O.H.I.O. - Ohio

Discussion in 'Photos' started by RiderDawg, Jul 7, 2017.

1. SFDemo

SFDemo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I was a freshman at OU (a long time ago), that was the dare hike. Try to talk one of the cuties to go with you, and then scare the panties off of her (hopefully). Never worked for me, but I didn't have game then. (only had it for a about ... that long, ever)
    TownPump likes this.
  2. doc moses

doc moses fearlessly flatulent

Oddometer:
    Somewhere south east of Athens at Poston grocery. I have to thank and hold up the Athens Motorcycle club for a hoot of an Adventure ride last Saturday. (yes, my bike, my wife's top case) The 140 some mile route twisted, turned and treated us to to roads I did not know even existed. If you can hold up a bike, you can finish an Adventure ride; I encourage all of you to take advantage of the next one AMC puts on. IMG_7979[1].JPG
    MickeyDee, drumdog and TownPump like this.
  3. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    drumdog, MickeyDee and TownPump like this.
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
  5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MickeyDee likes this.
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    MickeyDee and drumdog like this.
  7. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Archives - (Fall 2015)

First stop was Hune Bridge and Hune Bridge Campground.

[​IMG]

The picture is taken from the camping area. The houses and barns that you see in the background are on Route 26. We turned off 26, riding a dirt road to and through the Bridge, then dropping down to the small rustic and also free campground. Very sweet area. Some really nice gravel and dirt roads in this area also. Upon leaving, we came across a couple of Thumpers who had come down from Columbus and were exploring the gravel roads. They were smiling ear to ear, ecstatic about the rustic roads. Understandable, considering Ohio is mostly paved.

Further North, we took another momentary detour. There was something cool at the end of this dirt road, as I recalled.

[​IMG]

Ahhh, there it is !!

[​IMG]

- Knowlton Covered Bridge -

[​IMG]

But this one can no longer be traversed. Not even by foot. It is in such a state of disrepair that it's fenced off. Last time I visited this bridge you could walk into it, but that was a good 10 years ago. There is a small camping area here also.

The Knowlton Covered Bridge was built in 1887 as a multiple-kingpost truss and arch bridge. It was also known as Long Bridge and is a three span, 192- foot bridge. Knowlton Bridge is one of the two longest covered bridges in the state. It sits high above the river on cut-stone abutments. The bridge was raised at some point to keep it above the floodwaters. It was abandoned many years ago.

[​IMG]

Back out to Route 26.

[​IMG]

More "out of this world" roads to conquer. These are a treat and not often experienced back in Michigan. Had to scrub some speed going into this one since I was one handed and trying to get a picture of Jim entering the corner behind me.:eekers

[​IMG]

Timing was off a little, but I managed to squeeze him into the picture, barely.

[​IMG]

From here, we just worked our way back towards Michigan. Stopped in Woodsfield for lunch and later on in the Amish village of Millersburg at Jitters Coffee shop for a break. An excellent and immaculate Coffee Shop that I will definitely return to. Millersburg is always a worthwhile location anyway. Before I knew it, the familiar stale air of the city welcomed me home and closed out another exciting chapter.
    RiderDawg, Chazzz, FireDog45 and 5 others like this.
  8. MEDIC-0372

MEDIC-0372 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures!!!
    GAS GUY likes this.
  9. doc moses

Oddometer:
    Toured beautiful downtown Amesville today. Being not of sound mind nor capable of staying on any one topic for more than a second or two, I noticed first, a building made of a seriously impressive variety of masonry materials, the rather handsome Federal Creek Cafe
    amesville 1.jpg

Second, while sitting on a concrete bench (and risking hemorrhoids according to my dad's formerly frequent warnings) I noticed that the walk was made of Trimble paving brick. Trimble would just be up the road none too far.

Amesville 2.jpg

And third, I just tossed in a pic of my Grom because I like it. While I was paying for gas at the fuel station in downtown Amesville (which does not have a card reader on the pump, so I had to go inside) I noticed a dude who well could have been a hold over from Athens county 1970s, (or a slightly more eccentric than usual retired OU professor) He was kind of a hippy looking guy, white hair, leather western hat... he said "what kind of mileage does that bike get?" I responded (around a hundred) and he smiled. I liked the guy. I like eccentric people. Speaking of eccentric, here's a pic with my Grom because I like the bike. It is stock except for the HRC stickies and the front mud flap I engineered (cut with tin snips) from a Dollar Tree store bucket. The Post Office is in the background.

amesville 3.jpg
  10. MEDIC-0372

MEDIC-0372 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Mattyd338

Mattyd338 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn’t grow up in Athens but certainly spent my share of time there over the years...Went to school for a while in Nelsonville. Tremendous amount of beauty in that part of the state.
    TreasureState likes this.
  12. Mattyd338

Mattyd338 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    6A48BDFF-66EF-4973-A076-1007A80F0BCE.png Lieutenant Commander Zachary Landsdowne, USN (December 1, 1888 - September 3,1925) was a US Navy officer and early Naval aviator who contribute to the development of the Navy’s first lighter-than-air craft. He earned the Navy Cross for his participation in the first transoceanic airship flight in 1919. He later commanded the USS Shenandoah (ZR-1), what was the first rigid airship to complete a flight across North America. He was killed in the crash of the Shenandoah.
    While passing through an area of thunderstorms and turbulence, the airship was caught in a violent updraft and carried beyond the pressure limits of its gas bags. It was torn apart and crashed in several pieces near Caldwell, Ohio. (Excerpt from Wikipedia)

Here is a pic of the home where he was born here in Greenville, Ohio.
  13. doc moses

Oddometer:
    Found somewhere along a nice SE Ohio road.
    9FD8EC41-7FF7-48FB-84C5-303CDF373F3C.jpeg
    TreasureState and MickeyDee like this.
  14. Chazzz

Chazzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ABA7123D-B1C4-4218-940E-A852B9A1D3B9.jpeg
    Surprised there isn’t a “flood” thread. Near Mohawk Dam Walhonding OH.
  15. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    What an amazing picture !
    TreasureState and Chazzz like this.
  16. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    20190621_215257.jpg
    TreasureState, MickeyDee and Chazzz like this.
  17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Lake Erie - (Jolly Roger's) Ride to Eat

20190621_215816.jpg

20190621_215628.jpg

20190621_213844.jpg

20190621_214528.jpg
    TreasureState, MickeyDee and Chazzz like this.
  18. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    Great photo Chazz, is that on 715?
    Chazzz likes this.
  19. Chazzz

Chazzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Indeed, just past the dam.
    TreasureState likes this.
  20. DrewPFoot

DrewPFoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TreasureState, TownPump and GAS GUY like this.