1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

NYC to Yellowstone on a Tracer

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by spling, Sep 21, 2020.

1. spling

spling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's been a while since I posted a ride report and this is my 2nd on the site.

Due to the covid situation, many people including myself have been mentally affected and I feel like I needed to get outside of NYC and recover. Fortunately I've accomulated a bunch of vacation days and decided I should use them on a trip.

My plan is to hit Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, Lambeau Field, HD, Mount Rushmore, Mammoth caves as well as some other states I haven't visited in under 2 weeks (~ estimating around 10 days).

In terms of my ride, I've setup a Tracer 900 with a custom hand cut short windscreen from my old FZ6, heated grips, my trusty older Givia Maxia 3 (55L top case and saddle bags) NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 20 2020_DSC01415_ .jpg

Here's a short list of the gear that I'm bringing:
    laptop, 2x RX100 Cameras, Sony Action Camera, Leyzne microfloor High volumme pump with gauge, generic electronic tire pressure gauge I got from amazon, pliers, plug kit, latex gloves, extra zip ties, muitlple microUSB cables and charger 2x power banks. 17mm socket and socket wrench (thinking about changing my oil on the way).
    Kreiga R25 Backpack
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 19 2020_DSC01414_ .jpg

Protective gear:
    4x pairs of gloves (Aerostitch elkskin gloves, alpine stars SP1 (touch screen), Revit insulated gloves (touch screen), Cortech Scarab)
    Scuberth C4 with SC1 Advance
    Motoport kevlar overpants
    Aether Skyline Jacket
    Dainese Leather Jacket
    Fluorescent rain jacket and pants (Not in pic)
  2. spling

spling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1st day: Brooklyn to Gary ID.
    Day1_NYC_Gary_ID.PNG

I started the day a bit late as I didn't get a Givi top case adapter (E251), until that morning as it was delayed a few days due to the wild fires/covid last week. Originally I ordered the same part "like new" from Amazon, however it was covered with mud and missing 3x of the 4x rubber grommets.

obiligatory Pre-trip pic
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 20 2020_DSC01417_ .jpg

Nothing really exciting today except doing a 800+ mile day and being happy that I was able to get outside of NYC traffic. Travelling through PA is quite underrated and they have lots of nice mountains/scenary in the Pocanos area.

I should have taken some pictures but I got to the hotel after 12:30AM and was pretty beat up from doing 800+ miles

Pic of my setup of trying to have a camera/phone and EZ Pass strapped down. NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 21 2020_DSC01425_ .jpg

Attached Files:

3. spling

spling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 2: Gary ID to Fargo:
    Day2_Gary_ID-to-Fargo.PNG

After getting stuck in Nasty Chicago traffic for 1.5h I was able to make it to the HD Museum, which was pretty nice imo, but a bit overpriced at $22. The Museum grounds was very impressive in terms of landscaping. Unfortunately I parked in the wrong motorcycle parking section which is past the gates and in front of the building.
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 21 2020_DSC01437_ .jpg

I kind of like this pic
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 21 2020_DSC01434_ .jpg

Lambeau Field, which was much prettier in person.
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 21 2020_DSC01592_ .jpg

On the way to Minnesota I had this amazing view of the sun cutting through the clouds and creating this cool gradient. Unfortunately I couldn't safely pull over to the side but got this pic which didn't do it justice. The clouds where kind of a rainbowisih color.
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 21 2020_DSC01604_ .jpg

Also stopping by the George Floyd Memorial which wasn't in one of the safest parts of town. I noticed a bunch of homeless people in that area as well as youths hanging out over there. There was also a sign what said only resident's allowed. Being the wuss that I am and seeing some youth, I just took pics from a distance and didn't get close. NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 21 2020_DSC01627_ _1.jpg

NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 21 2020_DSC01633_ _1.jpg

NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 21 2020_DSC01620_ .jpg

Attached Files:

4. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this great report spling. Can't wait to see the rest of it. What was the time frame? I'm a displaced Brooklynite myself, now in the Hudson Valley but formerly of Canarsie and Clinton Hill ( Pratt '91) .
  5. MongoLikeCandy

MongoLikeCandy Long timer

Oddometer:
    you and the rest of the nation. we just got back from a 3 week, 7 state moto-tour and the roads, parks, spaces were fucking PACKED with fire and covid refugees....while we normally take off to Italy, Spain, ect for sept/oct....no can do as they are not letting in us covid sloppy americans...thanks admin.

with that free "buy now, pay later" .gov covid checks popping in JohnQ's mailbox .... virtual employees and all those screaming dirty small vectors home schooling on their laptops....the outdoors is just a complete shitshow right now....key word here is "dispersed camping on BLM Land"....look it up on the inno-netz...stay clear of the national park systems, .gov has it completely fucked up and mismanaged.... real bummer trying to find some quiet space void of the heavy mouth breathing, jiggling, squirming, wheezing, farting belching, sweating masses of middle Americans. ugh....italy we really miss you.

