1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Nwgs Jeep'n Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by nwgs, May 20, 2007.

1. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    @Karlfitt - just wow....

:clap

[​IMG]

ive GOT to make it out to Colorado more often

:raabia
  2. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice, really nice pictures. Thanks for taking the time to photograph. Great memories. I've been over all those passes on 2 wheels and 4. Broke my ankle on Black Bear on a DRZ400. Had to go back the next year in the Jeep to complete the loop around Imogene. Failed Imogene several times on 2 wheels due to snow. Trusty Wrangler took me and wifie over.
  3. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I took some with my big camera too, haven't had time to process them yet.

I was wondering if Black Bear would look different from the back of my bike.
    Sitting up high in the Jeep there were a couple of sections I'm not sure I want to do on a bike.
    But like I said, they may look different from the saddle.
    poppawheelie likes this.
  4. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    oh yeah, post some more pics up for sure.

On most of those trails, personally, im more comfortable on a bike as I feel like i have much better understanding for whats going on.
  5. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    I’m in the 40’s with a ‘74 CJ5.

Cheated a bit though. Original owner lived in the land of salt. Body rotted off but the frame was fine still. I think it was done by 1980. I got it from the original owner in the ‘90’s and put a new body on it. Just never drive it much. Fires right up and runs like a top with Howell TBI kit and DUI.
    Daniii likes this.
  6. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I guess I should clarify that is 4 years at what passes as my "daily driver" and family wagon.
  7. Daniii

Daniii geezer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found mine at an aftermarket Jeep Place, and the owner knew this guy. Described as a bit OCD, he was getting too old to justify owning it. It had 26,000 on a few years ago when he sold it to me. It's pristine. It wasn't cheap, but he had done what I would have, and he did it better.
    poppawheelie likes this.
  8. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    I had a dream that this thread had been moved to CSM. I was happy. Then I woke up.
  9. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    So you celebrate having a Jeep by lighting a fire inside a representation of it? :lol3
  11. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    For $450
  12. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    So cool. :thumb
  13. farmerstu

farmerstu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bad advice. Do not gap new plugs.just eyeball them to be sure they haven't been dropped. Never use anything on the threads .and if you pull them just put in new ones.
  14. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never use anti-seize on spark plug threads? Why’s that?
  15. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Well "never" is not right, but a change occurred over the last decade or two where many manufacturers added an anti corrosion coating to their plugs (like NGK, if it's shiny). And adding an antiseize risks over-torque and breakage.
    poppawheelie and UtahGuido like this.
  16. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of cases where the 100,000 mile spark plugs won't come out at that time. So, I'm going to put moly-grease on them, just like all the plugs I put into aluminum heads.
  17. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could see that. Busting a spark plug would be a bit of a bummer, and not everyone is going to consult the torque specs for plugs and adjust accordingly for lubed threads.
  18. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, it gets driven a lot. CEL came on while she was driving it this evening so hopefully tomorrow I can pull a code.
  19. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW I always put a dab of antiseize on plugs and it's never caused any problems, but I'll be sure to not crank down on them too hard.
  20. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    When I was training in the industry it was common place to put antiseize on plug threads. I know I did for decades and habits can be hard to break.

And yeah when extended life plugs first arrived in the scene they weren't coated with compounds to prevent corrosion and seizure so many did get stuck.

But times change and it's good to change with them.

Though I agree it's not likely to cause a problem if you're mindful of the torque. Though I have seen a few plugs back out over time likely due to the coating and torque.

https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resources/5-things-you-should-know-about-spark-plugs

"1.Anti-seize

NGK spark plugs feature what is known as trivalent plating. This silver- or chrome-colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without the use of anti-seize. NGK tech support has received a number of tech calls from installers who have over-tightened spark plugs because of the use of anti-seize. Anti-seize compound can act as a lubricant altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage."