1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

NX250 Thread -- official ADV owners manual

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by valvecrusher, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Sam Ry

Sam Ry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got a problem fellas. Took my bike out today and when I got back I noticed a pinkish dust all over my chain and rear wheel. Bike drove fine, didn't notice anything while riding. Doesn't look like rust as it looks a little pink. Very fine too. Just lubed my chain maybe 300 miles ago. Sorry not a great picture of it

Attached Files:

2. Alper

Alper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last time I saw my chain with that colour, it was worn-out and needed to be changed. The chain set was about 10000 miles old. I suppose the internal grease was pressed out. After changing the chain set everything was well again.
    Sam Ry likes this.
  3. Sam Ry

Sam Ry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic of the front sprocket. I think it is the original chain. I'm at like 6k miles I believe? Hoping there's a quicker cheaper fix than replacing everything as I just started a new job and money is kinda tight

Attached Files:

4. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, I got one of those and it does a very good job. But there are two different types, big head and small head. The big head will fit, unfortunately you got a small one. And the pressure index (1.1) should be also considered. BTW the cooler cap on the left on your pics is not a stock NX radiator cap.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...v-owners-manual.322268/page-390#post-25911743

[​IMG]
  5. scrambler66

Oddometer:

Hi,

yes, I still got one last pair of crash bars (if necessary I could ask the metal shop to produce more) and a few skidbars left.

The crashbars would be 90$, the skidbars (without the aluminium plate) 145$. Shipping to the US would be 52$, for either the crashbars alone (there is no cheaper shipping available) or together with the skidbars, and takes 2-3 weeks, depending on how fast the US customs works ;-). All necessary bolts (genuine Honda) are included. I don‘t do this for a living, so I don‘t have a shop or the like. Payment preferably with paypal.

Cheers, Michael
  6. Dado33

Dado33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know that cooler cap on the left is not a stock NX radiator cap. This is from my fazer. I compared the stock NX and fazer cooler cap, measured both, and concluded that they have identical internal measures, so I photographed the first one I picked up in my hands.

Well that's my luck. There are only 2 different types and I got wrong :baldy
    (and I have to say, I did not know for this big-small head difference :shog )

Thanks for informations :thumb
  7. Clamagore

Clamagore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was at Barber Vintage Days this past weekend. I took the NX and was surprised at the number of folks who stopped me to comment or avow its rarity. I saw one other in the swap meet. It was "Average" and priced at $2200. Two others in the Japanese bike show, a 125 and a 650. Guess that may be rare. 4 examples in 50K+ other motorcycles.

Highlight of the trip was meeting and chatting with Malcolm Smith. What a great spokesman for and supporter of motorcycles. Cool dude.
  8. 73Mustang

73Mustang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are parts for NX hard to come by?
    I found a low mileage NX on CL for under a grand.
    But it's been sitting in a barn, runs rough. And only god knows, what sort of hidden problems there are.

How much suspension travel are on these bikes?
  9. followingtarmacrtw

followingtarmacrtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hiya :)
    Super soft suspension... most people just replace it. Super fun bike ;)
    Dunno what I'll need but in Europe there's heaps of parts on eBay. Guess jus scroll through eBay and parts supplier websites to get an idea what they have ;)

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk
  10. RonSJC

RonSJC Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fairings are hard to come by, but even those are still available. I purchased a tail piece from China. It was cheap and was surprised how fast it shipped. My NX had been sitting for years. A little gas and she fired right up. I did have to tear the front caliper apart and clean it. The fluid had it all gummed up. For a grand I'd go for it. Bullet proof engine and the suspension can be improved for very little cost. Travel is 8.7 in Front, 7.8 rear (in inches)
    As far as parts... I haven't needed any! No seriously I've found brake shoes, air filters, oil filters, etc. Just about everything is available.
  11. 73Mustang

73Mustang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've seen magazine show that the NX makes 26 HP. That's more than the WR250R.
    Does the NX feel as fast as the WRR?
  12. RonSJC

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden the WR250R, but I've been along side one on the freeway and had no trouble keeping pace :) In fact when I passed him I could visibly see is jaw drop. I don't think there is a question that the WR is a superior dirt bike, but the NX does surprisingly well for 25+ year old technology. I think everything came together for honda on this bike and it was way ahead of it's time with this engine.

Check this out.

