NX250 Thread -- official ADV owners manual

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by valvecrusher, Mar 17, 2008.

1. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:
    100000kms? 200,000?
    DAMHIK :evil

Welcome @peepeep to ADV!
    peepeep likes this.
  2. peepeep

peepeep n00b

Oddometer:
    thanks dude glad to be here! cant wait for my first excursion! so I shouldnt be worrying haha shoulda figured, i still see hatchbacks from the 90's driving around with like 450,000 kms. honda reliability baby
  3. suecanada

suecanada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually over the years I have really stopped taking pics a lot...never look at them later...and I find that memory is better for a good rush...sometimes photos disappoint. If i get memory loss I guess having the pics will be a moot point anyway....hmmm. So my test showed to me that a long journey on the NX250 is fine in the eyes of the bike. The only thing that needs to be done is a mind-change.....I used to barrel down the hwy...till the gas ran out at 200 miles and then fill up...you guys know....stupid way to see anything. My guy asks me "if I saw this or that when we watch say Aerial America....yes i was there but all i saw was grey hwy. with yellow dashes! This time I remember a whole lot more about the towns. I like to look at the architecture. For instance, I will not forget (at least I hope I don't) how close the homes in a small civil war town are actually placed to the road in front....really cheek by jowl....no front yard except maybe sidewalk! So do not hesitate to take that long trip. Explore and enjoy and Honda reliability will get you there and back. Pack light!!!
    Nata Harli, travial and PTC like this.
  4. suecanada

Oddometer:
    Sounds like what I needed to do with the BMW R65LS sidestand....I will take a boo at this...thanks! Springs at 72 are a bear!! I hope the coin trick works! Valvecrusher and Spurlock...do you guys have any easy ideas other than a motorcycle lift to remove the rear wheel for a tire change...I completely wore out my rear tire on the trip! I was hoping to just jack it up a bit...I have little space to work in as 3 bikes are in a 10X10 foot garden shed called the "Brrrmmm Closet"!! hee, hee. Maybe a piece of thick plywood under the swingarm and a wheeled jack would be enough to lift it to get the tire off and over to the changer guy.
  5. suecanada

Oddometer:
    Thanks! At $13.99 for a pair of screens it seemed like the right price. Sometimes the lack of a big screen makes things quieter I have found...and I guess I wasn't going fast enough that wind noise was a bother. But when i put my hand up in front to find out where the wind pressure stops..it was a bottom of the helmet. I even wore a helmet with a visor/peak and the wind pull wasn't annoying.
    gypsyfool likes this.
  6. PTC

PTC Turd polisher

Oddometer:
    Scrap wood and a jack will work fine. But...
    Be sure to secure both sides of the handle bars ( like strapping into a truck for transport) as the bike becomes VERY unstable on the jack. Loosen the axle before jacking.
    Also position the jack as rearward as possible, as the front end will want to come up first. I use the very rear (under engine) as a jackpoint
  7. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:
    @suecanada
    I love your Brrrmmm Closet, and I have appropriated it for myself.....
    I now have a Vroom Closet!
  8. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    If there is a beam in the ceiling you could use ratchet straps from there down to your rear racks, one strap on each side would be tip-over proof.

-Bill
    Nata Harli likes this.
  9. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depends on how you treat them - two things they don't like for sure: low octane gasoline (at least 95) and low revs in high gears - the conrod bearings are somewhat underdimensioned. Besides that you will probably have to change the timing chain around 80.000-100.000kms, but thats about it. A couple of guys made more than 100.000km without having to open the engine at all, mine has almost 130.000km on the clock http://forum.nx250.de/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=270&p=12922#p12922
    spychic likes this.
  10. Mingo13

Mingo13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any fellow Nixie's in Arizona?! We just moved to Phoenix from Ohio, and of course brought our NX250 and NX650! Hoping to start doing some rides as soon as the heat / forest fires die down a little!
    spychic, travial and valvecrusher like this.
  11. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Paging oldmanaz to the white courtesy phone.

-Bill
    PTC and Mingo13 like this.
  12. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I took our Nixies on a nice 220 mile ride the other day that included lots of remote gravel roads. We always end up on his front porch to rehash the day's ride and the conversation always turns to how much we love the NX250!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Bill
  13. Too Old for This

Too Old for This Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got $18 Chinese Ebay seat cover installed with help from my wife. Took the bike on a hundred mile jaunt and all the fluids remained inside the motor. Electric cooling fan operates as it should and bike got up to 70 mph with my 210 lbs on it. 20190720_182613.jpg
    spychic, travial, PTC and 1 other person like this.
  14. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your bike is looking really nice! Did you use the stock seat foam?

-Bill
  15. Too Old for This

Too Old for This Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did. It was not damaged at all. Probably not the most comfortable but it's good enough.
    Thanks for the compliment also, yours is pretty sweet as well. I would have loved to keep the stock headlight on mine but ax-1 plastics were all that were available without spending a fortune on the stuff from Greece.
  16. Dsgb031

Dsgb031 The older I get, the faster I was

Oddometer:
    That actually turned out to be the problem as a matter of fact. I have a few NX250's that I try and race as much as possible, one for my wife who has wridden before with s
  17. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride today, myself and two friends rode to the top of White Top Mountain in Virginia today, about 30 miles east of Bristol TN. Although you probably cannot see it in the picture, we could see Chimney Top Mountain in the distance, 70 miles away. Incredible visibility, great friends, great ride, PTL! 20190724_142022.jpg
  18. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice, looks like a beautiful area!

-Bill
  19. spychic

spychic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Folks,
    Got dry rot on OEM tires finally. Would love ideas on replacements. Bridgestone has discontinued the NX sizes. My mechanic and I discussed swapping in a 17" wheel but that sounded god awful - need the entire assembly, including hub bearings - even talked of the angle the spokes had to go in blah blah blah. bicycle wheel replacements are much easier it seems.

This same mechanic has also continued to refuse to do the front fork oil for me. ?? ?? From the day I purchased it, the suspension felt too soft, or softer than the 1988 I had 20 years ago. He just seems like he doesn't want to mess with the bike b/c dialing it in is an issue.

Back to tires though, what do ya'll think?
  20. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some people here are using these V Rubber tires. They look really similar to the Trail Wings. I'll be ordering some soon.

Strange that the mechanic won't do fork oil. It's not too much to do yourself, but it can be messy and you need to measure the oil level in the fork accurately with forks fully compressed, no springs, when refilling. A common modification is to preload the springs with a spacer in each fork leg, which can be a short length of PVC pipe. That will reduce the initial sag of the forks. Heavier oil will dampen out "bouncy-ness". Hope this helps,

-Bill

-Bill