1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

O-Ring chains on trials bikes.

Discussion in 'Trials' started by charlie chitlins, May 20, 2020.

1. trials935

trials935 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dam Brewtus, now there's no way you can possibly use an o-ring chain, your bike will simply break in two from all the weight! :imaposer
    jonnyc21, Huzband and Brewtus like this.
  2. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    First Big Mac I've had in over 6 years (now I know why :umph). I think I'm safe. :thumb
    jonnyc21 and trials935 like this.
  3. trials935

Oddometer:
    I had the 2 Mcdoubles today, may not ever do that again.
    jonnyc21 and Brewtus like this.
  4. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Occasionally I will have a few Krystal cheeseburgers. They're tasty & they fill the hole. They also remind me why I don't eat them regularly.

McDonald's is worse. I'll forego the emogi.
    jonnyc21, Brewtus and trials935 like this.
  5. alpineboard

alpineboard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is about weight and performance. I rode back to back evo 300s. One had stock very light Regina chain, short life with these, but very good performance. And the other 300 had DID ERT2, a heavier non oring chain, You can feel it is not as quick as the light regina, when gabbing a handful. The ERT2 gets at least 200 hours and has barely stretched,=(sprocket life as well), can easily go another 200 hrs. on same ERT2 chain. The Light Regina, well it has a short life, but a very fun one. On Orings, more friction,= less power to rear wheel. Will stick with the ERT2!! Wipe chain/sprocket teeth clean and lube every hour ride time also helps.
    Motul 710 is Great Oil!!!!
  6. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Chain lube thead now!
    Brewtus, Norman Foley and jonnyc21 like this.
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    At 20 mph plus there is almost no power lost with an o ring chain which makes them the best product to buy 99% of the time for motorcyclists.
    Being we ride trials not trails, it is the best thing you can do if you cannot afford replacement parts.
    Being we stop and go and start again is how we ride. An o rng chain is the wrong option for trials. It causes friction, so we are losing torque due to the chain. Find me one top rider that insists on this.
    This is right up there with tall bars, bigger seat, handguards and more fuel. AND cheap old bastards.:imaposer
    Huzband, North ride and Norman Foley like this.
  8. trials935

Oddometer:
    Why buy replacement parts when a trials rider can buy a superior part once.:imaposer
  9. Vintage pro

Vintage pro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I never liked O-chain even on street bikes, did you know most road racers don't use them either.
    lineaway likes this.
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Obviously by the year of bike!

Really, I run o-rings on a few other bikes. Try to get our National Champ to run a o-ring chain. Besides the forward friction, it really sucks when trying to get the bike to roll backwards.
    jonnyc21 and trials935 like this.
  11. motomofo

motomofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many of you folks running o-ring chains have hand guards on your trials bike, too?
  12. trials935

Oddometer:
    O-ring chains are the best for this part of the country, constantly riding in mud, clay that sticks to everything, and creeks wears out a regular chain in no time. When the 348 came out with the enclosed chain tubes, that was the best invention ever! I have a couple of nos 348 tubes, I may try to retro fit them to my 4rt.
  13. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The snow is black by March, creeks smell like crap and by Christmas you are tired of riding in the basement. Born in the Buckeye state. Thank God I moved to a 3rd World country.
  14. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    I came from Enduro, so always ran O-ring chains on everything. I've been pretty amazed how well the standard chains hold up on my trials bike.....
    Riding buddy was a mechanic for Pro Flat Track teams. They had chain dynamometer, and would test a case of chains to find the fast ones! He would never an O-ring chain on his woods bike ever. I still run O-ring on my enduro bikes.
    jonnyc21 and lineaway like this.
  15. jeffs2200

jeffs2200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought about putting some flag style hand gaurds on my TRS that could be easily removed. I’ve had vines where I normally ride get ahold of my front brake a few times and cause unfortunate events. Also had them pull my lanyard off my kill switch a bunch of times. I’d never eeven consider running full wrap style though. They would have to be easy to remove. I wouldn’t want to be seen in public with them.
  16. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I used to use 2 chains - one was soaked in my parts washer solvent overnight, then spent a few days in gear oil, then hung to drip. Monday the bike would be washed and prepped and got ready for the next sunday's trial...I would hook up the clean chain and pull it on taking the dirty one off. Then it was that chains time for soaking. never wore a chain out. Coming back to Twinshock in the 21st Centrury I was only riding once a month, so just used a single chain and slipped it on before a trial. Didn't wear that one out either.
    Ymirtrials, lineaway and y4m4 like this.
  17. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Backwards? You're NOT supposed to go BACKWARDS! An O ring chain might help keep me from getting 5's?
    Norman Foley likes this.
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    With your well rounded riding activities, you do not ride indoor events? I bet you went backwards several times in that fun Enduro!
    2whlrcr likes this.
  19. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would love to find some quick install hand guards for the trials bike. My back yard trails are very overgrown, I am constantly running little saplings over and pushing vines out of the way. I have been tossed on the ground on more than one occasion because something grabbed my front brake or pulled my clutch lever.
    jonnyc21 and Norman Foley like this.
  20. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    An open roller chain might open up a bit of power on your 150. I thought about it on mine. The chains are cheap enough to replace on a regular basis. I am thinking about a YZ125X for my next woods bike, I might try an open chain.
    North ride and Norman Foley like this.