1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

NYC Quarantine DR650 mucking around

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by GHO100, May 6, 2020.

1. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    This will be a thread I'm going to maintain with respect to my second dirt bike, a 2002 DR650. A number of years ago, I had a 2006 KLX250S, bought from a friend so I could do some dirt riding, but at the time, the prospect of spending 4+ hours loading a dirtbike in my truck and driving someplace to go get exhausted and dirty didn't seem like the thing I wanted to be doing with my spare time, and the bike went on to the next good friend.

Fast forward a few years later, a lot of bikes under my butt come and gone, and a lot more travel.

Desires change, motivations change... I still love riding, and really long for doing some more multiple day trips on my GS, but I found inspiration with an organization that held a presentation at one of the local repair garages in my area. They run a rally/fundraiser to get motorcycles out to park rangers in remote parts of the world where resources might be scarce, but the needs are great. Its called Rally for Rangers (https://rallyforrangers.org/).

Quick summary, you raise some money, then fly to somewhere, and drive a brand new dirtbike out to a remote location on a 8dayish rally to deliver it. Hopefully not broken.

Here's where the DR comes in. I might have a few hundred thousand miles under my butt, but I'm severely lacking in off-road skills. Probably a lot of other skills as well, to be fair. I set out to find myself a good beater. While I was trying to find a 250, more akin to what I'd be riding if I signed up for this rally, I honestly couldn't find one in my price range. (That means cheaper than any reasonable person should expect to pay for anything. Its just a habit...)

Enter the 2002 DR650. Bought from an inmate (Thanks!!) with an aftermarket tank, trail tech vapor, skidplate, new front tire, and a box of other assorted goodies.

I do work on my own bikes myself, and have yet to tackle a top end rebuild on my own. so this being a beater bike, has also become a shop-skills test bike.

On the list of things to do which I've set out for myself:

• Top end rebuild with new rings and gaskets
    • Valve check
    • Carb rebuild (haven't done one of those in a while!)
    • Neutral sending unit fix
    • Countershaft seal retainer
    • New front and rear tires
    • Brake maintenance
    • 7.5w fork oil and preload adjustment
    • new handlebar
    • new grips and levers
    • new exhaust
    • rewire the trail tech and figure out what the mystery wires do
    • Fuel filter mod / airbox mod
    • clean the dirty bits, grease the bearings
    • probably some more cleaning
    And here it is! (no name yet)

[​IMG]
    AK650 and JagLite like this.
  2. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    First things first was to start taking it apart. It did turn over, and started pretty hesitantly. The PO had moved, lots of things going on, so it sat outside for about a good 10-11 months. Not a very harsh winter in NYC this year, but its still winter.

Rusty:
    [​IMG]

Cracked:
    [​IMG]

Dirty:
    [​IMG]

Duct tape?
    [​IMG]

Tasty looking white stuff:
    [​IMG]

Well loved:
    [​IMG]

"Patina"
    [​IMG]

Zippity ZAP:

[​IMG]

This is where gremlins multiply:
    [​IMG]
  3. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    Getting to work on engine removal:

[​IMG]

Now, the manual says it comes out on the "LEFT SIDE OF THE BIKE" (I originally said right, the manual says left; right side is correct)
    [​IMG]

I can confirm, it does not. but, it does come out!
    [​IMG]
  4. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    Time to get into the bits:

The PO warned me this has a leak near the camshaft, and I think I can see why. There's a lot of RTV here, some in passages I don't think its supposed to be in:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    A lot of that work was done over the course of the last month, but I've been spending some more time in the garage getting things done.

The photos from here might be a bit less, because honestly I forgot to take them.

I ordered new rings and a full gasket set, and yesterday finished up putting the engine back together, stopping just short of the valve check. One of the gaskets didn't align 100% correctly, but pretty easily fixable without removing too much material.

The camshaft tensioner gasket was another story. That fucker was melted/glued/married to the engine case. It took about 45 minutes just to get that surface clean for the replacement gasket.