yep. you will need all that...get a roll of shop towels to...and a can of engine degreaser....dont ask, just do it.

which/what leyzne pump are you taking? be specific please....also....what is a "tire pressure cause"???

also...install 90° valve stems or better yet buy this 90° clip on chuck.....ask me why....

https://bestrestproducts.com/shop/c...pedition-tire-inflator/90-valve-stem-clip-on/

uhhhh....."ok"

I have a list of bring, dont bring again items if intetested...or you can create your own.
    JoeBiker25 and Sal Pairadice like this.
  6. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Not to hijack, but the wife and I just moto toured Acadia National Park and there was effing nobody there and clear skies.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  7. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    its in Maine. no one goes there anyway. (which is why Maine is awesome)
  8. multiphrenic

multiphrenic Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    are you the same guy sitting in traffic looking around wondering why all the other cars are on the road, forgetting that you’re part of traffic too?
  9. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:

haha, you wish.

I don't sit in traffic like the rest of those idiots....and if i get caught out, (like I did coming back from dainese corporate in the OC last month), I wait it out on the beach having rolled tacos with an old mate, then its #teslaautopilot home.

#tesla
    #priusv
    #carpoollane
    #lanesplitwithmotos
    #bicycletooffice
    #officeisamilefromhome
    #workwhereilive
    #secrettoLAcommutingissurfacestreetsneverusethefreeway
    #anyotherstoopidquestions
    JoeBiker25 likes this.
  10. spling

spling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took 2 weeks of vacation, so I'd have to get back by then. My goal is to finish it in 10 days.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  11. spling

spling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I corrected the post and the pump is the following: leyzne micro floor drive high volume pump with gauge. It's a very light pump around 130g and works pretty decently. I would prefer the gauge to be a bit more accurate, however regret not bringing my Tusk Pro Caliber Tire Pressure gauge (which has the valve at 90 degrees and doesn't require batteries). The tire gauge I brought was tekton digital tire gauge, which worked before i left, but it looks like the battery is a bit wonky. Oh well, I can get something from a store.
  12. Oilleaker

Oilleaker Ne’er do well tinkerer Supporter

Oddometer:
    684E0154-70B9-4AAB-81BF-EEDB79645566.jpeg
    Looks like you brake master cylinder would work as well as mine for the ezpass. Two zip ties compressing the Velcro, no velcro on cover. Never moves but you can pull it off in a hurry for the less sensitive scanners with gates (bear mountain bridge) wave it around til it works, throw it in your pocket, and stick it right back in at next stop. Might make room for another luxury accessory like a cup holder(mines a huffy from the walmart bicycle section). Safe travels
  13. spling

spling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 3: Fargo to Billings
    Day3_Fargo_to_Billings.PNG

Today was quite a bit more reasonable riding with having to travel around 600 miles. Having a bit more time I changed to my leather jacket as I always wanted to weather a leather jacket while touring (and will switch back to textile if it might rain)

After back to back 800+ mile days i decided to check my air pressure and saw that the front tire was a bit less than expected (31.5 PSI, and pumped it up a bit). The Leyzne air pump below has a gauge which isn't that accurate, (as it's range is 0-100psi) and I'd say it's within 5psi, which is probably sufficient for emergencies. Note: this is specifically designed for bicycles, but I like the small size and light weight (130g) and doesn't require power (less things can go wrong. One thing I do dislike is that the black bleeder button is pretty easy to press when attaching it onto the tire valve and it would be nicer if the pressure gauge range was 0-50psi, instead of around 100.
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 22 2020_DSC01650_ .jpg

Close of gauge
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 22 2020_DSC01649_ .jpg

Starting in ND I visited Theodore Roosevelt National Park (Southern End and did the scenic drive).

I did see my first Bison and Prarie Dog.
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 22 2020_DSC01677_ .jpg

NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 22 2020_DSC01695_ .jpg

A scenic drive from the south end of Theodore Rosevelt National Park
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 22 2020_DSC01716_ .jpg

Overall riding across ND was pretty flat and didn't get interested until I hit the badlands which were close to MT.

A scenic overview
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 22 2020_DSC01775_ .jpg

Another nice view from the national park. The badlands are in the background.
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 22 2020_DSC01758_ .jpg

A good thing about Montana is that the speed limit is 80mph. Perhaps the highest in the country. This was quite nice compared to travelling 6mph in NYC.
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 22 2020_DSC01791_ .jpg

I also really like my camera. A Sony RX100 M7, which imo is one of the best if not the best travel camera as it has a 24 to 200 mm lens, which is really change. My spare camera is an older RX100 M2 as a beater camera as I might try to mount it on my handlebars to take pics.

