nwgs sanctions an "Official Train Thread"

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by nwgs, Oct 30, 2007.

1. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    When you see one in real life...it boggles my mind!
    BillsR100 likes this.
  2. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My niece's kids on a Christmas train trip 2015. That is #734 (formerly Lake Superior/Ipsheming RR #34) a Baldwin 2-8-0 steam locomotive on her last trip as a Christmas locomotive. She's indefinitely retired at this point.

DSC_1404_088tag5.JPG
    no, DC950, GSPeP and 3 others like this.
  3. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've posted this before but......#734 on the Frostburg MD turntable.

DSC_1432_087tag5.JPG
    MYUMPH, DC950, GSPeP and 3 others like this.
  4. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today on RFD channel, trains and locos, they showed P-something .Paduka..And there were 200+ locos lined up waiting for the torch......Geez it makes me sad, but I understand, they did keep a couple for museums.....:pope..........................
  5. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Locomotives get cut all the time and there will hundreds cut over the next couple of years, as precision scheduled railroading comes to pass. The class ones are or will be dumping high horsepower 6 axle units like crazy.
    verdelac likes this.
  6. verdelac

verdelac Rust never sleeps

Oddometer:
    Power fest on the short lines. W&LE has a bunch of SD40's and a few Sd45's too. Its great to watch and listen too.
  7. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    I worked for Union Pacific from 1980 to 1985, quite fun building several trains on a weekend shift...
    Whenever APL ships showed up in Seattle.....Pretty good work for a youngster....
    Hey I thought 30 was young back then, now I'm thinking 65 is young!....:clap................
    2whl-hoop and DC950 like this.
  8. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
    1980-85. It was probably a lot of fun then! I started out doing track work in 1990 and went into train service in ‘93. The fun level dropped off significantly in the last 10 -15 years. It really plummeted the last five or so on this rr...
    Shady Pass David likes this.
  9. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    The whole world changed, dang-it!.....I wish digital cameras were around back then...
    When I went into the concrete driver mode I had those disposable cameras and took quite a few of Seattle growing and tearing down cool buildings...
    I was born in Seattle and I have pics I took with my parents cameras, don't think they knew about it, when I was in 1st grade . A few double exposures, what did I know?..They did when the photos came back from the Bellevue drug stores.......:rofl.......................
    DC950 likes this.
  10. kwthom

Oddometer:
    WYO George and FMFDOC like this.
  11. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    No pics but I saw half a dozen UP livery passenger cars headed east through Lexington Nebraska this morning. Wondered if Warren Buffet was on an excursion.
  12. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    Headed back to iowa to the barn
    kwthom and Tmaximusv like this.
  13. kwthom

Oddometer:
    The set used for the 4014/844 exposure in Utah.
    Tmaximusv likes this.
  14. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    Milwaukee terminal and power house in Cle Elum Washington....
    Nice little walking tour...

Attached Files:

15. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. 2whl-hoop

Oddometer:
    That is a lot more common than most people realize. Usually it is not reported as a suicide in the news, probably out of respect for the family. It just happened Saturday in the west Twin Cities area. A 15yo jumped in front of a freight train.

It can be very traumatic for the crew involved because they often can see it coming but can do nothing to prevent it. I know of one crew that never returned to work after a particularly bad suicide, probably 15 years or so ago.
    sdbruns, jgreer and phillyrube like this.
  17. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    Closest I had was a suicide by 3rd rail when I was on Philly Fire. Girl dressed up real nice, left a note, went down on the tracks at Broad/Snyder, and kissed the 3rd rail. I still see and smell it.
  18. 2whl-hoop

Oddometer:
    It really is selfish and can have a lasting impact on the people who have to deal with the act or the aftermath. I've been fortunate enough to never have had to experience it, but I have coworkers who have had it happen to them multiple times.
    DC950 and jtb like this.
  19. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    I'm more of a traction fan. Is it a train? Is it a trolley? It's an interurban four-car train, one of only two ever built for running on the Chicago North Shore and Milwaukee Railroad between Chicago and Milwaukee. When that line closed, the two were acquired by Red Arrow Lines to run on the old Philadelphia & Western Railroad tracks between Norristown (my home town) and Philadelphia's 69th Street terminal. I used to ride it every weekday to school one summer in the '60s, and got a donut and coffee in the bar car. Here is one of them in Red Arrow Libertyliner tuscan red and white paint at the Rockhill Furnace Trolley Museum not far from me in central Pennsylvania. It awaits what will be a very expensive restoration. The other was returned to its home turf at a trolley museum in Illinois and restored to its original green and orange North Shore Electroliner colors. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroliner
    http://rockhilltrolley.org/liberty-liner-independence-hall/

IMG_1018.jpg
  20. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    My family and I went camping last week. While out we did the Royal Gorge Route train in Canon City. Sadly they weren't using the F7s. Pics to follow once they're downloaded.