1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

NX250 Thread -- official ADV owners manual

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by valvecrusher, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know of a source to replace the turn signal indicator bulbs with something a lot brighter? On a couple of occasions lately, I have failed to click off my turn signals after completing a turn, and the stock indicators are not bright enough to catch your attention. So then I go for miles like the typical doddering old oaf, blinking away...
    I thought about adding a couple indicators on the sides of the windscreen or up on the turn signals, more in my line of sight, but if I could simply replace the stock bulbs with something much brighter, I would like to try that first. Suggestions?
  2. adilmon

adilmon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While waiting for a new accelerator pump diaphragm I just ordered and aftermarket LCD dash for the AX1. I looked around to get one that replaced the mechanical speedo with an electric one (one less cable to oil).
    Not sure how I'm going to set up the gear position selector and the fuel level light is redundant, but will enjoy trying stuff out. May even wire it up to make it a quick change to revert to stock if i decide to sell it.

Why?: I do appreciate an LCD dash. The suzuki freewind and suzuki djebel clocks swap was an option, but they are small, rare and the stock analogue KPH speedo with an mph converter isn't the easiest to read.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    dvgeek and PTC like this.
  3. Bunce1260

Bunce1260 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI - 20% off on ebay today with a code. PICKDADSGIFT
    I just picked up a GSF600S shock.
  4. Bunce1260

Oddometer:

Regarding lights - Thanks Spurlock, just the tip I was looking for. My tail light is LED so current draw of a 20W (so that's about 1.7 amps?) LED light should be ok, right?
  5. PTC

PTC Turd polisher

Oddometer:
    I just installed a round digital gauge so if you need a hand with the wiring let me know. Mine uses a Hall effect sensor/ magnets for the speedo. I haven’t hooked it up yet due to needing to fab up a tricky bracket.
    I’m interested in that one though!
    Let me know if it fits properly? It would be a lot easier for sure
    adilmon likes this.
  6. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a new source for shindengen CDIs popped up :D Actually they were around for a couple of years, but since they were sold under the label "sun" nobody noticed. The sun cdi looks exactly like the original, with all the right markings in the right place (KW3H etc.).

Only difference: where the OEM CDI got shindengen engraved the sun has a sticker

[​IMG]

But under the label is :clap

[​IMG]

It turns out that sun gets this CDI from shindengen but sells it under their own label. Those cdis are also sold by Tourmax. And some years ago someone already bought a sun CDI and measured the ignition advance - which were just like stock.

Downside is that the only source of SUN cdis I know does not deliver to the US https://www.ebay.de/itm/CDI-Steuerg...721804?hash=item1c1c68e94c:g:ANUAAOSwGIRXatG~
    spychic, dvgeek, Spurlock and 2 others like this.
  7. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So you're going to be the middle man to North America? :)
  8. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:
    @Kolb Driver

I would use LED lamps of the highest spec i could find, MUCH brighter than the OEM 30yo bulbs.

Someone used to post here, letting us know WHICH LEDs could be trusted........
    (I bought some LEDs off E.blech-(bay) and they were super dim, much dimmer than stock........were supposed to be brighter....)

But my buddy gave me some he got off Ebay and they are crazy bright......I would ask him, but i don't know what happened to the guy
    Kolb Driver likes this.
  9. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have used this company before, and their bulbs are really good. https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/instrument-cluster-gauge/
    What I don't know is - what is the part number of the original equipment turn signal indicator bulb, so I can order it using the super bright LED replacement?
  10. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Kolb Driver,
    I listed the various types of instrument bulbs in a post here. Turn signal indicator bulbs are wedge base 12V 3 watt, part # 34908-KM1-671. I'm not sure anything brighter is available in either LED or regular. How about wiring a helmet buzzer into the turn signal circuit? Ha ha. I need that sometimes.

-Bill
    adilmon and valvecrusher like this.
  11. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:

you need a T6.5 bulb, a MINI-wedge base(or Full Wedge -T10/194/168)

[​IMG]

There are two sizes, and a few different wattages, iirc

They are both 'blade type' lamps....

One size, is the T10(also known as 194, 168)

The other size is T6.5 Wedge(mini-Wedge)

I have not pulled my cluster, but it seems like there were two sizes,:hmmmmm
    three styles(wattages)total, and then turns were the small ones?

Wedge --- T10 (194/168)
    mini-wedge --- T6.5
  12. Bunce1260

Oddometer:
    I have to ride for about an hour to get to the mountain roads, there doesn't seem to be many options to keep the wind off.
    In the interest of fitting a decent generic handlebar mount windshield, I'm considering swapping to a dirt bike style headlight setup that's mounted to the forks. For those that have done this, how did it work out for you and what did you do with the guages etc.?
  13. PTC

PTC Turd polisher

Oddometer:
    If you do this, you leave the tank fairings vulnerable and unsupported.
    Search” trash can windshield “
    I did this headlight swap and it was a big job as there is ALOT of wiring to hide. I think the trash can is a great easy to remove mod and I’ve heard great things about them.
    FDF8B599-1B21-45B5-89D1-0032D9A84862.png
    valvecrusher likes this.
  14. Bunce1260

Oddometer:
    That looks pretty good.
    Have you, or anyone else tried one on the NX?
  15. PTC

PTC Turd polisher

Oddometer:
    I haven’t, but you can make them for just a few bucks, so it’s worth experimenting. Check YouTube, the guy credited to them has a few how to videos with measurements
  16. Bunce1260

Oddometer:
    Yeah I watched the videos, I was just wondering if someone had the measurement to fit the NX cowl.
  17. SaDoW

SaDoW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi !!!! is there a chain slider replacement????? does anyone know???
  18. Bunce1260

Oddometer:
    Does anyone happen to have a Suzuki DR as well as an NX and can compare sizes of the headlight cowl for making a fairing?
  19. PTC

PTC Turd polisher

Oddometer:
    Try making out of cardboard with the YouTube measurements and modify from there @Bunce1260
  20. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    apparently at least local machine knows an US source for the SUN CDI (see below)

[​IMG]
    adilmon likes this.