NX250 Thread -- official ADV owners manual

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by valvecrusher, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Goofy Footer

Goofy Footer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ArthDuro, I promise that when its done you'll get a good ride report. My friend who is helping me on the project, tntmo, has a stock NX with 1" spacers in the forks. I'll ride them back and forth and report the findings. I've taken some video form the project so far. From compressing the forks in the garage, the CR85 with CRF150R springs are much stiffer. The dampening is what really strikes me as being better. I had my suspension guy increase the oil weight and volume. Once I'm out riding I'll adjust the clickers accordingly.
  2. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    That would be most appreciated. Thanks for sharing all of this and it is very cool to see all the thought and hard work you are putting into it.

3. muzcuk

muzcuk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I would like to replace the left control switch with something smaller (I have a narrow handlebar from a yz85, I like it) but I
    how would I operate the choke?

Has anyone replaced/modified the choke lever to be separate from the switches? I see lots of potentially usable parts (standalone choke switches) on ebay, but I have no idea if any of them would work.

Any input is appreciated.

By the way, I have been basically leeching on the thread for a loong time now so some introduction is due.

Mine is the ugliest NX in existence, I bought it for about 1000$ (dead cheap by Turkish standards) with bent forks, no plastic, no exhaust etc. It even has an impossible-to-explain dent in the chasis right under the tank. The previous owner has put the cheapest paint on it and it has rusty spots all over.

Everything else is broken but the engine has been beating with absolute certainty for 6 months now. I have been riding it to school everyday regardless of the weather. I had to order a set of dunlop k460s from UK as they are not even listed in Turkey (man that was expensive at ~300$).

I have been working on it ever since but I don't have a garage, and it took me a lot of time (being broke and all) to acquire proper tools.

Cam chain is the most urgent item on my list at the moment, if my new tensioner arrives I will replace the whole thing this weekend. I know I'll have to fabricate a locknut key and clutch holder so I wanted to be prepared for this (I even bouht a dremel for the job :) ). I was wondering if I also need a 24mm socket to remove the clutch? I have a wrench but no socket, is that a problem? I will also measure the valve clearances, but I don't have a caliper to measure the shims, do they have numbers on them or should I find a caliper before I take the whole thing apart?

I love this bike beyond reason. I was riding a KLE before this and even though it is a nice bike, I never felt this kind of connection with it so know this one is special. It was so messed up when I bought it, the only way for it to go for it was up. At some point I will make the perfect bike out of it and then I want to travel from Turkey to China (through Russia, Mongolia) on this guy. I will do it with minimal equipment, alpine style; rebuilding a nx for the purpose seems appropriate.

Despite running fine, my bike is a sad sight at the moment as I only had the resources to work on the essentials, but summer hopefully will bring a proper paintjob and acerbis plastics, then I will have pictures for you.

Many thanks for the huge amount of information you have provided, enabling me to pursue this project. I really appreciate it. I hope to be able to give back at some point.

Cheers.

Murat
  4. muzcuk

muzcuk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, I have some trivia on NX, might as well throw it in.

Did you know that all the NX s in Turkey (about 300, or so I heard) were initially bought by the government for the forest rangers?

After some years, they decided that rangers needed pickups, so they sold all the bikes out, so all the NXs (that I could track down) are specified as 1995 models on papers. Before that they had no papers (government issue) and when they were privatized they did not declare proper years.

No surprise that Honda dealers know nearly nothing about these bikes, and no spares are stocked. So I end up ordering everything from UK (wemoto.com stocks everything and deduces tax if you order from outside UK).

I hereby contribute to the thread. :D
  5. BZHGirl

BZHGirl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree and that's a great job. Thanks for sharing. I specialy like the front light, it looks fine.
  6. PTC

PTC Turd polisher

Oddometer:
    i appreciate all the work you do.
    this site sold me on the nx250. i actually discovered it google searching. i thought the bike was a little girly but i was sold after reading into this site.and after riding one, sickest 250 four ive ever ridden! love it.
    nice weather here in new england! cant ride though. tweaked my back, its very frustrating watching all the bikes out there today and yearning to wind that 250 out after a long cold season. pissed:cry
  7. apex

apex /////

Oddometer:
    word.. is it worth a thousand photos? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7603828
  8. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:
    The rules to abide by have been previously provided to both.
    Provide no comment or further discussion.
    [​IMG]
    ...is a picture that speaks 1000 words.:lol3
    Any further personal discussion will be handled privately, ignored, or reported.
  9. RollingJ

RollingJ The mud in your eye

Oddometer:
    All the pieces are falling together...
  10. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:
    Icheillen and IvanRR...you've made the front page, sirs..
    Africa ten miles into the background?
    Very good.

The other photo is from link
  11. thedutchrockstar

thedutchrockstar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I got a problem,

I have a rattel or a tick in the engine.
    It's most noticable when dropping the throttle down to idle.
    It's most quiet on idle but still a little noticable.
    It's loudest around 3500revs.
    I don't really know how to explain it, but it does worry me!
    It sounds as if it is coming from the cylinder.

Any ideas?
  12. muzcuk

muzcuk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Listen closer, if its coming from the right side it is most likely the cam chain. Even if you can't locate it it is likely to be the cam chain.

I've spent so much time worrying about a similar noise thinking about bearings etc. but it tuns out it was the cam chain :). I now understand that these bikes are indestructible except for that part.

