1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

NX250 Thread -- official ADV owners manual

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by valvecrusher, Mar 17, 2008.

1. muzcuk

muzcuk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @travial sounds about right. I thought I was being smart draining the bowl before parking it last season. Maybe it just wants to be ridden, poor thing.
  2. Mr Kraabs

Mr Kraabs n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Just bought my first NX250 yesterday and drove her home 2 hours.
    She's a bit rough around the edges but I'll be bringing her back up to shape.

Amongst other issues, there's one I'm having difficulties to diagnose. When under load, under 5000 rpm, the whole bike shakes pretty violently. When slipping the clutch it feels like it's chattering in a way. It's somewhat reminiscent of riding a big single at low rpm's where it smoothes itself out after picking up some revs, as above that 5000 rpm mark it runs like a little sewing machine, happily riding along at 120 km/h in sixth with close to zero vibrations.
    All the gears shift smoothly and neutral is always easy to find. Zero clutch slip.
    Do these engines have a balancer shaft system? Chain or gear driven?
    I'm thinking of diving into the clutch, see if it has issues with the springs maybe explaining that chattering.

Anyways, thoroughly impressed by this quarter litre, can't wait to get it to run smoothly!
    Cheers

NX250.jpg
    JohnnyC555, scrambler66 and PTC like this.
  3. travial

travial Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Mr Kraabs Funky colors on that one, I like it. Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum. Have you tried adjusting the clutch cable to make certain it's engaging all the way? There's a collar nut on the hand lever and also adjustment nuts on the clutch cable bracket on the engine. I personally like to set it to start engaging around the first 1/4 to 1/3 of the lever release, but it doesn't matter where as long as you get full engagement by the time the lever's all the way out. It does have a gear driven balancer shaft if I remember correctly, but that shouldn't be the issue if it runs smoothly over 5k.
  4. PTC

PTC Turd polisher

Oddometer:
    This bike NEEDS to rev. Lower than 35-4000 they aren’t happy at all. im going to guess the carbs gummed up and isn’t properly fueling at part throttle. The clutch is a Cush drive and is prone to a “knocking” noise at idle and low rpm. Engage the clutch slightly In neutral and see if it goes away? I’m told this is due to stretched rivets in the basket. Mines had this noise since I bought it at 5k. Never an issue just annoying. An inspection showed no looseness when I was in there, but I’m sure those rivets are stronger than my hands.
    Nice ride. And welcome!
  5. tneer3

tneer3 n00b

Oddometer:
    That's more good info PTC. Thank you! Upon hearing my NX start for the first time I was worried about the subtle knock you describe at low RPMs. I wish I had got the RPMs up rather than shut it down as I did. I shut down and thought I would check the valve clearances but I have no experience doing so on the NX. Part of me is just thinking I'll skip that and learn that lesson later. I'll finish the carb rebuild, give her an oil change, and get it back on the road keeping the revs up. That should happen this weekend or next. I'll give it a close listen and maybe even post a video for others to hear.

When I do get to checking my valve clearances, any tips on that? I have a service manual coming in the mail but thought Id ask the brain trust too. TIA
  6. Honda Scoot

Honda Scoot Time To Ride

Oddometer:
    Good Karma on this thread!
    @valvecrusher did you put those boxes of parts to good use last decade?
  7. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi scrambler, I'm happy to take care of that. I will order right now and PM with shipping options once I have the items.

-Bill
    valvecrusher, travial, tneer3 and 2 others like this.
  9. travial

travial Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, the last two weekends I went riding in the Daniel Boone National Forest in Kentucky, lot's of really nice trails up there, and the NX kept up with the KTM's just fine for the most part :) I highly recommend the GSF600 shock upgrade and the CRF230 fork springs for trail riding, no bottoming out at all the entire time. I'm in dire need of a skid plate though, the stock one is currently beat to hell and hanging on by a thread, and I'm tired of plastic welding the thing back together. Any good options available?

