NWT, AB, BC two weeks at a time

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by squonker, Jun 13, 2018.

1. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:

Ok, so I was using a little poetic licence regarding your height. And I would agree that you don't look sketchy, however it greatly benefits my RR if I can blame things on you, if you don't mind :imaposer. Regarding talking to people, I just love meeting new folks so I'm quite happy to initiate a conversation.

Thanks for the Vulcan info :thumb
  2. squonker

Oddometer:
    Thanks Joe! I enjoy writing them, and comments like yours make it all worthwhile :beer
  3. squonker

Oddometer:
    Lillooet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    John Mellencamp's house? (Think about it...)

I can't believe that I ever agreed to meet for breakfast at 7, but for some reason I did and at the appointed hour was back at The Cookhouse to meet Rob. The same Cookhouse that we had had supper in the night before, that is. The Cookhouse that had told us they open for breakfast at 7. The one where we told the staff we'd see them in the morning and they replied that they looked forward to it. That Cookhouse.

It was closed.

A sign on the door said that due to a staff shortage they'd be closed today and tomorrow. Wtf? Well, Rob was on the opposite side of the street packing his bike so I let him know what was up and we rode down the street to find The Rugged Bean Cafe. I had eaten there the last time that I was in town, and hadn't been impressed. I even wrote about in a Ride Report, but there aren't many options in Lillooet and if I didn't get a cup of tea, or two, inside me soon it was all going to end in tears. But it was a great breakfast, the place was run by a wee Scottish lady who even had Yorkshire Gold teabags. I was sold. It turns out that she's only had the place for a couple of years and that would explain the difference between this visit and the last.

Highline Road time. This began with a +/- 50km backtrack on the same road that we'd ridden in on the afternoon before, but it's a freaking great road. At the damn you turn left and go through the tunnel...

...I should point out that some of the following photos are Rob's. When I know for sure that a pic is one of his I'll say so, but there may be a few that are overlooked hence my crediting him now. Thanks, Rob :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The road from the dam takes you alongside Carpenter Lake (the opposite side that we'd ridden the day before), then very quickly up and over a mountain. Steep gradients. Hairpin turns. Soiled underpants. Big, shit-eatin' grins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I think that pic is from the day before, actually

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now we're on the Highline

[​IMG]
    Rob's shot. I love this picture.

Oh, I see what happened. The rest of Rob's pics are from the Hurley and I didn't post them up. Later - let's get the Highline over with first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Highline was much narrower and rougher than I remembered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a little bit of a scary experience on the hill leading down to this bridge the last time I rode this road. You can read about it here https://advrider.com/f/threads/1-cylinder-13-000-kms.389825/

At the end of the road we stopped for gas and Gatorade in D'Arcy. I mentioned earlier how on the way into Lillooet I'd become dehydrated even though I'd been drinking plenty of water. Rod said that he used Gatorade and I asked him whether he noticed it being better than water, he said he hadn't really compared it but for the rest of the trip I drank Gatorade and never felt woozy again, so...:dutch

[​IMG]
    D'Arcy

As far as I can tell I took no more photos as we rode to Mt. Currie and took the Duffy Lake Road back into Lillooet. I have to say I had forgotten how goddam spectacular the Duffy is. Exceptional riding in scenery that would melt even the hardest heart. I have a feeling that it might be better to ride it the way we did now rather than in the opposite direction, but don't quote me on that. Just ride it - it has to be seen to be believed. It's only 100km or so, but I could've taken three days to ride it if I'd stopped to take all the photos/do all the exploring I wanted. Truly world class.

Lunchtime saw us back in Lillooet. And back at The Rugged Bean. We ended up yakking with three other bikers in there, a chap from California and a couple from Vancouver Island. There isn't much to report after that. Rob and I were headed to Lytton and beyond (he to Abbotsford and I to Tsawwassen), and we said our goodbyes where I was turning off onto the Fountain Valley Road, just because. Rob had a flight to catch and kept on the main road, whereas I could take any ferry so long as I was in Victoria that night. Thanks for the great time, Rob! :clap

I remember that it was 37c in Lytton, and for a new experience I took Hwy 7 through Agazziz stopping in Popkum for fuel and Timmies. The Tims had the second washroom in a row I'd been in that had no hook for a coat on the back of the door. What is wrong with people?! There were a couple of local guys there on 250s whom I asked about the road that cuts across from the East Harrison into North Bend. A few years ago I had tried to ride it (read about it, and why I had had to turn around, here https://advrider.com/f/threads/bc-coast-to-williams-lake-and-back-as-much-dirt-as-possible.988071/). What they told me suggested that I'd probably made the right call given that I was alone, but perhaps with my cousins next year.... I traded their info for mine about the Highline, which they were wanting to try.

I made the 8pm ferry. It was a beautiful evening for boat ride, but I was still bloody hot. The temperature was high, too (:lol3) so I stayed on the car deck in order to catch some breeze. I don't regret it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    rob1313, sages and Cal like this.
  4. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    I’m no longer married so it’s no longer all my fault! But if it helps your rr have at er’. :)
    squonker likes this.
  5. squonker

Oddometer:
    These photos I know were all taken by Rob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Rob!
    agplant, no, Nicknewb and 1 other person like this.
  6. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Ride report looks great!
    It was a good couple of days on two wheels. Thanks for showing me around
  7. squonker

Oddometer:

Likewise!
  8. squonker

Oddometer:
    I went up island the following day, just north of Campbell River to Gosling Lake which I discovered last year. One of my favourite camping spots. I wasn't alone and didn't take many notes, but I have a few photos. The camping spot is about 15km off the highway up a logging road and while it had been bright sunshine and blue skies all day, as soon as we were about half way up the gravel, the rain began. It only became harder, lasted until well into the night and was accompanied by lightening and thunder. I don't like camping in the rain. For that and other reasons I was not happy. And when we woke up the following morning - bright sunshine. And a giant slug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Garbage on the back of the bike, to be disposed of at the first appropriate opportunity.

We headed another +/-60km north to Sayward having packed up camp. I love that place, and last season on the ice road I made a new friend who lives there. We called in on Jon for a coffee but then had to head back to Victoria. Some pics from Sayward:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The day after that I did the Renfrew loop again, stopping in at Kenco in Sooke to talk 685 kits and KLRs. Kenco has some fierce guard rabbits that may look cute and fluffy, but they'll rip you to shreds as soon as look at you. This is the closest I dared get to them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ken caught me eyeing up a pair of RE Himalayans, and in no time at all his wife came over and said that one was hers, but the other was a demo bike and would I like to take it for a ride? Ummm, yes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that was about it for this time out. I was pretty sure that on my next set of days off I would be having to go back to the U.K. (now confirmed), so I put the bike a little further away than usual. I took it back to Chris's place and although he wasn't there part of his menangerie was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As the crow flies Chris's place is probably only about 600m from the airport, but you should have seen the stink they raised when I hopped the fence and sauntered across the runway. Geez. My duffel bag is bright yellow for heavens sake, any pilot worth his or her salt would see it from a mile off! Instead I had to walk the 3km or so around the perimeter. Can you imagine?!

I'll be back to ride some more in the middle of September. Thanks for following along :D

[​IMG]
    Cal likes this.
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love to hear the results of the Himalayan ride
  10. squonker

Oddometer:
    I don't really feel that I'm qualified to answer. I had never ridden a bike similar before, and I only took it out for 15, maybe 20 minutes. I wasn't particularly impressed with it, but I wasn't unimpressed either. That's all I've got.
    Cal likes this.