Replace it along with the tensioner. The cam chain tensioner on this machine is spring loaded with no ratchet mechanism which means that it can loosen up over time.
  13. thedutchrockstar

Oddometer:
    Thanks a billion times.
    Now the big question, where can I buy both these items beeing in the Netherlands?
  14. muzcuk

muzcuk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I order everything from wemoto.com, it ships from UK, takes a few days to Turkey, I'm sure Netherlands is not a problem. It takes a few extra days for he OEM parts if they don't have them in stock.

You can get the OEM part numbers from

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fich...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1990&fveh=3591

and search for OEM parts in the wemoto page. In addition to the chain and tensioner, you also need the tensioner gasket, clutch cover gasket, a clutch holder and a locknut tool to remove the clutch (to replace the cam chain you need to remove it)

There is a howto on clutch removal here, apparently you can fabricate the clutch holder and the locknut key easily if you have a dremel tool or an angle grinder.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9025648&postcount=1335

It took me a while to figure these out, I'll be doing it this weekend, I can try to shoot some pictures for you but I've never done it before.

While you are at it, you might as well check the valve clearances. I know I will.
  15. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another thing you guys may be interested in is how to get the exhaust/manifold rust-free. Since I was using my Nixie as a winter bike, the manifold rusted through just at the connection to the cylinder head. Every 2 or 3 winters I had to replace the manifold due to the aggressive de-icing salts used around here.

[​IMG]

I then heard from XT owners that there is a fairly inexpensive way to get the exhaust rust-free by flame spraying with aluminum (aluminisation). The coated surface is white and slightly rough like fine grinding and has to be painted over with the usual exhaust paint.
    After three more winters I´m absolutely positive about aluminisation. There is still no rust, not even at the parts where the paint is gone or at the connection to the cylinder, where temperatures are highest.
    Prices? Three years ago I paid 30 $, including corundum blasting and shipping at this company

http://www.metallspritztechnik.de/index.php?loc=auspuff&u=metallspritztechnik.de&lang=en

[​IMG]
  16. plibnik

plibnik n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everybody!

I'm preparing my AX-1 for a first long journey (few thousands km). What spare parts would you recommend to take with? I'm thinking about CDI, but if it did cause no problems beforehand, is it really necessary to buy it in advance, or can failing CDI be soldered to last a week-two longer? If it does fail.

Of course, obvious things like lightbulbs, clutch cable, spark plug and tyre repair kits are included. :)

It's my first long journey, and it's going through EU territory mostly... mostly on-road...

Thanks in advance everyone!
  17. PTC

PTC Turd polisher

Oddometer:
    a length of wire and some connectors, a spare master link with a few links attatched is cheap insurance. the cdi can be repaired if its just cracked solder joints, but the capacitors and resistors and all those other things could be a real challenge.
    i guess it depends where you will be. if youve got the money why not put a new one on and carry the original as a spare?
    if the cdi fails and the bike missfires at high(or any) revs, it could mean catistrophic engine failure. zip tie those new cables in place for an easy fix if they do fail.
    good luck on your trip and a necessity is a camera so you can post pics here.
  18. thedutchrockstar

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle kit:
    • levers (brake and clutch)
    • sparkplugs
    • bulbs
    • cables (clutch)
    • Tire repair kit
    • basic tools (screwdrivers and stuff like that)

Things to do before going:
    • Replace chain and sprockets
    • replace brake pads front and rear
    • check valve clearance
    • check tires (enough thread? correct pressure?)
    • check oil, coolant and brake fluid levels

I also recommend you change the standard gear lever for the foldable one from the xl250? and you add some bar weights.
    Just for the peace of mind that if your bike drops a couple of hundred kilometers away from home that atleast you can still keep on going.

And if you are planning on going through the Netherlands give me a PM.
    I can provide a place to stay for a night or longer, a maintenance stop for the bike and if any repairs are needed they can be performed.

Some of these might be a little over the top, but it is always better than nothing.

And don't forget the camera we want pictures!
  19. Sambucas

Sambucas travelin.tk

Oddometer:
    Either Roukama motorparts shop (http://japparts.nl/, they have the cam chain for sure) or MotoZoom (but I am not sure they have the cam chain).

Normally the CDI only failes because of cracks in the soldering. If you open it and resolder it, it will last for a few years again, not just for 2 weeks. I already repaired 3 CDIs this way (there is a manual how to do this on MotorForum, if you want, I can send you the link, or you can do a search yourself).

The things that we carry on our cross-Africa trip in NX250s are basically only some basic tools. If you replace the sensitive or wearing parts (drive chain and sprockets, brake pads, airfilter) before you set of, you are good to go for many miles without much maintenance. Engine repairs will probably not be necessary, once you have replaced that cam chain. The CDI can be fixed easily and stop working at any time, there is no working (so maybe take something that you can solder with or just find soldering gear wherever you are, once the CDI breaks down).

Have fun on your trip! (Where are you going!?)

Our website: www.travelin.tk

Greetings from Amsterdam! :)
  20. Sambucas

Sambucas travelin.tk

Oddometer:
    BTW. Just a note to anyone interested:

Soon we will be heading of for the second leg of our cross-Africa tour with our 2 Honda NX 250s! :)
    We will fly to Addis Ababa, where our 250s are still waiting for us, on the 3rd of April!

New adventures should soon follow on our website:
    www.travelin.tk
    (or www.davesworld.nl, if the above doesn't work or is slow...)

Greetings,