Some pre-cleaning pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Getting better:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    Next up:

Finish the valve check, put the engine back where I found it.
    JagLite likes this.
  7. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just bought an 02 myself. I know your a little bit away from it, but check out the Tusk DSport tires. They are a great deal and excellent tires.
    AK650, JagLite and GHO100 like this.
  8. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    this all I am seeing of your pictures
    The Blob.png
  9. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
  10. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't see pics either.

Seems like a fun project.

I'm working on an engine (little bit bigger) and was curious what you are using to clean the outside of the engine.

Good luck!!
  11. Yella DR

Yella DR Let's go! Supporter

Oddometer:
    No pics to see ,so can't tell if you've lowered pegs or not. Ifs not there's JNS engineering for some. Then I got some big ebay billet foot pegs that needed some filing to fit
    Lots of well made goodies there - I've got their chain guard, all 3 aux light mounts and kick stand big foot.
    Also have the Gen 1 led headlight kit which now resides in my sons DRZ400 SM and Gen 2 that lights up my world.
    And last butt not least a Seats Concepts foam and gripper cover.
    So much more can be changed to fit you but get out and ride once its running and enjoy
    JagLite likes this.
  12. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    Photos should be all fixed now.

I do have a seat concepts seat on, and lowered footpegs!
  13. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right side of the bike refers to as you sit on it, not as you look at it.
    JagLite likes this.
  14. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    Yeah, just an orientation mistake from me in the writeup. I corrected it above, the manual says, and shows, the engine coming out of the LEFT side. Which I tried, but it goes out the other side

Annotation 2020-05-06 182359.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  15. jdaniele

jdaniele Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When are we riding already. Nice work george. I will race you on this.

Attached Files:

JagLite likes this.
  16. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you following on the big DR650 thread?
    Do you have the link to the updated PDF manual with all the mistakes pointed out and corrected?
    Well, duh, of course not or you would have known the left side removal was an error left over from the pre-96 DR650.
    I don't remember where the pdf manual is located at the moment...
    Check on DRRiders as I know it is a thread there.

Many of us tried to remove the engine out the left side 'cause that's what the manual says!
    I have 2 2002 DR650's. I think it was a very good year for motorcycle sales...
    Your bike will look so much better after your cleanup!
    And I can second the Tusk tire recommendation, I am impressed.
    AK650 and GHO100 like this.
  17. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:

Thanks for the thread recommendation. I have been on there a bit, but its so long that its a bit overwhelming. I have bookmarked the BTS-40 bible thread though, so I'm following that one.

I'll hop over to DDRriders and poke around... I'm not registered on there yet. In the past I've done bike-specific forums, but I end up on here most of the time anyway. Better crowd of miscreants.
  18. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree, I spend most of my online time here at adv.
    The big DR thread here is almost impossible to keep up with, especially now with so many inmates home in lockdown.
    DRRiders is where I go for specific bike information when searching for posts already existing.
    The big DR thread here is where I post a question when I hope for quick replies and almost always there are many helpful replies in minutes.
    AK650 and GHO100 like this.
  19. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    Getting a bit more work done on the DR this weekend.

Finished the valve check, cleaned the starter motor and replaced the gasket, and installed the generator cover with a new gasket. Those bolts were pretty cruddy, but cleaned up well.

I managed to notice that the countershaft seal retainer was already installed, so one less thing I have to do! That whole side of the case was black with dirt and filth, so it has taken a while to clean up.

Next up is the neutral sending unit bolt fix, and then the carb rebuild.
    AK650 likes this.
  20. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    Today I tackled the neutral sending unit bolts, which need loctite.

That part was easy. The gasket was unbearable though. Took hours with a brush, razor blade and 220g sandpaper to get the old on off. Unreal.

I also got into the carb, which seems to be missing the needle valve. Lots of reading to do on the bts40 Bible thread. IMG_20200511_134939.jpg IMG_20200511_134944.jpg IMG_20200511_154036.jpg IMG_20200511_154044.jpg IMG_20200511_154057.jpg IMG_20200511_154104.jpg IMG_20200511_154110.jpg IMG_20200511_154116.jpg IMG_20200511_154324.jpg
    JagLite and AK650 like this.