Nwgs Jeep'n Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by nwgs, May 20, 2007.

1. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Towed behind a Sprinter? How did that go? Up hills? Down hills? Do you have brakes hooked up on the jeep for towing?

Edit: I noticed it was TX to KS, so ignore the hills question.
    Daniii likes this.
  2. Daniii

Daniii geezer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 2.1L Diesel does real good, but you are correct, no hills to speak of. I have towed it to Florida and the Hill Country W of San Antonio. I would hesitate taking it Colorado, though. :lol3 I wasn't happy with the RV alone on the downhill to Lake City last year. I'm sure the brakes were overheated.

I have a BluOx Patriot brake thingy in the Jeep. The remote is flaky, but otherwise it works good. I have a BluOx tow bar as well. Had the Jeep modded by guys who know their stuff. The attachment is both bolted to the frame and secured with cables. They also wired the Jeep tail lights wit the requisite diodes to assure no electrical conflicts.

I leave lots of stopping distance ahead. It is definitely a two handed drive with the Jeep back there, especially in cross winds. Averaged 15mpg towing the Jeep, vs 20 without. With a tail wind I got about 15.5, with a head wind, 14 or so. After a couple of hours, I almost forget it is back there.
  3. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    yeah.... he just posts whatever pretty much whenever

:dunno
  4. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My JKU heads back to the shop for the 4th or 5th time (lost count) to fix the leaks. Still a warranty issue or I would pay someone to fix it. If I didn't love this thing so much I'd be getting a Tacoma tomorrow.
    Barry likes this.
  5. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    Lost count....? what's leaking?!

If I was buying brand new, I would be a 4Runner - possibly a Taco. Love those things.

After 25 years or so, my CJ-7 is finally leak free!

:rilla

The rear end occasionally leaks a drop or two but I dont count that just based on how much progress I've made

:lol3
  6. soyanarchisto

Oddometer:
    Its leaked around the doors since I bought it new in 2016. I know not all of them do it, I think the person they contract with to fix leaks is incompetent. Obviously.
  7. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I seem to remember this discussion from before.

It's fascinating to me that in 2020 we can drive an RC car around on Mars, booster rockets auto land themselves at the launching pad, I can open my front door from anywhere in the world on my phone but Jeep can't build a door that doesnt leak.

even more fascinating is that they cant figure it out... ohhh Jeeps. I love mine too much too and sadly, partially because it's kind of rolling mess of problems
    Gillus likes this.
  8. OConnor

OConnor Bad juju

Oddometer:
    Ah, glad I resisted trading my new Tacoma for a new Jeep and looking at adding an old Jeep in stead.
  9. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    It took me four tries to fix the leaks in my 2014 JKUR. It was coming in the bottom of the doors and filling up the foot wells. This vid really pointed out the problems.

Then this video really explains the seal issues by showing the JK vs JL.

My fix was to install a 1/4" bulb seal on the body side of the door made from EPDM. Final cost was about $5.

Just the last fix in the usual Jeep (litany) list. Bad ball joints, axles out of alignment due to a 3" lift, minimum TPI at 37 psi causing massive wandering, and finally my radiator plastic caps are leaking. All at 40k miles. What's left? Oil cooler leaks?
  10. Daniii

Oddometer:
    Oddly, my '03 TJ, with half doors and canvass top and sides,, never leaks anywhere.
  11. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    We fixed ours.
    Dropped it off a few months before the lease was up and told them I didn't want to hear a word from them. Ever.
    Now its someone else's problem. My 4Runner doesn't leak a bit.
    Gillus likes this.
  12. SKT

SKT Long timer

Oddometer:
    E28C8420-1831-43FB-8A04-CB8B8F699FAF.jpeg CD73AA46-4545-41EE-8188-9CCA49A91C9C.jpeg 66DBA0AE-F37A-4552-856D-8EA8339340C2.jpeg F64E29E1-56D3-429F-B2F8-A8161B995010.jpeg
  13. AppFan

AppFan Long timer

Oddometer:
    If they ever went back to removable tops I’d be all over a 4Runner. We had one of the first year they were out back in the day. Sold it at 200k trouble free miles (well, did replace one water pump and one clutch slave cylinder). I miss that one more than my old TJ or JKUR.
    We had a new 4Runner as a rental this past summer and it’s definitely due for a refresh.
    SKT likes this.
  14. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Hmmm want to reply to thread about how our 16' never leaks but then I remember that thread on the Jeep Forum where people were complaining about the OEM batteries giving up until ghost early (on 15-17's)..... And not a month after posting there I had to install a new Optima.

Uhhh, ok, never mind, I won't say anything.

I'll just post a pic.

FB_IMG_1569323955299.jpg
    zookster and XT Traveler like this.
  15. soyanarchisto

Oddometer:
    Mine leaks from the tops of the doors. Always have. I could probably fix it myself but I bought the motherfucker brand new and a brand new car should not fucking leak. Period. If they can’t fix it then I’m in my way to Tacoma ownership.
    WVhillbilly and Barry like this.
  16. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I don't disagree and would probably tilt at the windmill quite a bit too.

But I wouldn't let it drive me to something I wanted less. I would probably push corporate harder to either replace it or find me a dealer who was competent to fix it.
  17. Daniii

Oddometer:
    My son has two new Jeeps, I have an '03. None leak. Maybe it's you guys? :hide
  18. eatpasta

Oddometer:

:amazon
    Daniii likes this.
  19. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    Dont you know the nobody loves their Jeep because it's ultra-reliable??

Just look at British Sportcars - people love the crap out of those and it aint because they start every time

:dunno
  20. SKT

SKT Long timer

Oddometer:
    2C0ED37D-8313-46F1-95F4-B19F285516CB.jpeg