1. eNewsletter Sign Up

NX250 Thread -- official ADV owners manual

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by valvecrusher, Mar 17, 2008.

1. kevNX

kevNX n00b

Oddometer:
    The worst luck is that my voicemail wasn’t setup so I didn’t know I could pick it up for a month while it racked up $600 in storage/tow fees.

I’m sure I’ll be posting a lot. I’m also trying to get caught up... on page 19 now
    That looks great! I wish their metallic green looked as good.
  2. Reverand Hope

Reverand Hope Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rustoleum is excellent paint, but it's a nightmare to overpaint with anything other than Rustoleum...and even then it can react. If you still have an issue with the finish, you need to cut it back completely, use an adhesion promoter for 'plastic', a couple of light coats of high-build primer followed by a primer sealer. This should provide a good foundation for your base coat and clear coat (assuming you're using a two part system). I've no professional qualifications, but I've f**ked up enough home paint jobs to have learned my lesson. It's all in the prep...wipe down with isopropyl or tack cloth after a light wet sand between coats. Warm your rattlecans in hot water and don't batter it on...It's one of the most rewarding aspects of any resto when you get the paint right.
  3. Reverand Hope

Oddometer:
    it could have been through several hands by now...in the UK, stolen bikes and scooters are sold openly, with mobile 'phone numbers, on Facebook and other social media sites. The Police are so underfunded they have no time to follow up on stolen property, so the bastards aren't worried about being caught.
    On a similar note, I spotted a theft ring on Ebay a while back. High end mountain bikes were being sold on a regular basis from three sellers at different ends of the country. The bikes were being advertized as 'upgraded'....ie different forks, wheels etc. in short they were stealing the bikes, swapping parts and selling them on. I tracked them for a few weeks and notified Ebay...Ebay did absolutely nothing. I notified the Police; they thanked me for the information. The scam continued unabated for a few months. I didn't want to intervene as I thought the Police would be monitoring it. After a while it was apparent nothing was being done so I sent the sellers a message to tell them I was on to them and had notified the Police...only then did they stop 'trading' ....the shameless thieving c*nts!
  4. Reverand Hope

Oddometer:
    Is that a Cool cover on there? I have one on my CB 500 X...works really well, although the first time I went for a ride, it felt like I'd p*ssed myself!:rofl
  5. kevNX

kevNX n00b

Oddometer:
    It was. His Facebook was public so I went back 2 years and didn’t see any pics until more recently. He said he bought it on Facebook. He had to have known it was stolen tho. It’s hot wired.

Does anyone have experience with perfect-fairings.com? Seems easier than repairing broken eBay fairings.
  6. Reverand Hope

Oddometer:
    some folk couldn't care less, sadly.
    Never had dealings with perfect fairings but there's a few companies in the far East that do repro plastics (unpainted or fully painted complete with decals). I'll see what's available here on Ebay UK, but you're more likely to find NX stuff in the states.

might be something OEM here...plenty of NX's sold in Germany

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...rksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=nx+250+fairing&_sacat=0
  7. l0000tesla

l0000tesla n00b

Oddometer:
    Programmable CDI for NX250: https://cdi-shop.de/en/programmable-cdi-software
    I'm thinking of buying this, just wondering if anyone else has given it a try? It does come pre-programmed for the NX250 and you can make your own adjustments to the advance curve and other parameters. The only thing I'm not sure about is the supposed "kickback" feature in the OEM CDI? I assume this is a minimum rpm required for the CDI to fire, can anybody provide more insight on this?
  8. PTC

PTC Turd polisher

Oddometer:
    I forgot the name brand but yes! And I thought the same thing LOL. But they are absolutely incredible for a $20 investment
  9. PTC

PTC Turd polisher

Oddometer:
    86BCD66B-A463-49CA-B139-96885EC57C2C.jpeg 355EA7CC-440D-4DFC-A37F-249F09CF2E66.jpeg 172BDA64-838F-4AF9-8D17-E09555B27173.jpeg
    4F85938D-90A0-4BA4-9D6D-F325E8DB1064.jpeg
    Anybody interested in this big tank? It does have a small crack at the mounting tab Under the seat. That will need to be welded. It looks better in the pictures, I will also include all my homemade brackets so you can mount it up. It’s got 30 bucks worth of antislosh foam stuffed into it as well,
    I’m cleaning up the garage! Little by little
  10. Reverand Hope

Oddometer:
    If and when I do buy a new CDI it will most likely be one of these. The early Transalps suffer the same problem (x 2!) and owners on this and other forums have recommended them as a reliable alternative.

