nwgs sanctions an "Official Train Thread"

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by nwgs, Oct 30, 2007.

1. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    The museum at Polson Montana has lots of old steam powered machines including a small locomotive with the compressor on rails behind it , and most functional but they don’t light a fire in them , he has several old big air compressors that they run off of .
  2. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are they running the Big Boy and the other one (can't remember designation) on coal or oil?

Did they have to resurrect the "fireman" job description for these?
  3. no

no dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    4014, orginally coal-fired, was modified to run on #5 fuel oil. So I wouldn't think a fireman would be necessary.
    kwthom likes this.
  4. no

Oddometer:
    I did a little research and found that 844 and 3985 run on #5 fuel oil as well. 844, built in 1944, was never retired from the Union Pacific.
    barnyard and kwthom like this.
  5. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    True.

There was quite an elaborate conversion process that replaced firebox grates and added the oil burner to allow the use of fuel oil...readily available and quite cheap, compared to #2 diesel, for example.

Pretty damn cool to see it personally.
  6. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    There has to be a firman on board to operate the boiler , crank up the fire when they need more steam for a grade , add water as needed , he’s got a full time job even with automatic stockers . Plus when they make huge clouds of black smoke that’s the firman rolling coal , if he’s doing it right it doesn’t smoke . Fireman makes steam , engineer drives the locomotive .
    verdelac, Tmaximusv and no like this.
  7. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember being at the Jackson Street yards in St Paul reading about how a significant number of firemen had to be kept in after the conversion to electric. They were retrained to monitor electrical systems.
    verdelac likes this.
  8. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
    Here's a few from Askov, MN today. We should've gone straight to Bruno because they were running slightly late and they didn't make an unscheduled stop at Askov, as a local paper said they would. It turned into an eight mile line of cars getting to Bruno, and we got there just as it was departing. A little disappointing since I was hoping to see it up close. IMG_2714.JPG IMG_2716.JPG IMG_2718.JPG IMG_2720.JPG fullsizeoutput_2355.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2356.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2350.jpeg IMG_2726.JPG fullsizeoutput_234f.jpeg
    tjzondrz, GSPeP, Hay Ewe and 6 others like this.
  9. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never a good practice to be on the right of way, ballast or especially the rail. Always expect movement on the rail, from any direction, at any time. They aren't called the silent killer for nothing.

Sorry - being in the industry, Safety around the equipment and infrastructure has become second nature.
  10. 2whl-hoop

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was thinking it must be pretty nerve wracking for the engineer. People were standing right on the main until it was maybe a 1/4 mile away. They rolled through about 25-30mph. Figure the crew is enduring this all day, every day since the route and schedule are published online....
  11. no

Oddometer:
    It was irritating watching people standing on the track and crossing close to the head and rear of the train. Standing on the track is trespassing! A train could start moving without warning so it's dangerous to cross close to the train.

You may notice that I take a lot of pictures looking down the tracks, but I am always standing on a public crossing next to the warning bells and lights.
    jgreer likes this.
  12. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Last week, we sat at the Amtrak station in Glasgow, MT waiting for the Empire Builder. The station had chairs outside on the platform, so we sat and waited, while watching trains go by. Glasgow is a crew change point and the Building was 3 hours late, so we had a lot to see. We were very close to the action, without trespassing. Plus, the crew radio and speaker were close, so we had some warning when the next train was coming by. Even though the Builder was very late, it was a good day to sit and watch the trains.
  13. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Wife and I took a little ride today.
    IMG_20190813_105435291.jpg
    IMG_20190813_105654064_HDR.jpg IMG_20190813_132936693_HDR.jpg
    To the top of Bald Knob. Max grade was 12%, steepest grade anywhere for a non-cog train.
    tjzondrz, Mudflaps, GSPeP and 3 others like this.
  14. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took the grandson out yesterday to ride the Sunrail in Orlando, FL. Cruised from Winter Park to Kissimmee, cab end controls, then Kissimmee to Debary, engine in front. Coming back from Debary we sat up front next to the control cab. Door was open, so we could see the driver work. Engine is a MPI MP32PH-Q. On the southbound stretch it's a pusher. Pretty much figured out the controls: alarm ack on the floor, brake on the left, reverse in the center, throttle on the right. Left side has controls like the bell flashing ditch lights. Horn in the center of the desk.

Two large digital gauges, air pressure and speedo. Had a Wabtec screen that said GPS, but no map. Displayed digital speed. Part of the PTC?

When stopped, she locked the brakes, put reverse in neutral, idle low. Starting up, brakes off forward, throttle moved up between green and red. Coasting, pulls throttle back. Going to stop, applies brakes a bit, then moves throttle back up? Regenerative?

Crews were good, professional , trains clean, ran smoothly. Had a great time.

[​IMG]

Ok, so I had a tooth pulled and laid out with an icepack on my face. Started cruising youtube, and watched some stuff about plutonium production at Hanford, WA. They have a train buried there that is too radioactive to due anything else with. Saw some interesting power units.

[​IMG]

Noticed the large headlights, appears to have two white and one red bulbs. In one of the videos it appears its a Mars type light, oscillates left to right. Note the lack of horns. These units are still radioactive, hence the chains. The cars were all filled with grout. Pretty neat how they did stuff.
    GSPeP, BillsR100 and 2whl-hoop like this.
  15. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a question. Seen a few jobs down here for railroad van drivers. What's that like? I'm retired, just looking for something to do.
  16. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    On call 24/7 driving railroad crews to other sites to catch trains.
  17. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    There sure are a lot of them doing the job.

Now, train pron:
    upload_2019-8-24_13-4-19.jpeg

upload_2019-8-24_13-4-56.jpeg

upload_2019-8-24_13-5-38.jpeg

upload_2019-8-24_13-6-39.jpeg
    GSPeP, dtlight, no and 1 other person like this.
  18. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Have more than 5 teeth? If so, sorry, you're disqualified.
    phillyrube and 2whl-hoop like this.
  19. 2whl-hoop

Oddometer:
    And I think it pays pretty poorly too. If you’re retired and just looking for something to do, give it a try. If you’re not a horseshit driver, the crews will appreciate it, at least. If it’s not for you, you can always quit. Just be forewarned that the train crews are all chronic whiners and crybabies...:deal
    DakarNick likes this.
  20. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Used to advertise $8.50/hr on craigslist. I know 2 foamers (I might be a foamer, but those too are extra foamy) that do it. Pretty sure that both of them tried to get railroad jobs and could not pass the physical.