1. eNewsletter Sign Up

NX250 Thread -- official ADV owners manual

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by valvecrusher, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Too Old for This

Too Old for This Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The service manual states 50/50 ethylene glycol.
    I used Prestone green stuff. I believe it is free of silicates
  2. arescec

arescec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few more of those Chinese NX250 engines came up. Too bad shipping is so expensive :/

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32824778821.html
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shineray-2...torcycle-engine-with-engine-kit-/262029549770
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32884717473.html
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...pm=a2700.7724838.normalList.34.29e04efeJDkMae

The price seems to hover in the 600-700 range but the shipping is crazy. Will probably stick to used engines once this one gives up the ghost.
    Still, a new engine for a 30 year old bike for that price is tempting even if it is not Honda quality.

The engine has been used in the following bikes:
    Defenda Pro 250-X2
    Shineray GY250 X2 ()

Also a big bore kit available (not that I think it would be smart with the crankshaft situation on NX250):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHINERAY-X...692711?hash=item3acc4cdda7:g:jxcAAOSw7MtdVz5a

Complete head: https://www.chinahao.com/Product/53...f_the_ax-1_tone_good_door_gap_to_just_install

A lot of engine parts - clutch basket, head, etc.:
    https://www.yoycart.com/Search?SearchText=xy250&catId=0&p=2

From all the postings and writings the name of the engine is most likely X2, I am just not sure who the manufacturer is.
    travial likes this.
  3. arescec

arescec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also, anyone got extra engine for sale in Europe?
    Or just the head. My head seems to have dead exhaust camshaft.
  4. Reverand Hope

Reverand Hope Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks...not been on the forum for while as I changed bikes (CRF250L to a Transalp 600 to a CB 500X) See where this is going? The CRF was a great runaround but a bit of a chunk off road. Bought a Transalp for touring. Threw it around Europe last year and loved every minute but was beset by the inevitable gremlins of a 30 year old bike; the mpg wasn't great either, so I plumped for a used CB 500 X on my return, with a view to doing some more back roads touring on a budget. Superb bike for what it is: billed as a potential RTW, mini ADV, completed the TAT successfully after suspension mods etc. but it's no dual sport and I'm missing the gravel. The CB 500 x is a keeper, but I started to look around for a lighter bike that would bridge the gap. I can't justify a proper enduro (don't have the skills) and don't fancy a big trailie either. Had a good long look at the usual suspects (DR, DRZ, XR etc.) but then I spotted an AX1 for sale locally...it's not a pure trail bike, but I reckon it could be exactly what I'm looking for...not sure about the cast wheels for anything serious, but I don't plan on thrashing it off road. More power and torque than the CRF and a good 30+ KGs lighter (and who can resist twin headlamps on a dual sport?) Despite the issues I had with the Transalp, it never ceases to amaze me how much better the build quality is on the japanese-built bikes of this era, compared to the latest offerings. Everything on the bike looks and sounds in order and the present owner seems like a genuine chap. He's carried out the type of work I'd do as a matter of course on an older machine, and has a genuine reason for sale so I'm going to take the plunge....

Just thought I'd post up on here before I complete the sale (later today, hopefully) as I imagine I'll be picking some brains in the near future. Pics to follow.
    travial and PTC like this.
  5. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reverand Hope - Thanks for your post sir, I got my NX250 about 4 or so years ago, and after some upgrade mods to the rear shock, and a better/softer seat, this is one of the best twisty backroads bike I have ever had. Had to replace the CDI box, that was no problem, choosing the right rear shock and modifying the air box was a bit more difficult, but not really very hard.
    Here's the bottom line: coming back from a mountain ride three weeks ago chasing a friend who can ride a Suzuki Burgman fast enough to make you white knuckled, (And make my Harley buddies drag their pegs) my friend who was chasing me on his 2017 Wee-strom told me "It's amazing how fast you can make that 250 go!" <Grin>

That's what it's all about. It's more fun flogging a 250 within an inch of it's life and humbling the big boys than it is scaring yourself on a 650 with more horse power than you have sense.
    Full disclosure - I got an NX650 last month, and so far I am riding it at what seems about 75% of it's potential. And at my age it will probably stay that way...
    Spurlock and PTC like this.
  6. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    NX250 Noob questions:

1. Does my NX250 have an oil filter? Looked everywhere but can't find it. Amazon shows filters that are supposed to work.
    2. I probably need a new chain. What chain do I need to look for?
    3. What weight oil do you recommend?
    4. Can I replace the taillight with an LED light? What would you recommend.
    5. How about the headlight? Can it be replaced with an LED? Recommendations?
    6. Are EBC brake pads worth the $$$$$?

The turn signals seem to be too much of a hassle to replace with LEDs and don't think it's worth the effort.

I've got it stripped down right now with all the plastic off trying to get prepared for a 400 mile off-road journey at the end of the month so I figure now would be the perfect time to make some changes/improvements.

I've used the search function on this thread but can't seem to find the answers. And, I'm sure I'll have other questions but these are the ones that I could use answers for right now.

Bike has 7500 miles on it and I don't thing the PO did much maintenance.

