O/E 990 Tank Protectors fit 950

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by Robin Webster, May 5, 2006.

1. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    I have been trying to replace one I damaged on my 990, 7 weeks and waiting.:cry
  2. Rocco

Rocco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...about a month and a half ago from Elite Motorsports in Loveland Colorado. So yes, they are available in the USA. The grommet thing is a good idea...right now I'm just running around with a hole where I removed the nipple.

Haven't crashed with them and really don't expect them to offer total protection...but every little bit helps especially at about 11 bucks a pop.:wink:
  3. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Just fitted these to my 950. Look great!

I think they will offer reasonable protection, especially if coupled with external bars. Certainly good for covering up some battle scars.
  4. KTMandu

KTMandu Adventurer Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here are the part numbers for the tank protectors and hardware. I've ordered all of the below parts from my local dealer here in Louisiana. Took about a week to come in but I have not yet installed them. Weather has been too perfect to stop riding and work on the bike. These parts were looked up on the Cyclehutt website.
    http://cyclehuttktm.com/index.html

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>Part/Product Number </TD><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>Description </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>60107113050 </TD><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>TANK PROTECTOR R/S 06 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=center><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>Price </TD><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>$13.85

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>
    Part/Product Number

</TD><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>
    Description

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>60107013050 </TD><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>TANK PROTECTOR L/S 06 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=center><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>Price </TD><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>$13.85 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>
    Part/Product Number

Description

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>60007060000 </TD><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>BEARING BUSHING OUTSIDE 03 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=center><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>Price </TD><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>$8.66 (each side)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>
    Part/Product Number

Description

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>0912080553 </TD><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>AH SCREW DIN912 M8X55 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=center><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>Price </TD><TD class=standard-text vAlign=center align=left>$1.19 (each side)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  5. MarcMuller

MarcMuller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This info is great!....I went and bought the 2 tank protectors, shaved off the 990 fitting and glued the gromets to cover up the hole.....there's a small detail though....the 2 upper tabs don't line up at all plus, the whole protector seems to be shaped different from the tank's shape.
    What am I doing wrong? the upper tabs definetely don't line up...did you shaved them off? it seems the side cover would sit on the lip of the tank protector and keep it in place....
    Any ideas?

MM
  6. MarcMuller

MarcMuller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nevermind.....I just had to force it in place....which brings me to my next point: the fitting of the body parts with this bike sucks.

MM
  7. BAGSTR

BAGSTR BAGSTR

Oddometer:
    And when you scrape up the first pair, buy a second set and cut the mounting tabs off. Install the old scraped up set inside the new for double thickness.
  8. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do the stock 950 tank "bumpers" at the bottom mount get re-installed with the 990 tank guards? The pictures in this thread are not clear on this detail. Thanks!
  9. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried to fit these with HB crashbars as well??? {I know, I'm a "belt and suspenders" kinda guy.} :shog I like my crashbars, but the PO of my bike was able to gouge the left tank on a rock even with the bars in place.
  10. gavP

gavP Old enough to know better

Oddometer:
    Yes, would post a pic but dial up only at the moment
  11. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've found that they are a poor fit. If you line up the top tabs the bottom hole is a good inch away from where it needs to be. It's almost like it needs a large spacer of some sort.
    john_aero likes this.