O.H.I.O. - Ohio

Discussion in 'Photos' started by RiderDawg, Jul 7, 2017.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Southeast Ohio -

Back to Marietta and vicinity for a moment. Over the years as I frequent Marietta, I try to be creative and scout out different routes to or from. On that last day while traveling home from the MABDR, another new route was initially taken and I'll share a few highlights from along the way.

After perusing my Ohio map, I'd decided to depart from Marietta via Route 676, as I never had. Plus it passed through Watertown, which is a place I'd been meaning to check out.

Right off the bat, before I'd even found my way completely out of Marietta, Route 676 had delivered me to a new, unbeknownst to me, gem of a point-of-interest.

"Lookout Point" is situated right along this byway in a very quaint roadside park atop a hill that overlooks Ohio's oldest city, the confluence of the Ohio and Muskingum Rivers, and the bridge to West Virginia. Can't wait till the next evening that I spend in Marietta, as I'll make a point to try and check out the scene at sunset and also the city lights at night. Sunrise would also most likely be incredible, since the view is facing in an eastern direction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I got rolling, my route was basically 676 to 792 to 266 to 377 to 78 to 37 to 13 and then random roads to 4 which delivered me up to Bellevue and Route 20, which I then followed up and through Toledo before running the final gauntlet to Detroit.

Along the first stretch, which is what I was most interested in was: Churchtown, Watertown, and Dale. Not much of anything there, (other than some of the best riding roads and most relaxing atmosphere anywhere) but that is the charm.

Churchtown, Ohio

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Watertown, Ohio

This is actually the post office, and it appeared to be functioning.

[​IMG]

- The General Store on 676.

[​IMG]

Dale, Ohio

- These type of settings really speak to me. It says a lot about the essence of an area. You really feel the laid-back vibe in these parts. An old and very small church, with a nicely mowed lawn and picnic area setting back along a treeline. You are greeted with an inviting sign that reads: Londale Park. Welcome visitors & Locals. Take time. Picnic or just sit a spell. Park established in 1963. Courtesy of Marie & Lon Jobes.

[​IMG]

Ironically, I'd recently been thinking to myself that it has been a year or two since I had spotted a Bald Eagle, whereas I was seeing them often and in multiple states a few years ago. Then, as I was passing through Newark, Ohio - a large Bald Eagle passed right over my head and was flying very low. Right on his tail was a small bird following or chasing him.

- Near Vanatta while traversing Route 13, this old abandoned train car presented itself. Had to go inside and snoop around. It was hot out, and that musty old smell was heavy in this structure and stayed teasing my nostrils even miles down the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Passed by Ye Olde Mill; home of Velvet Ice Cream.

[​IMG]

-Even came across a worthy mural in Mt. Vernon. Ohio is full of exciting and diverse adventure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Dusk setting over Marietta - from "Lookout Point".

[​IMG]
  3. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    This past Sunday morning from "Lookout Point" on Harmar Hill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Nice ! Harmar Village.

Here is a shot of the railroad bridge walkway, crossing the Muskingum River - and linking Historic Marietta to Harmar Village. Taken Saturday.

[​IMG]
  5. TownPump

TownPump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great little ride report. New places to wander through down the road. Will be riding back down to Athens and the Wayne National Forest in September (Parents Weekend at OU) and will try some different roads.
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Ash Cave -

One nice thing about Route 56, is that it passes right through the Hocking Hills Region. Not only that, but it also delivers you right to the Ash Cave parking lot. So I stopped and hiked the path back into Ash Cave. It is an incredible place. A massive open cave with a sandy floor and a pool of water fed by a very slight waterfall. The opening between the upper rim of the cave and the forest, if observed at the right time, lets the sun's rays filter through, creating a magical effect.

[​IMG]
  7. bikeneil

bikeneil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    0035DCDA-D39C-44F2-9C56-B8515F84147B.jpeg 016557AD-6051-4C03-9684-337D4981D916.jpeg
  8. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Bellefontaine, Ohio -

Ran the interstate down to Findlay before veering off onto U.S. Route 68 south. I'd follow this nicely flowing road and enjoy some of the historic towns that it passes through along the way. Those charming towns that make you question your choice of current living arrangements.

By the time I'd reached Bellefontaine, Ohio - hunger was starting to set-in, since I left the house without eating. But, I had the foresight to stash away a sandwich in the pannier.

