NY to South America on a XT250 - KAPOW!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by motopoet, Oct 29, 2016.

1. motopoet

motopoet The Moto Poet

Oddometer:
    I started a Trip Planing thread HERE (so be sure to read that first :) and will now embark on this funky trip. Hop on the inter web and join me as I discover new places along the way.

Big shout out to the following people, who I started following as they traveled around the globe, and ended up contacting and nagging for planning tips, travel advise, and general sane things to do while on the road. All of you have contributed immensely in making a dream come true, thank you.

Junyah from A Yankee Goes South
    Azure and Roel from My Ticket To Ride
    Vicmitch from Brooklyn to Argentina On a Salvaged Victory
    Pat from www.2ridetheglobe.com

If you haven't, make sure you read their blogs and Ride Reports, they are filled with invaluable advise, experiences, and most of all fun! (click names to go to their reports)

And all the influenecers out there who keep inspiring people like me to take the leap of adventure, you guys rock!

I will post some general budget stats as I move along in an effort to help those following in my footsteps. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions, concerns or complaints :)

Also, I like jokes!
    nocturnalist, Huck369 and Cmnthead like this.
  2. motopoet

motopoet The Moto Poet

Oddometer:
    -----()()()----- DAY 1 -----()()()-----
    I left Westchester NY at around 9. Then I went back home.

[​IMG]

You see, I was originally planning to leave on Thursday the 27th but due to a combination of procrastination , horrible weather, and a last minute cold I ended up leaving on Friday the 28th instead. Once I had left I realized I still had to run a couple of errand, so all things considered I officially left at 10am

My plan was to head to Austin, TX as quick as possible (3 - 4 days) where I would meet Pat from www.2ridetheglobe.com who has provided great insight in planning the tip as he has gone around half of the world on the same XT250, and fellow inmate SkizzMan who I’ve been chatting to in regards to crossing into Mexico and happens to be friends with Pat. That WAS the plan. Although I didn’t want to rush through any parts, I felt like I could ride around the US whenever I wanted, but not Mexico and Central America so the more time spent there, the better. This decision took me for ride (you see what I did there, huh? Do you?) on a gruesome 12 hour day to Virginia – all on an interstate :(

[​IMG]

Soon after leaving NY I discovered, the hard way, that I need to shut my heated grips well before turning the bike off, otherwise the battery is toast and I need to perform CPR. So I had to do that 3 times before figuring out that it was the grips - Thankfully I carry one of those Micro Starters from Antigravity Batteries, and it was just a matter of open up, clamp and jump.

Oh and by the way, I forgot to mention that right when I left home, I went to the one gas station that had a broken trigger stopper, which lead to a fountain of gas that decorated my gear with an unforgettable smell for many hours to come. Anyhow….

[​IMG]

Stopped at a random pizza place somewhere in NJ. I really wanted an egg sandwich even though it was lunch time, but since I saw a deli sign under the Pizza one I went right in. Well guess what? No egg sandwiches – what kind of deli doesn’t have egg sandwiches?! I guess that’s a New Yorker’s problem. Pizza was simple but took care of the hunger issue and off I went.

[​IMG]

My estimated time of arrival was 630 but with all of the above mentioned “hiccups” GPS had me at 9:00 PM – let me spell it out NINE PEE EMM. Thankfully fellow inmate Raz65man was very patient and waited for me. And then I got a flat tire, woohooo!

Sorry no picture, I was pass pissed off.

Ended up making it to Raz’s house at 10:00 PM where he was waiting with a fresh pot of homemade venison chili and corn bread, and boy was I hungry. Delicious food sir, thank you!

[​IMG]

Raz has a couple of dogs, Ior and Ru (spelling?), who were kind of scared at first but then warmed up to me and just wanted to play, unfortunately I only got a picture of Ru who as you can tell, will try to convince you that she is the sweetest dog alive!

[​IMG]

And that’s why it WAS the plan. Now I will take my time, enjoy the ride, and hopefully will make it to Mexico by next year, if not that’s ok I’ll go back and eat more chili and hang out with my new dog friends (And Raz I guess :)

Lesson learned: Don’t push your body beyond the necessary, you will regret it when you try to go to sleep, and your back doesn’t let you in retaliation for being 12 hours on the road.