Thanks!
  7. arescec

arescec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1 - yes. On the forward right side of the engine, has two screws.
    2 - 520 chain. e.g. DID VX3 with 103 links (check that online before ordering, I think it is 103).
    3 - 10W40 for normal use or 15W50 for hot climates .
    5 - It can, but not always legal.
    6 - No. They are the same china thing that everybody sells. Can't say this with 100% certainty but today I was looking at some parts in the official 'manufacturers' catalogue and it reminded me very much of browsing through Aliexpress really. All the same s**t. Same blinkers, same cables, etc. just with a brand name and 3x the price. Got myself some TRW Lucas pads - they brake a lot worse than the random no name pads that were on there (probably because organic). Sorry for the rant but no big brand really makes items for those bikes as the market is so small, they just resell the things made by the same manufacturer (probably situated somewhere in China).
    Nata Harli likes this.
  8. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:
    1. Yes, it is behind the oil filter cover(round), on the clutch side of the engine. 2 bolts, iirc. There is ALSO an oil screen inside the crankcase, but it's not the maintenance type, it is only a mesh wire screen, the paper filter is inside the round cover. It is the lowest element on this side, below the water pump impeller cover..

2. you'll need an Oring chain at minimum, an X-ring for an upgrade, and a Z-ring(is there still a z-ring?) is yet another o-ring style..
    but the size is 520, and you'll need X number of links...

3. 10-40w is a good year round oil weight in a mild/moderate climate

4. Yes. No preference other than one visible from ALL sides.

5. Yes? imho, no preference

6. EBC makes good pads, but so do alot of others, SBS, Vesrah, OEM honda....
    Nata Harli likes this.
  9. travial

travial Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quick update here, ended up ordering the acrylic/lexan/plastic/whatever headlight lens on ebay from my last post. A bit pricey at $50 plus S&H, but it was the only option available:
    20190903_235508681_iOS.jpg I'm not crazy about it, especially since I'll need to tape up all the weird cutouts all around it and hope I can waterproof it well enough; I'll post an after pic when I install it. The headlight cowl is in 3 pieces as well, so I'll be giving it the ABS cement treatment.
  10. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    won't fit https://advrider.com/f/threads/nx250-thread-official-adv-owners-manual.322268/page-337#post-23765002

The shineray, dongben or whatever engines are only lookalikes and no exact copies. Some pages back someone figured out that even the Chinese valves are different.
    arescec likes this.
  11. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    I just found a NX250 owners manual on line and noticed that the oil filler cap has a dipstick attached to it. Mine does not. I've drained all the oil out and replaced the filter and am getting ready to put new oil in.
    Any suggestions on how much oil I should put in or how to measure the full level without the dipstick?
    Thanks, again, for all your help.
  12. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:
    1.6 liters is the capacity....

I would put in 1.5 quarts, maybe a smidge over that....
    AND
    get a dipstick off 'E'Bay, OR i'm pretty sure if you asked nice, someone here has an extra!

If not, buy a long dipstick that fits the OEM threading, and cut it short,
    and then -Scribe- a mark onto it, at the 1.6 liter level....(or length, again someone here will measure theirs for the length to make the -strike- from the threads..

You measure the oil on the dipstick with the bike level, not on the kickstand, iirc....
    You can put the handlebar end up next to a wall if you can't use a strap, or have a buddy to hold it for you.
    Nata Harli likes this.
  13. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never seen an NX with a dipstick on the oil filler cap. The filler cap on top of the clutch cover, just ahead of the clutch lever arm, is a cap only, see part #10 here: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1989/nx250-a/right-crankcase-cover and the dipstick is the one in the lower rear of the cover, part # 11 in the link. If your dipstick is missing, there is one available on ebay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NOS-Ho...897155&hash=item2cec906887:g:O1IAAOSwLSBdABfj

-Bill
  14. Utahphotoadv

Utahphotoadv n00b

Oddometer:
    Found the correct transistor and was able to get the other CDI re soldered up. Now have four running NX250s.
    valvecrusher likes this.
  15. Mingo13

Mingo13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Labor Day ride and only our third Nixie ride since moving to Arizona. About 80 miles total through the Agua Fria ending at the "Sheep Bridge", a suspension bridge that was originally built for moving sheep back and forth across the Verde River, which was then demolished after sheep were no longer kept in the area, and then a replica rebuilt by the forest service for hikers to use to get across. If you look closely in the right center of the first photo you can see the route winding into the distance. Incredible views!
    70457101_10213808589201375_8549829634793930752_o.jpg 69449217_10213808588721363_5437162313058615296_o.jpg 70785990_10213808588401355_1712927996681125888_o.jpg 70166156_10213808588081347_8809607510467018752_o.jpg
  16. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice!

-Bill
  17. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Bill,

Thanks. I never noticed the lower cover with the dipstick. That solved THAT problem!

Ken
  18. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  19. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  20. LoganFromNZ

LoganFromNZ n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone! New to the forums and have just picked up an 88' NX250. She runs great but unfortunately the transmission is leaking from somewhere. My first step has been to drain the fluid but I can't find in the service manual how to change the transmission fluid. Is the oil check bolt the same one I removed to drain the fluid? It's the one that held the shifter in place and now while it's removed it's slack. Also my clutch is staying engaged no matter how I adjust it. I'm assuming this is because of the low trans fluid.

Looking forward to your suggestions, thanks in advance.