Attached Files:

14. spling

spling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Updating thread as I have better internet access:

The route was from Billings to West Yellowstone and I went down Beartooth highway which imo was the best road I've ever ridden.

Day4_Bilings_to_West_Yellowstone.PNG

I did get within 10-15 feet of a bison and walked to the other side of the road because I'm not Crocodile Dundee or survivor man.

View attachment 2562126

Originally I was planning to go to Glacier National Park, however I cancelled my plans as it was raining and snowing this week with 45-65mph winds. They also closed parts of the road to covid and didn't want to wait 3-5 days for it to better. There was a large cold front these past couple of days.

Some other pics:

Old faithful, kind of overrated imo and I had to wait 90min
    View attachment 2562057

Morning glory pool. Since I time to burn I ran here, which was over a mile away from old faithful and made it just in time when it erupted.
    View attachment 2562055

My poor mirror :(. Good thing the crash bars saved me. On a side note I got a universal mirror later and the MF who installed it scratched my display which would cost $120. argggh I wonder if anyone knows how to remove a deep scratch and I next time I'll put a screen protector. The guy at the motorsports dealership did agree that my kickstand moved a bit more and it could be a slightly worn shoulder bolt as he tried to tighten the nutG and couldn't
    View attachment 2562050

Grand Prismatic Springs
    View attachment 2562118

Also for some reason I appear to be like a newb and can't attach fullsized pics like in my previous posts.
  15. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Back to back 800+ mile days is impressive. Are you prepping for an iron butt ride? Keep posting :thumb
  16. spling

spling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Newer Day 4: post with pics

10 to 15 feet within Bison
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 23 2020_DSC02186_ .jpg

NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 23 2020_DSC01848_ .jpg

Grand Prismatic Springs
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 23 2020_DSC02222_ .jpg

Moring Glory Pool
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 23 2020_DSC02020_ .jpg

My Poor mirror:( . On a side note I did get a replacement in Cody WY however the guy who installed it scratched my Display. argggh as it'd cost $120 to replace that unless I can find a way to remove that scratch. Details in later post.
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 23 2020_DSC01837_ .jpg

Elks don't give af in mammoth hot springs area. I thought there was a celebrity or something as everyone was staring and trying to take pics:
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 23 2020_DSC01903_ .jpg

Nice Critter on Beartooth
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 23 2020_DSC01813_ .jpg

View attachment 2562142
  17. spling

spling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Adding pic of Old faithful, which was overrated imo. I had time to burn so I ran to the morning glory pool:
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 23 2020_DSC02005_ .jpg

Old Faithful
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 23 2020_DSC02138_ .jpg
    NYC_to_Yellowstone_Sep 23 2020_DSC02068_ .jpg

I didn't get a chance to upload my pics from the previous day and will do that later.
    Ginger Beard and chudzikb like this.
  18. spling

spling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 5: West Yellowstone to Gilette (The best a man can...). I kind of like this town as accommodations were cheap, fast internet and the biggest walmart I've ever been to.

I went to the Grand Prismatic spring overlook (from fairy trails) and got a new mirror (replacement from Cody, WY, where the dude scratched my LCD :(. I also redid beartooth highway which wasn't that much fun as there were too many slow cars in the way and they were doing construction :(. on a side note: the route through Burgess Junction is super underrated and fun with lots of twisties but too bad I didn't take any pics. I'll upload pics later tonight and add to this post.

Day5_West_Yellowstone_to_Gillete.PNG
  19. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    I was within a few feet of this guys woman...guy next to me was much stoopider than I was he was within inches (they walked over to us, but regardless) ... I was waiting, hoping it would happen, stoopid germans....just for the spectial....but alas it didn't

20200911_101241.jpg
    9w6vx likes this.
  20. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    how was the traffic in yellowstone? We timed our entrance the Thursday after Labor Day and it was like it was Labor Day! crazy amount of people. it didn't matter...... I'm curious how your experience was.

looking at your picture I wish I had gone to morning glory as well, that's amazing...... We went to the restaurant at old faithful and we just happened at timer unbeknownst to us just as old faithful was blowing off so there were no lines for food or to give shop soon as we finished our hot dogs old faithful was done flying and thousands of people came back to the service area restaurant shops and we got out of there just in time and continued on to Jackson Hole.... Looking forward to your grand prismatic over look..... So much to see in Yellowstone I think it would be ablast go back in winter time and tour via snowmobile and stay in yurts! Talk about being the only person in the park!

more pix!!! I took a lot there as well but it's a pain in the ass as you know to upload on via tapatalk
    guidoman likes this.