As far as I'm aware, 'soft start' or 'anti kick back' works by retarding the spark until the piston has just traveled past Top Dead Centre while the starter motor is spinning., so the piston is already on its downward stroke. Once you release the starter, ignition timing reverts to a more appropriate advance. Back in the day, you had to manually trim the ignition timing, using an advance/retard lever (like a manual choke) which moved the base plate to which the contact breakers were attached . Then 'bob weighted' points came along, which worked on centrifugal force to do the same job.

I assume the developers would have taken the 'anti kick back' requirement into account on the pre programmed map. The starter motor can only spin up the motor to a certain rpm, so when rpm = x, ignition advance = y. This isn't ideal once the engine is up an running, but it's one way around it, and rpm at idle will be greater than cranking speed, so in practice it wouldn't be an issue.

Best speaking to the developers as I'm sure they'll have a better take on it than me...
  11. mattmacklind

mattmacklind Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pic1.jpg Pic2.jpg Pic3.jpg Pic4.jpg Pic4.jpg

Here's some pics from a recent trip. Riding off road can be exhausting, this was really my first experience with it. The NX performed pretty well, although there were a few times I turned around because of some long and very steep uphills and downhills. The place I rode at (Rush Springs Ranch near Pineville, MO) was mostly river rock, maybe better suited to more than two wheels but it was still fun. I never wanted more displacement. I was also surprised at the inclines the NX could haul me up without any problems. I learned to stand up more and to actually go a little faster for stability, especially uphill. Almost forgot, the SV650 shock came in handy also.
    valvecrusher, PTC and Spurlock like this.
  12. Zic00

Zic00 n00b

Oddometer:
    hey guys! nx250 (and over all motorcycle noob) here! so im picking up a non running 89 model from an auction for a pretty good price! I kind of have it mind to make it into a project and get it running/ looking nice. what are some places I could get some replacement parts/up grades?

the original owner took of the front cowling and did away with the bracket that holds it in place so that's mainly my first concern to getting it to at least looking OEM.

thanks guys!
    valvecrusher likes this.
  13. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. PTC

PTC Turd polisher

Oddometer:
    Some parts are scarce and can be pricey. If I was wearing your shoes, I’d invest/investigate getting it running properly first before making it look good. If it needs a lot mechanicaly, sometimes it’s better to find a parts bike or start with something better and use that for parts.
    That said, I have no idea why it’s not running or the condition
    Start with a fuel system cleaning and move on from there.
    Maybe it’s just a dirty carb?
    Maybe the motors junk?
    Do some research first and then make the financial decision.
    Spurlock likes this.
  15. gavair

gavair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks Bill, cleaned out the full fuel system and took her for a spin today, 40Km spin around the hills of clare and she didn't miss a beat.
    Spurlock likes this.
  16. gavair

gavair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi all, anyone know where i can get a natural switch for a 1994 NX250?
  17. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you mean neutral switch? Should still be available from Honda, the same part was used on many different models and years. Partzilla in the US lists it here. Also cmsnl has them here.

-Bill
  18. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:
    welcome @Zic00

Thank you for dropping in!

The bracket you seek is a headlight stay, and they are kinda hard to come by in 'straight' condition.
    E.b.ay is your best source, they pop up from time to time.

Wait, THIS forum is your best source, make a post asking around, and maybe someone has one in their 'spares'.

@gavair I hope this sorts your NX out, now that it's running a little better
  19. gavair

gavair Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. gavair

gavair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks, time to get started on the XL600 rebuild