1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Nwgs Jeep'n Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by nwgs, May 20, 2007.

1. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I just learned this new German word mashup.

It's obvious that schadenfreude is not an English word—it's German, and it's made up of the words Schaden, which means “harm” or “damage,” and Freude, which means “joy.” By definition, schadenfreude means finding joy in someone else's misfortune.
    DyrWolf likes this.
  2. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    No pics but i had rental 2020 Wrangler Saraha Unlimited this week. Picked it up with 650 miles on it, added another 500 or so. It had the 2.0 turbo motor, 8 speed auto. Ive owned 2 JKs, 1 3.8, other with teh 3.6, both manuals. Gotta say, the little turbo motor was nice! Very good torque in the midrange, felt stronger to me in that range than the pentastar does. I managed 18-19mpg driving the piss out of it. The new interior is nice, makes me want to go look for a new 2dr rubicon...
  3. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Yeah. The wife and kids are the bad drivers. :lol3

I feel you pain.
    Matt_Mc and engineman like this.
  4. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    We've run both.
    The AT's are ok, in deep snow the MTs rock.
    They also hit you for about 1mpg or more and more vocal than the ATs.
    jconli1 likes this.
  5. SKT

SKT Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. SilentRay

SilentRay Hold my beer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine (owned several Wranglers in the past ) and his wife just got back from a vacation out west . They rented a 2019 Sahara for the week . 12k mile vehicle with stock suspension and it had the dreaded death wobble !
    I thought it only happened to high mileage / lifted jeeps . Obviously not .
  7. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    12k miles on a rental can be like 120k miles on a single owner vehicle. No way to tell if it was babied or abused but the latter is probably more likely.
  8. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    A few years ago I had a 2004 Monte Carlo that I bought to flip. With 100k on the clock, it was basically trash. It needed everything, wouldnt pass smog and made horrible noises going down the road.

That same year I bought a 2004 Toyota Highlander with 190k on it. It's now at 210k and its our family daily driver. It's needed a little love in the form of a CV joint and a starter but has been a fantastic vehicle.

Its amazing to me how different vehicles can be from different manufacturers.
    SilentRay likes this.
  9. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Not for nothing, but there are a WHOLE lot more possible variables to explain your anecdote.

And correlation is not causation.
    Carlo Muro likes this.
  10. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    Fair points, Kev.

Happy Friday

:drink
    Kevm likes this.
  11. SilentRay

SilentRay Hold my beer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 01 TJ I had back a few years ago never had the wobble even tho it had a slight lift and 33's . Miss that thing .
  12. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    This morning with momma on a 24 hour shift and the kiddos staring out the window at the pouring rain I knew there was only one answer... WHARTON MUD PUDDLES!!! We didn't know we'd get so lucky that the sun would even come out. Then it was railroad spike hunting, floating sticks in streams, exploring ruins, and, of course, puddle jumping! Not half bad. (K) IMG_20200125_144840_MP.jpg IMG_20200125_144846_MP.jpg IMG_20200125_151821.jpg IMG_20200125_142326_MP.jpg
    DyrWolf, zookster, UtahGuido and 3 others like this.
  13. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Got in a little Jeep time on a "stock Jeep" ride put together by Waypoint X yesterday at Stony Lonesome OHV Park in Bremen, AL. Trails were slickery-snotty after all the rain we have had recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Beemer Bob

Beemer Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am on my 3rd Jeep. Had a 1998 TJ 4 cyl 5 speed, and I have my 2009 JK for sale. Bought a 2017 JK Sahara........
    DyrWolf likes this.
  15. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    A good buddy and fellow adv’er came up from Pasadena on Saturday and we knocked knocked it out on Sunday. Only real hiccup that we ran into was getting the exhaust off.
    The only way I could get to those bolt was with my 1/4” and a long socket but we got the entire job done in 5 or 6 hours.
    Like anything else I’m confident that we could in half the time now - and we will have to in a few years as the cast exhaust manifold is slowly rotting away so I’ll add a header next time.

Every time I do one of these jobs, I’m always blown away at ultimately how easy these things are

IMG_0657.jpg

@WVhillbilly - thanks for the gasket recommendation. It went on like butta.....and I got it on blowout from Rockauto for $4 when I ordered new struts for my Highlander

:thumb
  16. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    You can see how gone the exhaust gasket was.... and that a few other cylinders were close to going too.

At least four of the bolts were finger tight....

IMG_0647.jpg
  17. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    Another weird thing is that all the engine parts say 1982, but it’s a 1983 model....

:dunno

IMG_0642.jpg
  18. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Not weird at all. The auto industry has long used a build cycle where model years and calendar years do not perfectly align. So even IF a model is sold as a 1983 (in 1983) there's no saying it wasn't built in late 1982 AS an 83 model. Similarly there's no reason parts that are common from one year to another might not have been produced en mass in a previous year.
    Jeffy, poppawheelie and eatpasta like this.
  19. Matt_Mc

Matt_Mc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, they don't wait till January 1st to start building vehicles for that year so.

20. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    poppawheelie likes this.