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/throwback-thursday-1988-honda-nx250/
  13. Dangerish

Dangerish I fall a lot

Oddometer:
    Part two of that crazy trip...

bodanx likes this.
  14. Dangerish

Dangerish I fall a lot

Oddometer:
    I've raced my buddy's WR250R. Mine was considerably faster off the line, but his had more top end. Then again, I'm sure it would be a dead heat if I had the stock 41 instead of my current 48 tooth rear sprocket. The NX may actually be faster, as it's certainly lighter, and has similar power.
  15. RonSJC

Oddometer:
    Hey Dangerish, nice burn! Where were you riding?.... i want to make sure I avoid it !!! Actually looks like a lot of riding possibilities .

Ron
  16. Dangerish

Dangerish I fall a lot

Oddometer:
    You could ride there for a week and still not hit every trail. A maze of drops and climbs, lol. It's in the badlands near Beaumont.
  17. larry31

larry31 Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's in dire need of some lube. It may need to be replaced?

Pull chain and do a thorough inspection & cleaning. Check for excessive stretch. Brush off any rust, and soak in oil.

Put some good lubricant on the chain. Clean the area around the front sprocket, including the sprocket itself.

( Kerosene does a good job of cleaning.)

Replace the chain as soon as you can.

The sprocket looks like it has some ware, but if money is tight, you may get by with keeping it lubed good. ( Like every 200 - 300 miles.)

I use "Bel-Ray" products, but any good chain lube will do, just keep it lubed often.

Adjust chain tension after re-installing.
    Replace sprockets, chain as soon as you can, and keep it lubed often. A new chain kept maintained should last longer than 6,000 miles.

The last thing you want is for the chain to break while you are moving!!
  18. Dado33

Dado33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before I buy GSF shock, I have a question for experienced !
    It's not easy for me to explain, because of my bad english, but I will try.
    I have offroad-tested bike enough to say that front fork from XL600 is improvement, but now I feel the need to change the rear suspension even more than before.
    But, my problem is not just to soft rear shock. (I know the man who can open it, put harder oil, and replace spring with stiffer one)
    My problem is to small rear wheel travel I would like to increase it as much I can.
    Last owner had a voltage regulator failure and put much biger regulator under the rear fender, and rear tyre never touch it. I have 17" rear vheel and very high tyre (of course, shock hit the bottom more then once). So, there is enough space for more rear wheel travel, but rear shock does not allow it.

My question is: If I put GSF shock, what do I get?
    - better rebound, settings and the same wheel travel, or
    - better rebound with setings and more wheel travel?

I don't know if this is possible, but I would like to have the suspension travel as much as possible. It would not bother me if the rear wheel touches the underside of the rear fender. Of course, I will remove this big voltage regulator and put original one on it's place.
    Please help

Attached Files:

19. RonSJC

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure about the increased wheel travel but I would move that voltage regulator right now if you are planning on riding off road at all.
  20. scrambler66

Oddometer:
    With the GSF600 (from 2000 onward, Type WVA8) shock you get waaaaay better rebound & setting and a bit less wheel travel – theoretically, because the original NX shock is so soft that you already lose 50% of the wheel travel by just sitting on the bike.

The GSF shock is 3mm shorter and has 6mm less way of travel – so the way of travel at the wheel is approx. 18mm shorter.

[​IMG]

On road the GSF shock is just perfect – you can adjust spring preload and rebound damping to your needs. Offroad I haven’t tried it in real harsh conditions – but I’m sure that it will be good for normal use, but I guess at higher speeds it will have limitations (it’s from a street bike, after all).

[​IMG]

If you want to get the most out of your nixie you should get a Wilbers shock. They are on sale right now until end of October. You get a longer shock for no extra charge. You can get a 6mm longer (meaning 6mm more way of travel at the shock and 18mm more way of travel at the wheel) into the swingarm, with longer shocks you would have to grind at the linkages of the swingarm (not recommended). One thing about the Wilbers: I found them a bit too soft, when ordering I always add 20% to my weight (wilbers needs the weight since every shock is custom made), than they are perfect. And something else: 540 and 640 http://www.ebay.de/itm/Wilbers-Fede...961622?hash=item35af93bcd6:g:RJcAAOSw8cNUOK-V are street versions, the only one especially designed for offroad use is the 641 http://www.ebay.de/itm/Wilbers-Stos...724848?hash=item4aeb16e030:g:CkcAAOSwsB9WEl-3
    I had a longer white power shock and XL600r fork in my KTN(ixie). Together with a thicker concept seat and 18/21 inch wheels the seat height goes really up

[​IMG]
    Dsgb031 likes this.