country keep coming ,riding up-to LA SIERRA ( Copper Canyon), and I haven,t heard, know to have them no harm from the "Bandidos", so :clap and have a good time:freaky
  8. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was in Big Bend last month riding. We had a very good time. However, it is getting up around 100 degrees now at the lower elevations. In the eighties in the higher elevations.
  9. Gary Paul

Gary Paul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been checking in every week or two, and not finding any updates. I was logging into tonight to send you a message to find out if you were still going. I'm looking forward to the report when you get back!
  10. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    We are planning to cross the border at this point. We will do Big Bend as a warm up. Then cross the border on the 28th. I will be posting in the ride report section when we return or possibly along the way dependent on internet access.
  11. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You won't have any problems in Mexico other than trying to decide to move down there and stay for the rest of your life.
  12. LeeU

LeeU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Charlie,

acejones is right about the credit card. You only get charged if you don't bring your vehicles out of Mexico. They stamp your card in their machine, give you a receipt-- but don't bill the card.
    Very important to clear your vehicle out of Mexico when you return, the sticker they give you for each vehicle is good for 6 months. They place on the windshield and remove the sticker when you return. You can cross back into the US at another border crossing, but the sticker haas to be returned to clear your paper work.

I've done Copper Canyon twice and many other Mexico travels via motorcycle. Just insure you have liability insurance, they will confiscate your bikes if you have an accident with no insurance.

Lee Ullmann:jose
  13. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you don't have a windshield or don't want to put the sticker on it, just put it in your tankbag or your jacket pocket in case anyone wants to see it (unlikely). Whatever you do, just don't lose it.
  14. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Good advice everyone. I leave for the ADV SLAP rally in the morning. I return home on Sunday and then we are off.
  15. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    The above is is what I understood when I crossed the border in October of 2008. I failed to cancel the permit when I exited Mexico. Later, I called and got through to border aduanas rep who stated that they have the right to charge the card, but she said they never do--mine has not been charged. It's now been a full year since my permit expired and finally, this summer I'll make it back to the border with my expired permit and hopefully I can get that taken care of. Same aduanas person assured me that this would be no big deal as long as I had the paperwork and returned on the same bike. We shall see. Moral of story: don't forget to take care of it, particularly if you live a good 1300 miles from border like I do!
  16. LeeU

LeeU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Used to be-- before computers- it was no big deal to not clear your vehicle out of Mexico. Now it is a big deal. Had a buddy of mine who forgot to clear his motorcycle spend about an hour trying to get new papers on his bike. What got him in was he had the same bike.
    Their big deal is to prevent you selling your vehicle (bike) in Mexico.:jose