20200919_162300463_iOS.jpg 20200919_211717303_iOS.jpg 20200920_180113960_iOS.jpg 20200926_173032069_iOS.jpg 20200926_192711696_iOS.jpg 20200927_142911592_iOS.jpg 20200927_145929090_iOS.jpg 20200927_164804924_iOS.jpg 20200927_170052262_iOS.jpg PXL_20200927_142651309.jpg

And here's a video of me looping out the NX on a hill and busting my taillight into 100 pieces. Not my proudest moment. Anyone know of another place to get a taillight besides WeMoto.com? They seem to be out of stock at the moment.
  10. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you can make the tail light internals work, there's a bunch of lenses on ebay.
  11. JohnnyC555

JohnnyC555 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would there be anyone interested in a luggage rack for those missing the OEM? I designed this up for a buddy's NX250 and didn't know if there'd be any value for anyone else. Or does anyone have any design recommendations? I have some metal fab suppliers from my last job that I think could laser this out pretty easily and bend.

Thoughts?

NX250 luggage rack.JPG
    scrambler66 and Spurlock like this.
  12. JohnnyC555

JohnnyC555 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What do you think of this very rough draft? Can you tell I'm avoiding doing my real work today?
    120288195_3467327440054627_8535072469080373826_n.png
    PTC, scrambler66 and travial like this.
  13. Johnnyfever

Johnnyfever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a definite need for one. No vx skidplate worldwide right now. Depending on price, i would buy one.
    JohnnyC555 likes this.
  14. JohnnyC555

JohnnyC555 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Johnny, good name btw!

My CAD is SUPER rusty since I haven't done any kind of real CAD work since college, and that was 7 years ago. If anyone has recommendations or ideas to implement with the rack or skidplate, I'd love to hear it.
  15. Zic00

Zic00 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys! Little update with my coolant leak. Looks like a new radiator cap did the job. The bike even ran a little better, haha and bro I'd definitely buy both of those! Please keep us updated.
    PTC likes this.
  16. Pepel_PR

Pepel_PR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys! Take a look some photo from Krymea

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  17. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great idea - a sturdy aluminum engine guard is exactly what we need :clap. A few decades ago, the Marlboro Rally's NX250s had such a guard. Unfortunately I only have these pictures. The protection should be pulled further to the side so that above all the housing of the water pump is protected.

[​IMG]

I have a few more ideas for the brackets. The original upper holder at the frame is too weak for a stable aluminum protection. So it's better to attach with the bolt above. Or you can use the bracket of the motor housing. The engine protection could then be attached with a U-shaped bracket.

[​IMG]

I had a self-made engine guard on my NX250 back in the 90s. It was darn ugly and heavy - IMHO it should be as small and light as possible.

[​IMG]
    JohnnyC555, PTC and Spurlock like this.
  18. Hagaviking

Hagaviking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dear all, boy was i lucky today, during work i was by a garage that some rallycross drivers was moving out off, saw this and the owner just gave it to me, refused any payment. Looking forward to test it out.

But, i have a problem with my near light, full light and park is fine, but no normal running light. Was wondering if someone could help with a good way to go about this, no so good with electrical side off the bike. Tried two new bulbs, same result. All fuses good, handle bar switch seems good, wire problem.?

Best regards

V

Attached Files:

19. Pepel_PR

Pepel_PR Adventurer

Oddometer:

This CAP should be 1.1!!!

[​IMG]
  20. Reverand Hope

Reverand Hope Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a definite market for a sturdy, lightweight sump guard for the NX/AX1. The AX1 is popular in Greece and the far east, so I guess you'd market it via Farcebook and related forums. If you were more inclined to have a small batch made up based on pre sales, then there'd be less risk. Figure out a realistic price for both the sump guard and rear rack and see what the response is like. On the rear rack, I'd be tempted to put a couple of slotted tangs on the back edge as well.
    JohnnyC555 likes this.