This is also known as Blue Jacket Town, for the famous Shawnee chief who led the "Seven Nations" in their defeat at Fallen Timbers, lived here. He was later prominent in the Treaty of Greeneville.

So, I plopped down on the sidewalk and began eating my turkey and Swiss sandwich - as a blindfolded Lady Justice stood stoically high above, with her balance and sword, behind the glass within the fascinating court house that held my undivided attention.

[​IMG]

Of course, after brunch, I had to stretch my legs along Court Avenue - which just happens to be the "Oldest Concrete Street in America". From 1891. Here started the better roads movement which has given our citizens from coast to coast swift and sure transportation. I've a couple of Bun Burner Gold's that attest to that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A statue of George Bartholomew was erected in 1991 at the head of the street to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the 1st concrete street in America. Supposedly, the paving of concrete streets in Bellefontaine, Ohio during the 1890's resulted principally from his efforts.

Almost felt like I was in Russia or something. With the statue and the European looking buildings against the drab sky.

[​IMG]

At the end of Court Street there was a coffee shop. Too early for another cup though. Maybe next time I will sample their offerings.

[​IMG]

This is what you view above and across the street from the coffee shop. I could definitely dig that vibe with my morning coffee. Small town America is wonderful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While walking around in my weird out-of-place gear, the whole time staring up at and admiring all of the impressive old architecture and taking pictures, a man with a young family called out to me, "Make sure to stop over at the shortest street in America, it's just to the left from the stop light."

Before departing Bellefontaine, had to stop over to the shortest street in America. Nothing special, but what the hell. It's the little things in life, right ? Pun intended .... I guess.

"Shortest Street in America" - McKinley Street. That's it. You are looking at all of it.

[​IMG]

Yet another point-of-interest. Man, a lot of history in this town. Better get rolling before I find more.

[​IMG]
    Umbs, drumdog, thechief86 and 5 others like this.
  9. TreasureState

TreasureState A murse posing as a freelance dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Went from the minor groove to the lagging strand

Ohio is full of that. That is one of the reasons why I miss it so much.
    Undocumented and GAS GUY like this.
  10. doc moses

doc moses fearlessly flatulent

Oddometer:
    some Ohio mud from the AHRMA MX at Sugar Grove today . Apologies for the cell phone pic. IMG_6908.JPG IMG_6871.JPG
  11. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know this has been posted before but the Sistersville Ferry that runs between Fly Ohio and Sistersville WV is always a fun and worthwhile time. It is a total throwback to a different time. The ferry sits on one side of the river waiting for a customer. If none come on his side and he sees someone waiting on the other side, he shoves off to come and get you. When I was first brought to the ferry I still lived in Pittsburgh and a riding buddy took me. I have now been on it at least a dozen times trying to take someone new each time. There is a nice little restaurant next to the Ohio side ramp. On the WV side there is a century old hotel that I have stayed at as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rick G
  12. dinkissmcgeerules

dinkissmcgeerules Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now that's the Ohio I remember. Unfortunately last time I was back home for a visit I was in some weird rocket plus chopper phase.
    TreasureState likes this.
  13. MEDIC-0372

MEDIC-0372 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Marblehead Lighthouse on Lake Erie...

IMG_0007.jpg Marblehead Lighthouse.JPG
  14. MEDIC-0372

Oddometer:
    P1030884.JPG P1030804.JPG P1030876.JPG
  15. MEDIC-0372

Oddometer:
    Grand Rapids Ohio...

P1030528.JPG P1030529.JPG P1030531.JPG
  16. freebird6

freebird6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh Yeah!
    TownPump likes this.
  17. TownPump

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Old Ohio lunatic asylum:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MickeyDee, Undocumented and GAS GUY like this.
  18. Sleepyc

Sleepyc ClevelandMoto Podcast, Tune in!

Oddometer:
    @TownPump Holy crap that's a scary photo!!!

1.jpg Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 9.34.06 AM.png
    thechief86 likes this.
  19. TownPump

Oddometer:
    That's great! I should've thought of that. LOL
    Sleepyc likes this.
  20. dinkissmcgeerules

dinkissmcgeerules Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah I grew up in Athens. Mom worked in that building when I was a kid. Should find the old pictures of my bike in front of it. Anyone here from Athens?
    Undocumented, TownPump and SFDemo like this.