1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

NX250 Thread -- official ADV owners manual

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by valvecrusher, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scrambler, Excellent write up and workmanship!

-Bill
  2. mattmacklind

mattmacklind Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took a long trip and came back with this; nx650b.jpg
  3. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good for you! I loved my NX250 so much that when a chance to get a clean unmolested NX650 showed up, I grabbed it, and love it. Since I am somewhat inseam-challenged, I swapped the stock rear shock for a modified/shortened SSV650 shock and also slid the front tubes up about 5/8" in the clamps. Now it handles an awful lot like the 250, and is no taller. I am going to have to shorten the side stand now.
    mattmacklind likes this.
  4. mattmacklind

mattmacklind Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes I guess I expected just a larger 250 but it really is a different animal. The power difference is immense. I'm so used to smaller displacement when I first rode it I felt like I was cheating somehow, I mean you can solve most problems using the throttle. I have a shorter inseam and I think this NX has had a shock conversion already as the shock installed is adjustable for both sag and preload. I adjusted the sag and it is about even with the 250.

Oh yeah, I also drove to Maryland and back in three days to get it.
    Spurlock likes this.
  5. DietcokeAni

DietcokeAni Annette

Oddometer:
    RK Racing Chain 520XSO-102 102-Links X-Ring Chain with Connecting Link
    I bought it off Amazon for $69
  6. LockupTrump

LockupTrump n00b

Oddometer:
    All small engines should run only ethanol free gas
  7. LockupTrump

LockupTrump n00b

Oddometer:
    Ethanol gas is a killer for all small engines the gas if left in the tank starts to turn was like and all the little carb jets and openings will get plug. Only run ethanol free gas and NEVER store regular pump gas over the winter.
  8. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but that's just not accurate. All gas deteriorates over time whether ethanol free or not. Adding fuel stabilizer extends the useful life considerably. I leave stabilized pump gas in various small farm equipment engines for 6-8 months at a time with no ill effects. The O-rings in some older carburetors did not stand up well to ethanol, but then again old carb O-rings break down eventually anyway. I have a few 1970s Honda engines running the original carb O-rings and ethanol gas. They still run fine after 45 years, but I refresh the gas and add stabilizer at least once per year.

-Bill
    PTC likes this.
  9. Too Old for This

Too Old for This Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm with Spurlock on this. I have two tractors from the eighties that only get used for snow removal and many other 40ish year old engines. Add some stabilizer if it will sit and maybe shut the petcock and drain the bowl.
  10. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    Have two nx250s in Idaho. Left sitting under tarps for 6 months.
    Both have ethanol free gas and fired right up.
    TW in Ca with eth gums up in a month, just getting new jets tomorrow.
    Have been beat up last two years, used to never let any bike sit for a month without riding it
    except 650 Burgman and it always starts and runs perfect, (injection).
    Ready to ride the T-Dub now but hope to bring an NX to Ca. soon as way better on roads.

Happy Holidays

hh
    wwm
  11. Undercover Poe

Undercover Poe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For anyone else who was wondering a Seat Concepts Seat will fit on an NX 125 with some minor modifications IMG_1074.JPG IMG_1073.JPG IMG_1072.JPG 59763562878__8CE69C30-0158-42B1-BEC3-F4508D662C64.JPG IMG_1070.JPG
    JohnnyC555, scrambler66 and PTC like this.
  12. Zic00

Zic00 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    anyone found an aftermarket or so chain guard that will fit our nixxies? the predvious owner of mine did away with the oem one and inspection is coming around the corner >.>
  13. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PTC likes this.
  14. scrambler66

Oddometer:
    Spurlock and PTC like this.
  15. Reverand Hope

Reverand Hope Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Scrambler! hope all's well. Looks like the 'best of build' has been coming along nicely. I've not been over to the NX forum for a while. Had a run of bad luck with work and domestic issues over the last couple of months, so my AX1 refurb is on hold at the moment. Fingers crossed this Christmas heralds a change for the better and I can crack on with the resto in the New Year.
  16. Supradog

Supradog Ultimate Lurker

Oddometer:
    Had the first trip of the winter season up to the mountain cabin. It had snowed a little since last time we where there so self standing parking was utilized to get them off the road for unloading.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The extra led bar wired into the high beam really helped in the darkness, though it collects a little snow.
    [​IMG]

The bikes also have a rear luggage defroster, but it only works on one side.
    [​IMG]
  17. Reverand Hope

Oddometer:
    I see you made full use of the snow redistribution device just above the front tyre. Honda thought of everything!
  18. suecanada

suecanada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd love to have a sidestand that I could shorten as necessary when the load when travelling creates too much sag and the bike stands too upright for comfort. Soupys Performance makes adjustable sidestands but no NX 250 model is available....not very surprising! Anyone try to invent an adjustable stand? Boy, that NX 650 sure looks nice!
  19. Reverand Hope

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure whether the lower section of the NX sidestand is solid or tubular but either way, it'd be a relatively straightforward task to remove the baseplate, tap a hole in the upright and make a threaded 'foot' (similar to the kind you see on domestic appliances for levelling). Nice project if you have the facilities...
  20. scrambler66

Oddometer:
    That would be me :D But the US side stand is different. If you got a decent rear shock you won't need a shorter side stand, by the way.

[​IMG]