Stats:

Miles Today: 450
    Gas: $14.32
    Food/snaks: $9.46
    Tolls: $1.00 (and maybe one I "didn't see" that was $.50)
    Flats: 1
    Larry321, Huck369, superminoh and 5 others like this.
  3. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, that's a good start. Now slow down and enjoy your trip. :p3rry
    Phillip
    motopoet and randypower like this.
  4. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The pics aren't showing for me, but great start to your journey.

Later
    John
    El Chorizo and motopoet like this.
  5. Turk34

Turk34 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good start... Hope to see u at South... Best wishes from Panajachel, Guatemala....
    El Chorizo and motopoet like this.
  6. motopoet

motopoet The Moto Poet

Oddometer:
    :rofl I will try heheheh, thanks for following!
  7. motopoet

motopoet The Moto Poet

Oddometer:
    Hey John, that's weird, you are the second person having issues with images. Im hosting on Goolge Drive and linking, will look into it!

Thanks for following :)
  8. motopoet

motopoet The Moto Poet

Oddometer:
    Hey Turk, thank you, hope your adventure is doing well, I'll continue to follow as I travel South!
  9. BMWNoob

BMWNoob n00b

Oddometer:
    If you find yourself in Reno, NV you have a place to stay and a cold beer. Cheers :photog
    motopoet likes this.
  10. mesoman

mesoman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a GREAT first day, especially considering the "distractions". :thumbup Micro thingy a good move!
    Another bit of advice (probably been given?) is chain and sprockets. Many get side lined from inattention to their driveline. Hopefully you're starting with a NEW quality chain/sprockets.
    I prefer X ring DID, top of the line one, OEM or JT sprockets.
    To extend (in a major way) your chain life, changing out front sprocket early (at 8K to 10K miles) will really help your chain last. Getting quality Japanese chain down south would be a challenge. Make yours last. Front sprockets are cheap. I would carry TWO spares. (small).

Your heated grips best if wired to a "switched" circuit ... so that when Ignition is OFF, Grips are off. No brainer. You must be on a NON Switched circuit which means even if ignition is OFF,
    grips can still operate unless control switch is OFF. too easy to forget. (yes, been there, done that).
    Good luck, ride safe! :beer
    motopoet likes this.
  11. bananaboy

bananaboy aHappyMoron

Oddometer:
    Exciting start - will be an exciting trip!
    Get down to Austin quickly ... weather is perfect for riding.
    Best of luck.
    koh kood and motopoet like this.
  12. Turk34

Turk34 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave, Trip is going well. We are having fun and exploring new things almost every day. Safe ride and hope to meet u in S. America
    motopoet likes this.
  13. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    You've done one days ride and eaten a bowl of chili. ....

What's up your sleeve now?

You said you like jokes.....:jack
    motopoet likes this.
  14. PDublYu

PDublYu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I should've warned you about the lack of charging output on the little XT250...yes, it will charge back up fine if you shut the heated grips off about 5 minutes before stopping. Also, try not to ride with the grips at 100% all the time (switch them back to 50% now and then if you are using the Oxford Heaterz...that will help).
    Enjoy the ride south. I'm headed to East Texas for a day or two on my Super Tenere, but will be back Wednesday latest. Hope to see you this week, but take it slow and enjoy the ride.
    Cheers,
    Pat
    www.2RideTheGlobe.com
    randypower and motopoet like this.
  15. Stromtom

Stromtom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, good chatting with you DC. I'm signed on. Now, slow down, relax, enjoy the journey. That said, I'm frantically throwing stuff in bags...
    motopoet likes this.
  16. Motor 1

Motor 1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    motopoet likes this.
  17. Pedersoli

Pedersoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2011 XT250. Great bike, I will be following your report.
    motopoet likes this.
  18. Chiriqui Charlie

Chiriqui Charlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also have an XT250, and think it is the perfect bike for CA.
    I have never even attempted a 500 mile day! Slow down and enjoy the trip. I like to check into a hotel well before dark, rest a bit, then go out to eat and walk around the town a bit.
    Your bike looks over loaded! Compare what you are carrying to John Downs, he got along just fine with a whole lot less.
    Look my up when you get close to Panama.
    randypower and motopoet like this.
  19. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I'll tag along. Enjoy the ride!
    motopoet likes this.
  20. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Soooooo.... Day 2 update?
    :hmmmmm
    goodcat likes this.